November 19, 2010

The Weeklies #156

The Weekly Relief. So, the presentation that I mentioned on Tuesday morning is over. It went well. I can now sleep. And stop popping Tums every half hour.

The Weekly Peeve. People who pluralize things and use apostrophes to do so.

The Weekly Read. Some site, somewhere made a big deal out of The Silver Bear by Derek Haas. I can't quite see why anyone was so enthusiastic about it. It's a fairly straightforward, unoriginal assassin story. It was reasonably interesting but certainly not mind-blowing. The Rain series by Barry Eisler or Tom Cain's two novels are far better should you find yourself in the mood for tales of suave international hit men.

The Other Weekly Peeve. Adults who introduce themselves to me as Mr. or Mrs. whatever.

The Weekly Music. Apple's enormous announcement this week turned out to be a dud. Instead of streaming iTunes libraries or storing our tunes in the cloud, we got The Beatles. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a fan. But it's 2010. We all know how to rip CDs, right?

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I'm pretty much in the minority in that I don't watch Dancing With The Stars. But I can't help but get interested in the brewing Palin controversy. See, Bristol - oddly named offspring of Sarah - has finished at the bottom of the heap week after week. Yet she's still on the show. Many are crying foul, mapping out vast conspiracies. Me? As Sarah would say, I don't flippin' care.

The Weekly Question. What's behind the obsession with British royalty? Now that there's a royal wedding in the future, it seems like we're once again obsessed with the monarchy.

Posted by Chris at November 19, 2010 7:02 AM
Comments

I suppose it's like being able to watch a "Fairy Tale". Of course with the Queens own kids, it was like "Grimm's Fairy Tales", in that each marriage was a nightmare, with the exception of the youngest, who, it appears, married for love.
I guess my hope is, that William and Kate are really in love and live happily ever after. What happened to Diana was so tragic, and one can only hope that her sons have a happier life.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 19, 2010 8:13 AM

Shoot. Now I have been outed as a Monarchy Watcher!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 19, 2010 8:14 AM

Ah, the Royals. Most people in my country don't even know they are ours, too.

What if the Mrs. or Mr. in question is a teacher? I don't do it, but many of my colleagues do. However, it irks me a little when after repeated interactions, parents still call me Madame (I teach French). Really, they can call me Heather.

Posted by: Heather at November 19, 2010 8:51 AM

You should respond to their Mr./Mrs. introduction by introducing yourself to these people as Daddy Cactus.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 19, 2010 9:17 AM

I'm British and I don't know what the obsession with British Royalty is either!!!

Only good thing is we might get a day's public holiday out of it!! (is that enough to counterract the hoards of Taiwan-produced tacky Royal Wedding souvenirs that are doubtless going to flood the country? I think not!)

(And, just so you know, I am SOOO with you on the (for eg) plural's - screeeeaaam!)

Posted by: Baroness at November 19, 2010 9:38 AM

I like the royal weddings just for the hats. You can't beat the Brits for formal hats.

I also don't watch Dancing with the Stars. I had no idea there was controversy. It's a good thing I don't work in an office. I'd suck at water cooler chatter.

Posted by: Annie at November 19, 2010 10:17 AM

What's wrong with introducing yourself with formality? I don't see it very often anymore, but it used to be very common. I wouldn't call myself Mrs. R., but in a formal situation I might introduce myself as Ms. Jen R., "but you can call me Jen."

I would like to teach my children to call adults by Mr./Ms. as a form of respect, but is that going to tick other people off? Hmm.

It's so hard to please everyone. :(

Of course, if you are hanging out at the bar downing some beer and watching the football game and some dude in casual duds walks up, "Yo, I'm Mr. Cactus," I could see how that'd be really pretentious. :D

Posted by: Jen R. (emeraldsunshine.org) at November 19, 2010 10:25 AM

Royal weddings are important to us because every little girl dreams of being a princess. Ask Mia if she cares about the regular girl in England who is marrying a Prince. See if she wants to get up at 2 am to watch the wedding. I'm betting she'll be all over that.

Posted by: kalisa at November 19, 2010 10:34 AM

I also do not watch Dancing with the Stars! Everyone at the acupuncturist's office was all worked up about it on Wednesday and I could tell I disappointed them with my "no, I'm sorry, I don't watch that one." Thank you for making me feel like less of a weirdo. :)

In general I do not get the monarchy (really? we're supposed to think they are better than us because someone in their family did something 500 years ago?) but I'll admit that a royal wedding is fun.

Posted by: hillary at November 19, 2010 10:45 AM

It's a real life fairy tale. Castles and kings and queens and horses and pretty dresses and lots of flowers and singing bluebirds and talking deer. Er. Wait.

But sorta.

And with the world in the toilet right now - a little magic and fancy would be nice.

Posted by: Mindy at November 19, 2010 11:40 AM

I'm British and I loved the royal weddings of the 80s, but I was a child then and easily impressed by flowers, silk and pretty dresses. I'm actually really shocked by how many of my friends on Facebook are genuinely really bothered by it all. Hopefully we'll get a public holiday out of it!

Posted by: Katherine at November 19, 2010 3:49 PM

I was a kid in the 1980s and remember being made to watch Charles and Diana's wedding and thinking, even then, how I really couldn't give a damn... But believe me, worse than any royal wedding was Diana's funeral... I'm just grateful I was already in France by then because it was hideous - you couldn't say a word against her (a friend of mine is a primary school teacher and, when one of her kids' parents asked if the school would be provding psychological support for the kids upset by Diana's death, my friend laughed - she said it was like she'd personally killed Diana!), though by all accounts there were no traffic jams on any motorways that day, so travel was great. Don't get me wrong - I was sad FOR HER KIDS that she'd died, but me, personally, I couldn't stand her and just couldn't get worked up about her dying...
As for Will and Kate, well, they met at my old university (though I was there long before they were) and it's interesting to see St Andrews on the news after all these years (I haven't been back since 2000).

Posted by: Kirsty at November 19, 2010 10:30 PM

I am SO with you on the first peeve!

Posted by: Heather at November 20, 2010 12:23 AM

Guilty as charged...I'm a royal watcher. But I'm not obsessed, really, I'm not. I used to be as a kid, but as an adult, and a British citizen with dual US citizenship, it's my connection to my birth country. I am happy for Prince William...it appears he may have found 'the one' (who really knows but the two of them, and I'm okay with that).

What drives me crazy, the media speculation and hounding. I wish that would go away.

Posted by: cyndy at November 22, 2010 10:55 AM

Quelqu'un peut-il me dire comment obtenir les avatars peu à montrer dans ma section des commentaires? merci!

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:23 AM