November 3, 2010

The Force

The force is strong with us.

A while back I mentioned the fact that I'd just watched Star Wars with my kids. It was a hit. So much so that over the last month, we've managed to watch all three of the original movies. And now everything in my house revolves around Stars Wars and its characters. Last night, fr example, Mia and I made paper dolls. But not ordinary paper dolls. No. Star Wars paper dolls - paper Darth, paper Leia, paper Ewoks and paper lightsabers. And we are now framing behavioral expectations with Owen in very Star Wars-centric terms. WWLSD - What Would Luke Skywalker Do?

Me: Owen, please don't kick.
Owen: I want to.
Me: Owen, Luke would never kick his father even after he found out that he was one of the leading figures in the Galactic Empire.
Owen: Okay. I won't kick.

This weekend, in fact, my kids called me Darth Vader a good 75% of the time. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't take it personally or see that as a reflection of my parenting style. But still. Darth and the kids had quite a weekend.

darth.costumes.jpg Darth went trick-or-treating. darth.slide.jpg Darth played with the kids.

darth.bikeride.jpg
Darth taught Mia how to ride a bike.

I saw the original Star Wars movies when they hit theaters for the first time. Yes, I'm that old and truth be told I was five when the first one came out so admittedly a little young. But I loved them. Thirty years later, the films carry the same weight and are having the same effect on kids.

Why is that? What's so magic abut Star Wars? How many times have you seen the movies?

Posted by Chris at November 3, 2010 6:54 AM
Comments

I fell asleep in the movie theater during the very 1st Star Wars movie! I must have had a late night the night before....
I've only really watched and enjoyed the 1st of the pre-quels. I was never a big science fiction-type person, books or movies.

Posted by: NancyJ at November 3, 2010 8:15 AM

I'm pretty sure I have lost count. What I like about Star Wars is it's one of those movie sagas that I don't have to evaluate whether or not my kids are too young for it. I think they should see it and it'll do them good. My three year old just saw Empire the other day and while he doesn't get everything, he was still glued to it.

Posted by: Claire at November 3, 2010 8:16 AM

I love Star Wars as I kid (I begged my mom to be R2D2 for Halloween when I was 4 or 5, but she couldn't figure out how to make the costume), but for some reason, I just can't get into the movies anymore.

Posted by: stephanie at November 3, 2010 8:51 AM

I've seen the first three too many times to count. And while the classic story line is what always brings you back, the music is the force (he) that holds it all together. If you replace John Williams with anybody else, the whole thing would just collapse under its own weight.

Posted by: J at November 3, 2010 8:57 AM

I don't have any idea how many times I've seen the movies (the originals, I've seen I & II once and never III since they didn't match up to my exalted memories of the first 3). I don't know what it is about them, but Elliot loves them and at 7 knows more than I ever did about the whole story. He got the originals for Christmas last year and I for his birthday last week. I'm guessing Santa will bring the rest. Add in his addiction to Legos and the Star Wars Lego game for Wii, and it's all Star Wars, all the time in our house!

Love the pictures, by the way. :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 3, 2010 9:02 AM

I saw the original Star Wars when it first came out...at a Drive In Theater.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen the movies. My son and I have been driving my wife nuts for months. We have a running gag in the house to find at least one opportunity every day to exclaim, "It's a trap!"

Posted by: COD at November 3, 2010 9:12 AM

I saw the original movies in the theater, too. Now I have a five year old son. I can't count the number I've times I've seen them at this point! We also employ the WWLSD tactic in our house. That and WWIJD (Indiana Jones). In our house, my son is Luke/Indy, my daughter is Leia/Short Round, my husband is Darth Vader/Dr. Jones and I am Chewie/Marion.

Posted by: Akofaolain at November 3, 2010 10:04 AM

I am far too slow with my blogging as I have a whole post about this too! (in my head).

