November 12, 2010

The Weeklies #155

The Weekly Beer. Starr Hill Pale Ale

The Weekly Read. Despite the fact that October is over, I finished off one horror novel that I started at the very end of this past month - Dark Mountain by Richard Laymon. I've always liked Laymon despite the fact that his books read like slasher b-movies. They're fun. This was no exception. Was it good literature? Absolutely not. But it was fast-paced and mindless and that's pretty much what I was paying it for.

The Weekly Music. OK GO is pretty much the most brilliant band when it comes to generating viral music videos. Their most recent is no exception. It also uses 2,400+ pieces of toast. Enjoy.

The Weekly Time Waster. I've got to give a shout-out to Angry Birds (or, as Owen calls is Mean Birds). It is terrifically addictive and seemingly endless (I'm on, like, level billion).

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Charlie Sheen seems to be wondering aloud lately about why there's so much fuss about a guy who had "one bad night." Usually "bad nights" don't involve stolen watches, mounds of cocaine, public nudity, a trashed hotel room at the Plaza and a $12,000 hooker. At least mine don't.

The Weekly Question. Is it wrong that I want to read George Bush's new memoir, not to point and laugh but out of genuine curiosity?

Posted by Chris at November 12, 2010 7:18 AM
Comments

No it's not wrong. I would hope that more people would. After all, I read Pres. Clinton's book! It's all about perspective "after".

Posted by: Maribeth at November 12, 2010 7:22 AM

Mmmmm....toast.

I am kind of leaning towards reading the whole Bush memoir. I have seen a couple of interviews and the man seems a little humbler now and nicer. I think the whole "my mom saved my sibling/fetus in a jar" story could have remained within the family.

Posted by: Debbie at November 12, 2010 7:42 AM

If you do decide to read it, please get it from your local library, don't give any money to that asshat.

I have no desire to read it whatsoever after seeing him on some interviews and realizing he is completely self absorbed and has not a bit of insight into how his actions (or lack of) played into anything. He has no humility, no shame. No regrets. And Kayne saying he doesn't like black people was the low point of his Presidency? really? What about Katrina? 9/11? Ring any bells See lack of insight. What a tool.

Posted by: Lisa at November 12, 2010 8:03 AM

I kind of want to read it too but I fear that I would be so astounded by the stupidity that I wouldn't be able to function in daily life. Probably not a good state to be in if you have children.

Posted by: Claire at November 12, 2010 8:33 AM

But you're going to point and laugh too, right? Seriously, though, I think I've had enough and I haven't even read it. I second the recommendation about getting it from a library or book swap; no need to line his pockets.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 12, 2010 9:22 AM

I've heard enough clips from the book and from watching the NBC interview to realize the man didn't learn a thing while looking back. Not that I'd buy it anyhow.

Heard sales were way under what they hoped. Pity.

Have a good weekend. It's cold and clammy here in sunny Democratic California.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at November 12, 2010 10:38 AM

Nothing wrong with wanting to read the book, but I heard him speaking on NPR last night about excerpts, and once again his 9/11 moment has changed description to meet a more historic tone other than "I was sitting on the chair holding a book about goats". So I'd imagine much of it has a revisionist "And then I heroically did this..." tone to it.

Got to give him kudos for this quote though:
"There are a lot of people who thought I couldn't read a book, much less write one." How true, George, how true...

Have a great weekend; and how about a Sci Fi month for your reading benders?

Posted by: metawizard at November 12, 2010 10:49 AM

I bought the book for the same reason. I am compelled to see what he says.

greenie

Posted by: greenie at November 12, 2010 11:10 AM

1)Cheers on your beer choice. Starr hill is seriously good stuff. Might I also recommend anything from Heavy Seas out of Baltimore if you can get your hands on it (the loose cannon ipa is good stuff…Total Wine carries it).

2)Couldn't agree more about Angry Birds. It's my time killer when I'm waiting for our remote server coupled with our crappy internet connection to allow me to get my job done.

Posted by: Beth at November 12, 2010 11:38 AM

I want to read it, so I can know how that dude sleeps at night. But I don't want to pay for it. I read a novel that was apparently based upon the life of Laura Bush and I was kind of horrified. So maybe I don't want to read one that is unabashedly non-fiction.

Posted by: Brooke Habecker at November 12, 2010 12:45 PM

That's rather an amazing lot of toast. I hope someone got to eat it, that they used edible ink and then took it down to a shelter or something. Not that cold toast is the yummiest ever, but waste. ugh.
Aaaanyway. I like the "get it from the library" argument ;-)

Posted by: Heather at November 12, 2010 1:09 PM

No autobiography is anything but fiction. I don't think anyone can be completely honest about their lives with the entire world and actually have the self-awareness to do so at the same time.

Posted by: alektra at November 12, 2010 1:20 PM

White Knuckles is definitely my favorite - but then again, it has rescue dogs. No wonder.

Posted by: Heather at November 12, 2010 2:16 PM

Read this before you decide about the W book

Ahahahahahahaah!

Posted by: Lisa at November 12, 2010 4:00 PM

I love that video--and that song. I'm going out to buy the cd now (because yes, I do still listen to cds! No judging!)

And I'm also really, really curious to read Bush's memoir, which is not my usual reading genre and I was a total Bush hater while he was in office. But I'll probably pick it up at the library instead of wasting my hard-earned money.

Posted by: Angela at November 12, 2010 4:21 PM

1) That video is an impressive piece of animation. Seriously.

2) I would love to read Bush's memoir, because I, too, am geniunely curious to get his perspective on things. What was he thinking at the time? How does he feel about all of it now? It's got to be fascinating and I figure I'll come out of it either having some respect for the dude or wondering how on earth we elected a monkey for president (and perhaps feeling a bit bad that he was just a pawn in his own government).

Posted by: Dawn at November 12, 2010 6:55 PM

I'm so glad you mentioned reading Bush's memoir. Because I want to read it, too. Of course, I would never buy it, but I definitely want to read it!

Also, Angry Birds? Best game ever. I have it on my Droid and I'm only on level 9 million, but it's so much fun!

Posted by: Stephanie at November 13, 2010 1:15 PM