November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

Why, yes, I had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday. Thanks for asking. What's that you say? Thanksgiving wasn't yesterday? Oh, but yes it was. Let me take a few steps back and guide you through our Thanksgiving weekend.

Thursday. Something viral this way comes. Beth becomes incredibly ill. Later, Thanksgiving is officially canceled. Chris hangs out with the kids, Beth spends the day in bed. Thanksgiving dinner is made - mac and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. Just like the pilgrims. Chris spends Thanksgiving night solo watching cheesy sci-fi movies from the 50's - Voyage To The Seventh Planet and Mars Needs Women if you're curious.

Friday. Beth remains under the weather. Mia swings a play-date with her cousin. Owen keeps Beth company watching Toy Story 3. Mia returns, Chinese food is ordered, Beth eats crackers, everyone minus Chris goes to bed. More cheesy sci-fi movies are watched - Man From Planet X (so-so), Invasion of the Star Creatures (terrible, aborted after 5 minutes) and Gog (surprisingly decent).

Saturday. Beth operating at 75%. Four of us attempt lunch out (the chip restaurant). Three of us eat. Chris then takes Mia to a movie - Tangled. Chris and Mia both think the movie is freakin' brilliant so they run home, buy the soundtrack and proceed to listen to it over and over again. Beth cooks dinner. Surprisingly, she eats. Kids go to bed followed shortly by Beth. More cheesy sci-fi movies are watched - Invasion of the Star Creatures (second attempt, aborted after an additional 3 minutes), Phantom from Space (insipid), and Visit to a Small Planet (a surprisingly good and utterly charming little movie) - then Chris finally attempts to sleep in his own bed with his wife only to be called from his slumber repeatedly by a restless (or jealous?) Owen.

Sunday. Beth is at 100%. Chris sleeps in. Thanksgiving dinner with the entire family is had. Better late than never. In fact, pretty awesome.

Though the long weekend was rough, it taught me a few things. Mainly, that family is awesome and that you can't beat a family who will turn their holiday plans completely upside down for you in a time of need. And that, my friends, is what I'm most thankful for. Of course, I also learned that mac and cheese makes for a shitty Thanksgiving dinner but that's neither here nor there.

Posted by Chris at November 29, 2010 6:13 AM
Comments

I know the feeling. We had last minute Chinese one Thanksgiving in San Francisco. I woke up too sick to cook. Finally got it done on Saturday.

Glad Beth's over whatever it was.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at November 29, 2010 6:46 AM

Poor Beth! I'm glad to hear she's feeling better.

A few Christmases ago I had the flu hit me just as about 20 people were entering my house. I watched present opening from the top of the stairs and I think it was the first time my brother in law ever washed or dried dishes.

Posted by: NancyJ at November 29, 2010 8:11 AM

Glad Beth is better. I would have been crushed to miss a turkey dinner, so happy the family waited for you all.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 29, 2010 8:13 AM

Glad Beth has recovered and glad that you got to have Thanksgiving dinner (better late than never!).

We saw Tangled too and all four of us loved it!

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 29, 2010 9:45 AM

1) I think it's so awesome that the family postponed Thanksgiving for you guys. That's what it's all about, right? 2) I am kind of jealous of you seeing Tangled. 3) What do you order when you order Chinese food? I am not veg., but I do mostly only eat meat if I know where it comes from, it was raised humanely, etc. Chinese is an exception, as I almost always do veggie mu shu and steamed broccoli, and then succumb to general tso's chicken. Any recommendations?

Posted by: Caitlin at November 29, 2010 9:54 AM

A little random, but based on your film choices: I would recommend taking a cult film class at a local university / college. I took one later in my college career, and it was fascinating; plus got to spend saturday mornings watching movies and then got to write papers about them ( which I'll admit I enjoy! ).

Also, if you've never checked out the horror movie classic Them ( from the 1950's ) about giant ants, well worth the watch. Same with the original the Thing.

One final note: May want to bulk up on the cranberry juice; you're living in a biohazard zone for a bit, and the cranberry juice will help your body's * ahem * juices flowing.

Welcome back!

Posted by: metawizard at November 29, 2010 10:37 AM

I would 100% agree it's not the actual day that matters, but the taking time out to spend together.

Hugs to Beth in hopes that she's 100% good and that the kids don't catch the illness!

Posted by: alektra at November 29, 2010 11:10 AM

Oh wow! Daya threw up Wednesday night and I thought we would have to cancel plans, but she just slept for 13 1/2 hours and was fine. i am glad no one else caught the virus!!

Tangled! i want to go see that!

Posted by: jessica at November 29, 2010 1:38 PM

Glad Beth is feeling better, and that you have a lovely family who made the holiday work :)

Posted by: Heather at November 29, 2010 3:07 PM

Glad that Beth is feeling better!

It is the company, not the day.

Posted by: Krush at November 29, 2010 7:59 PM

A single flower does not make a spring.

Posted by: cheap Nike shox at June 3, 2011 11:23 PM