December 10, 2010

The Weeklies #158

The Weekly Affliction. Sickness in the form of a cold has taken my ass out. I'm on day three of working out of my basement, wrapped in a fuzzy red blanket.

The Weekly Beverage. AlkaSeltzer Cold. And beer. Though not together.

The Weekly Cool Site. Ever wanted to know exactly how long it would take to pay off that new car or cool pair of shoes you've had your eye on? Days To Pay will tell you just that.

The Weekly Viral Video Awesomeness. Check this out and stay with it. It doesn't seem like anything spectacular at first but hang on.

The Weekly Read. This week, I tried something a little different. A self-published ebook. Free to Die by Bob McElwain wasn't half bad. It was certainly worth the price - it was free. Sure, the writing was a little weak in spots (the dialog was just unconvincing in places) but overall it was worth a read. I look forward to finding some more self-published stuff out there.

The Weekly Movie. Beth picked up some kids' DVDs from the library the other day but managed to bring home something for us - Lars and the Real Girl. About a man who falls in love with a sex doll, it looks pretty dumb. But after looking at the box sitting there beside the TV for two weeks, we finally gave it a shot. It was a quiet, understated and very quirky movie that turned out to be insanely good. Sure, it's weird and unconventional and throughout I couldn't give up my obsession with the fact that Ryan Gosling looks exactly David Arquette so much so that I'm wondering if they're not the same person. That aside, it was a charming little movie that you should watch.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I think between my vicious cold and yesterday's terrible hair, that's enough schedfreude for one week.

The Weekly Question. What are you most hoping shows up under the Christmas tree?

Posted by Chris at December 10, 2010 7:30 AM
Comments

It won't be there. I really want a new recliner, but it's not in the cards for this year.

Posted by: Maribeth at December 10, 2010 8:31 AM

Mike Rowe, but he might protest. Come to think of it, my husband might protest too :P

For real: a nice, plush, 100% cotton bathrobe.

Hope you feel better!

Posted by: Elizabeth at December 10, 2010 8:50 AM

Seconding the Lars and the Real Girl love. Really sweet, surprising little movie. (Although I'm happy to say I never noticed any similarities between Ryan Gosling and David Arquette.)

You think Santa could fit a house under the Christmas tree? He's magic, right?

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 10, 2010 9:00 AM

I was hoping for a Taylor acoustic guitar. Hope you feel better :-)

Posted by: Julie Andel at December 10, 2010 9:11 AM

I'm hoping for a Nook Color, but its not likely, especially since we can't really afford it. These days, I'm happy to get a meat & cheese gift pack from Hickory Farms.

Posted by: J at December 10, 2010 9:12 AM

Wow, those calculators are scary! AS for what I want under the tree? How about a ledger book with black ink?

Posted by: Martin at December 10, 2010 9:36 AM

My husband put Lars in our Netflix queue and when it came I was all eye-rolly. The description just makes it sound awful. Obviously, I loved it. It just kept getting better and better and richer and richer the further along it went. He was right, I was wrong.

His current selection is "Ninja Assassin." I don't think I'll be admitting my wrongness on that one.

Posted by: Cherie Beyond at December 10, 2010 10:06 AM

I hope you feel better!

And I would give Santa my left arm for a MacBook. :)

Posted by: Kate M. at December 10, 2010 11:27 AM

I just saw "Lars and the Real Girl" a couple of weeks ago. Such a sweet movie!! Another favorite, quiet quirky movie is "Stranger than Fiction."

I'd like a nice single guy to show up under the Christmas tree. :-)

Posted by: Sandy at December 10, 2010 12:05 PM

Well, I asked for a delicious new Swatch, so that's mainly what I'm hoping for. Frankly, I'll be happy if my husband has managed to get up the energy to get me anything at all.

Posted by: Brooke at December 10, 2010 12:07 PM

Check your link for the viral video. All I get is the Days to Pay again. Thanks!

For Christmas, I would love to have a new job in Dallas so that I could end my exile in Oklahoma.
Pretty please.

Posted by: Pat at December 10, 2010 12:08 PM

Oh Chris, you posted this just a tad too early. Your schadenfreude would've been Miley Cyrus' Up in Smoke video.

I don't have a Christmas tree put up so nothing under there. ;-D However, I'm hoping to get rolling with the plan to sell my clunker and buy me a shiny new Hyundai Sonata. ;-)

Posted by: oakley at December 10, 2010 12:18 PM

I know I won't get it but my dream would be to find an iPad under the tree. Hope you get to feeling all better real soon.

Posted by: Trish V at December 10, 2010 1:07 PM

I loved Lars and the Real Girl. And you may be right that those two are the same guy. Suspect.

I am fighting off my second round of strep throat this week, so I feel your illness pain.

I keep asking for a houseboy, but no one has gotten me one yet.

Posted by: Annie at December 10, 2010 2:17 PM

LOVE Lars and the Real Girl! I was all eye-rolly too when my sister took me to see it in the movies but it was so so touching, I bought it and it's one of our favorites.
I would really really like to see an IPad under my tree but I know unless I buy it myself it won't happen (it's my job to provide all that stuff). I can't justify it either so I guess I'll just put a bathing suit under the tree to remind myself I'm going to Cancun on January 2nd to the 9th!

Posted by: NancyJ at December 10, 2010 3:36 PM

I LOVED Lars and the Real Girl. I'm glad you came across it.

Posted by: Heather at December 10, 2010 3:55 PM

Gosling is way cuter than David Arquette ;) Plus, he's Canadian.
I have no idea what I want under the Christmas tree...we're not doing very many "presents" this year, it's mostly money haha. Mum will do our traditional stockings though and I'm definitely looking forward to that ;)

Posted by: Heather at December 11, 2010 12:58 AM

I want a Keurig coffee maker, YUM!

I have a friend who is a self-published author. It's pretty amazing what she has managed to do all on her own. She did try the traditional publishing route for years before self-publishing, and is still hoping her book gets picked up. She is working on her 2nd novel now and is hoping that gets picked up by a publishing house, but hasn't ruled out self publishing because of the success she had the first time. Her book is available on Amazon in book form and Kindle. She has her book in bookstores all over Annapolis including Barnes & Noble. Check her out, her book is called Receive Me Falling and her name is Erika Robuck, www.erikarobuck.com.

Posted by: Tracy H. at December 11, 2010 11:23 AM