December 3, 2010

The Weeklies #157

The Weekly Beer. Flying Fish Hopfish IPA.

The Weekly Weird Random Fact. Back in WWII, metal was a hot commodity. And pretty much used to blow shit up. The Oscars given out during World War II were made of plaster.

The Weekly Read. Have you ever read Lee Child? If not, and you happen to like suspenseful tales of bad-asses, well, you should. His latest - Worth Dying For is 72 shades of awesome which is surprising since it's his 15th book to feature all-around good-guy Jack Reacher. It's well worth a read but then I haven't found one of his books that isn't.

The Weekly Music. I feel like such a tween. I've been listening to and humming songs from the Tangled soundtrack which prominently features Mandy Moore. I found myself searching iTunes for more Mandy Moore stuff but then said dude, you have a penis and clicked through to the metal category. That said, the soundtrack and the movie are both really good.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Two of the Gosselin kids - you know, spawn of Jon and Kate - got expelled from school. I'm not as surprised by that as I am the fact that the other six haven't gotten expelled as well.

The Weekly Amazon Recommendation Fail. See what happened here?

tangled.jpg

The Weekly Question. Is no one concerned that this whole Korea thing will lead to ALL OUT WAR?!

Posted by Chris at December 3, 2010 7:09 AM
Comments

I'm actually very concerned.

Posted by: daisy at December 3, 2010 8:23 AM

Try Mandy Moore's Wild Hope album. It is really folksy and not teeny boopery. She also has a cover of "Have a little faith in me" that is fantastic.

Thus ends my musical knowledge.

Posted by: jodifur at December 3, 2010 8:24 AM

Absolutely. And I don't like it at all.

Posted by: Maribeth at December 3, 2010 9:05 AM

The recommendation for "Mane and Tail" is not a goof. I used it on my hair (when I had hair down past my waist). It's surprisingly good stuff.

Posted by: Emily at December 3, 2010 9:12 AM

I am not that worried. I don't think North Korea has the military infrastructure needed or the organization needed for a war with us. I don't know if you've noticed but Kim Jong-il is a nutter and his son hasn't dropped far from the tree! But, even crazy people know it takes big money to build up a military presence.

Posted by: Debbie at December 3, 2010 9:30 AM

Yes, I'm worried too. Two of the scariest countries in the world are N. Korea and Pakistan. Psychos with nukes. Not good, not good at all.

Posted by: Elizabeth at December 3, 2010 9:33 AM

North Koreans are bat-shit crazy at the best of times, 'nuff said.

Posted by: LaineyDid at December 3, 2010 9:37 AM

The Jack Reacher series is one of my favorites. I still need to read 61 Hours and Worth Dying For.

Posted by: Rex at December 3, 2010 10:31 AM

re: Korea: I am concerned. :-(

But I am in love with my new Reeder RSS reader that lets me leave comments here without leaving the app.

Posted by: Brooke at December 3, 2010 12:19 PM

Hopfish IPA is good! Have you tried Horny Goat? They have a Milk Stout that is excellent.

My husband is an avid reader of Lee Child. I actually saw him at the MN state fair this summer, but he was gone before I was able to shake his hand.

We went through many stages of music in our house. For a while there was a lot of Kelly Clarkson, Mandy Moore, Demi Lavato, Hannah Montana and Jonas Bros. Now their tastes are settling in on what we listen to. My 9 year old Loves Arcade Fire and has put their latest CD on the top of her Christmas list. So embrace it for now, but it will pass.

Mane and Tail. Yep. I have friends that swear by it for their super long hair.

The Korean thing is pretty scary.

Posted by: molly at December 3, 2010 12:35 PM

Oh wait scratch that.. it was Vince Flynn at the Fair, not Lee Child. The husband reads them both. :)

Posted by: molly at December 3, 2010 12:37 PM

You've already watched Tangled? Jealous! I've heard they had to revise the movie to introduce a stronger male protagonist (versus The Frog Princess) into the plot to attract both sides of the coin.

Posted by: Lizsu at December 3, 2010 1:00 PM

I do love technology. Yours is the second recommendation I've had to read the Reacher series, so I decided it was high time I got started. I opened a new tab, logged in to my library account and put the first two books on hold. They will be pulled from the shelves and ready for me to pick up tomorrow.

Posted by: Melissa at December 3, 2010 1:30 PM

"Is no one concerned that this whole Korea thing will lead to ALL OUT WAR?!"

Pssh. We don't have time to follow THAT when we're too busy finding out why Jon & Kate's kids were kicked out of school.

Posted by: oakley at December 3, 2010 1:38 PM

I remember that mane and tail shampoo from back before it was actually marketed as human shampoo, and it was just for horses but I used it anyway haha. Every once in a while I like a Mandy Moore song too...though it still amuses me a little that you did. I've got to get to Tangled one of these days. It looks fun :) Harry Potter is higher on the list of priorities though heh.

Posted by: Heather at December 3, 2010 1:47 PM

Love your Amazon fail.

Korea is terrifying. We did two tours in Japan and have a whole different appreciation for the delicate balance over there. The scariest part is that the North Koreans really have nothing to loose and everything to gain, which makes them particularly dangerous.

Posted by: Annie at December 3, 2010 3:28 PM

Tangled does look good. I saw a book on Amazon yesterday that I thought you might like: How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu; put it on my Wishlist to check out later, but sounds fascinating and through association was linked up with John Dies at the End ( which is how the association with mentioning to you was formed! )

I think the Korea thing is saber rattling in response to the power transfer. A protracted war would lead to their new leader appearing weaker, as I don't see a scenario in which they could hold on to any gains grabbed. But I think that it is a pretty lousy thing to do ( shelling ) for the sake of politics. Hopefully I'm not being too naive! :)

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: metawizard at December 3, 2010 3:46 PM

The Korea thing is scary. As someone already said, they have nothing to lose.

Another strange WWII metal fact: With copper being in short supply, the government took $15 million worth of silver out of the treasury and it was spun into wire to for the Manhattan Project's centrifuges.

Posted by: Foggy Dew at December 3, 2010 5:10 PM

I am a fan of bad-asses. Would you recommend I read others in the series before this one? Is it a cumulative thing?

Posted by: Amanda at December 4, 2010 1:22 PM