We have watched all six -- We decided to do something different and watch them in story-line cronological order. The kids all knew the story main points of the story, as they got it all from Lego Star Wars for Wii, so there was no concern about spoilers - "yes, that cute little boy becomes Darth Vader". My husbands condition on it all was that after the six, we watch Spaceballs, which my five-year-old actually enjoyed more :-S

But then he dressed up as Yoda for Halloween and my 8 year-old as Princess Leia. So yes, kind of a motif in our house of late, which is an fluffy way of saying "obsession" (there are costume pictures on my facebook, if you'd like to see. Someday soon, I'll write a post about their construction).

Posted by: harmzie at November 3, 2010 12:10 PM

love the editing, darth :)

Posted by: kati at November 3, 2010 12:41 PM

My nephew Ian, who is 6, could go all day long talking about nothing but Star Wars and be in heaven. Well, Star Wars and Legos. Aside from that nothing really needs to be talked about.

Posted by: Librarian Girl at November 3, 2010 12:49 PM

Goof. Um, I don't think I've seen the first three all the way through in one sitting. Bits and pieces here and there, really.

Posted by: Heather at November 3, 2010 1:44 PM

Um, our teenager wildly prefers the recent Star Wars movies. The first few, he finds somewhat lame as they weren't as savvy with today's graphics. He doesn't understand that in their day, these movies rocked. My favorites are still the first 2. Saw at the movies like you did.

Living with 2 Star Wars freaks. Not wild enough to go to conventions dressed as them, but serious fans. The boy is constantly trying to get us to watch a Star Wars movie with him every weekend.

Recommendation: Find the series, Star Wars Clone Wars and see if the kids like it. My son and I watch it together.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at November 3, 2010 1:56 PM

Oh Lord! I've seen it a gazillion times, because I love that movie.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 3, 2010 3:06 PM

My almost 4 year old looooooooves the Star Wars movies. She always wants daddy to "talk like Chewy". Her first Halloween she was Princess Leia.

Personally, I have seen the moves 30+ times each.

Posted by: Jen, now in AZ at November 3, 2010 3:25 PM

The newer 3, I really don't care for. George Lucas really shit the bed on those.

Posted by: Jen, now in AZ at November 3, 2010 3:34 PM

I was about 3 when I saw it for the first time in the theater. Still remember how dark Vader's armor looked against the white of the Rebel ship's wall!

The kids are huge fans, but I've kind of reached a point where I need a break. I'll admit, I've got a lot of frustration with Lucas, both for the last 3 movies, and for the money whore thing ( if you make one more special edition... )

That being said, there is just so much awesomeness in all three of those movies ( the only three that matter ) that I know I'll come back around to them. Yoda got to me long before any minister, and I suppose that the Force was my first touch with the divine; that sort of thing sticks with you.

Awesome photoshopping by the way. :)

Austin

Posted by: metawizard at November 3, 2010 4:09 PM

love the pics. the first one is my fav :)

Posted by: Steph D at November 3, 2010 4:49 PM

Ran across this and thought of your recent post.

Posted by: Mike at November 3, 2010 5:14 PM

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't tell you if I've seen any of them at all, though I've almost certainly seen one of them... I really, really don't like science fiction and can't imagine ever wanting to watch Star Wars (I may have been forced to watch one of the - I presume - more recent ones as I seem to remember Ewan McGregor being in it, but I couldn't tell you what it was about or who was who. I may even have fallen asleep). I guess Star Wars really is a love it or hate it type thing...
Personally, I much prefer musicals... Now, if you'd asked me how many times I've seen Grease, that would be a whole different story!

Posted by: Kirsty at November 3, 2010 5:29 PM

The Force is strong, Chris. Very, very strong.

I saw Empire Strikes back in the theater - with my cousins and NO PARENTS (first time ev-uh and we were OH SO COOL in the very first row!)for my birthday. 6th, I believe.

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen the movie. Especially back in the 80s when HBO owned the rights to play them every day of the week for months on end and I watched every. single. time. they. were. on. And my parents? They would roll their eyes - and then - The Force overtook them and next thing you know "scoot over, I like this part."

Sharing it with my kids has been awesome, and they love it like I loved it. Love it. Wait.

Posted by: Mindy at November 3, 2010 6:11 PM