November 5, 2010

The Weeklies #154

The Weekly Realization. Christmas? A month and a half away. How did that happen?

The Weekly Read. Rounding out my month o' horror, I bravely tackled Afraid by Jack Kilborn. It was, perhaps, the scariest of the novels I read in October despite the seemingly unscary premise. I also read John Everson's The Covenant which was not scary and was not even all that good. Overall, my month 'o horror made for some fun reading. But I think I'm ready for something different.

The Weekly Time-Waster. Grayscale.

The Weekly Historical Blog. If you're at all interested in the Civil War (which, admittedly, I am not) Disunion is a blog established by the New York Times that recounts the Civil War in blog format in real time. And despite the fact that the Civil War has never really captivated me, the site is truly fascinating.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I was incredibly giddy when Christine O'Donnell lost her bid for office in Delaware. And I loved the fact that in her non-concession concession speech she claimed "we won!" What's better? Gawker's one-night stand story of Christine's drunken Halloween romp.

The Weekly Question. If you were forced to change jobs right now and money was not an option, what profession would you pursue?

Posted by Chris at November 5, 2010 7:17 AM
Comments

I'd have more children.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 5, 2010 7:51 AM

People need to stop reminding me how close Christmas is, because I'm due to have another kid a week before and time is flying by too fast. :)

If I had to change jobs right now I'd open a bakery/coffee shop/breakfast restaurant. Either that or I'd run a bed and breakfast.

Posted by: Jessie at November 5, 2010 8:40 AM

Xmas - I know, this year just sort of evaporated!

Teaching; I would teach college age / adults computer programming.

Posted by: metawizard at November 5, 2010 9:04 AM

If I could go back to school without worrying about having to pay for it, I'd either get a Ph.D. in immunology or become a pediatric nutritionist, or open a bookstore. I know, I'm a total geek :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 5, 2010 9:10 AM

It would still be an internet/online job like the one I have now. I'd like to work for Gizmodo and research and write articles on gadgets and technology.

Posted by: Brad at November 5, 2010 9:29 AM

If money were no object i'd really want to open up a little cafe with a used book exchange and live music. I just want to make people happy with food and relaxation.

I can't believe Christmas is just around the corner. Seriously. This time of year just flies.

Posted by: Beth at November 5, 2010 10:00 AM

I'm also assuming that I could get the job I wanted to get, so probably go to directing or producing television or movies. Maybe voiceovers... And the money would go to making sure I wouldn't have to live in L.A.

Posted by: alektra at November 5, 2010 10:55 AM

I'd be a full-time birth doula.

Posted by: zanie at November 5, 2010 12:15 PM

I am ridiculously happy about Christmas. Dude. I need me some happy this year.

I'd be a farmer in Park City, Utah. Yep. I would be.

Posted by: Mindy at November 5, 2010 12:35 PM

Combination coffeehouse, bookstore, and practice studio. I have a number of soundproof rooms, each with a piano (and space for another instrument, if desired). Each table in the coffeehouse would have headphones and jacks wired to the practice rooms, so you could listen to anyone who wanted to share their music (controllable by the performer, of course). I got the idea from the project in NY where they put pianos on street corners, available for anyone to play.

Posted by: J at November 5, 2010 1:30 PM

Photographer. In spite of the fact that I have trouble connecting with people (I mean real in-your-face people, not imaginary blog people).

Maybe I'd go all Ansel Adams and just take really great photos of rocks.

Posted by: harmzie at November 5, 2010 4:04 PM

I might have to be all ridiculously old school and say wife and mother. Those are two jobs I greatly want in my life, and even if I may not be perfectly ready for it now, I would love to have some sort of assurance that it will happen eventually.
Otherwise, (or in addition to, really!) I'd like to be a child psychologist. Possibly specializing in trauma, and helping out in short-term situations like Haiti, helping people deal with what happened and working with a team to find holistic solutions.
Also, I want to be a horse breeder with a bit ol' farm.

Posted by: Heather at November 5, 2010 4:38 PM

Do I have to have a job?

Seriously, I could fill my time with odd little volunteer projects and photography, be linked into my community AND get a great sense of satisfaction.

Posted by: Nat at November 5, 2010 6:59 PM

I would jump at the chance to work for a pro-ball team (preferably a National League Baseball team, but really any ball team would work for me). I'd do just about anything for them - except laundry. I hate doing my own laundry as it is.

Posted by: Melissa at November 5, 2010 9:47 PM

Cheesy though it may sound, I would TOTALLY opt for being a stay-at-home mom. It's my dream job to get to take my kid to reading time at the library and play dates at the park and swimming lessons next summer and do art projects in our kitchen . . .

Posted by: Nichole at November 6, 2010 2:08 AM

I would homeschool my three kids.

On another note... I am no fan of Christine O'Donnell, but it seems a bit odd to me that it is newsworthy that this woman may have had a one-night stand with someone at some time in the past. I can't recall anyone ever publicizing a one-night affair with a single, 20-something man that eventually ran for office. Is it a bit sexist that we care about her dalliances?

Posted by: K at November 6, 2010 9:06 AM

Yes. The article is sexist. And disgusting. And would never be written about a man. And sexist. And disgusting.

Posted by: Rachel at November 6, 2010 4:22 PM

I love the idea of money being no object....
I'd love to hang out with my dog and cute little puppies everyday.
When I was a little girl I thought I might enjoy being a librarian.
Then there's the idea of being a product tester. I'm getting into that - too bad it doesn't pay....

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at November 6, 2010 10:52 PM

Hands down, if money was not factored in, I would be a librarian. I have always loved books and the smell of them... I am also one of those weird people that like to 'file' and do office work. So the quietness and orderliness of the library would suit me just fine. If only........

Posted by: Christine at November 8, 2010 4:18 PM

Thank you very good Site. I like this site.. I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed the show very much. HO Hoqo

Regards..

Posted by: girls games at November 14, 2010 5:00 PM

This internet site is my inhalation

Posted by: ugg outlet at September 26, 2011 2:44 AM

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this outstanding blog!

Posted by: ugg sale at September 26, 2011 2:44 AM