December 17, 2010

The Weeklies #159

The Weekly Beer. Flying Dog IPA

The Weekly Television Addiction. The Sing-Off.

The Weekly Most Unnecessary Invention. The Regio Smart Toilet. It's like the Swiss Army knife of toilets, combining a self-cleaning toilet with a bidet, automatic flushing and deodorizing, automatic seats and lids, two separate flush modes and a media player. Because who doesn't want to rock out while you're dropping the kids off at the pool?

The Weekly Second Most Unnecessary Invention. The VuVutech 5000, a vuvuzela-powered burglar alarm. Check it for yourself.

The Weekly Read. The first Meg Gardiner book I read - The Dirty Secrets Club - was pretty darn good so I just gave another one a try. The Memory Collector was good but, perhaps, not as strong. Don't get me wrong - it was very compelling and entertaining but the plot veered from the truly unique to utterly ridiculous one too many times for my liking. Still, Gardiner can write a good mystery and fill it with interesting characters that make it easy to overlook some of the weak moments.

The Weekly Parenting Fail. I'll go with Owen, running around saying dammit "just like daddy."

The Weekly Time Waster. Fallen From The Moon.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Admittedly, Mark Zuckerberg is onto something. This whole Facebook thing might just catch on. But person of the year? Hardly.

The Weekly Question. When did you stop believing in Santa? And what tipped you off?

Posted by Chris at December 17, 2010 7:00 AM
Comments

THERE'S NO SANTA? WAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Posted by: Jeff A at December 17, 2010 7:35 AM

I wrote Santa a letter and asked a simple question that required an answer. And cutely, he did. Blown cover. I matched it up to my mother.

Posted by: Maribeth at December 17, 2010 8:11 AM

Oh I was about 7 years old.

Posted by: Maribeth at December 17, 2010 8:11 AM

I think I was about ten. It's like I KNEW, but didn't want to give in. On the subject of toilets, have you seen this new Wii game - only in Japan - where you basically pee on this sensor to rack of points? SO weird.

Posted by: Claire at December 17, 2010 8:46 AM

I was 7, I think. My folks always waited until we were asleep on Christmas Eve, then put all the presents under the tree. I woke up once while they were placing the presents, snuck downstairs, ans saw my Dad putting a big present with really shiny paper in the back against the wall. The next morning, reading the tags, I saw that not only did it say 'From Santa', but it was in my mother's handwriting. Busted.

Posted by: J at December 17, 2010 8:50 AM

I had a similar reaction to Meg Gardiner. The Dirty Secrets Club was excellent, so I followed it up with China Lake, which I liked even more. And then I read The Memory Collector, and my face fell in a cartoonish manner. Not only did I find it completely implausible, which ruined the suspense, but the similes were out of control. Did you notice how many things were "like a lighthouse searchlight", "like bulbs in a tumble dryer", or "like a swimmer off the blocks"? It bordered on ridiculous. I think her editor fell asleep on that one.

As for Santa, I think I was around 10. I don't think my mom was trying very hard to keep the secret, because she left a bag with some red shopping-like baskets out in the kitchen. Lo and behold, those baskets turned up Christmas morning with our Santa stocking goodies in them. Oops! I don't think it bothered me that much, and I continued the act for my younger siblings.

Posted by: Jaime at December 17, 2010 8:54 AM

I was a weird little kid who never believed in Santa. The story goes that my mom tried to tell me about Santa when I was two, and that I argued with her, telling her that her story was impossible and didn't make any sense. I think she tried to convince me to believe in Santa for a few years, but I never bought into it.

Today, my mom still writes "Santa" on the gift tags of gift she gives us. I think she may still be hoping to convince me.

Posted by: Melody at December 17, 2010 8:55 AM

Toto toilets always freaked me out. Google has a bunch of them.

I was 5. The Hindu kid in my class tipped me off. I then used logic against Santa, speaking with my mother, to crush the idea into the ground. Not even the power of time zones helped.

Posted by: alektra at December 17, 2010 9:03 AM

I think I was eight when I realized santa and my mother used the same wrapping paper.

(And what a rookie mistake, mom. I'm guessing she was just tired of having to pretend that the fat guy brought all the good stuff)

Posted by: Sarah at December 17, 2010 9:24 AM

You know what is sad? I don't remember ever believing in Santa...I'm sure I must have at one point, but I can't remember doing so. We try very hard with our kids. I want them to believe as long as possible that there is magic in the world. Hell, I'm still hoping to find true magic, and every once in a while, when I can see things through my kids eyes, I can just catch a glimpse if I don't look to hard :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at December 17, 2010 9:40 AM

I don't remember the year or what specifically, but I do remember it being suddenly OBVIOUS. It went from mystical to geez-you're-not-even-trying-mom overnight.

My girl is 7. I'm certain this is her last year and I'm very sad about that. Going to enjoy it heartily.

Posted by: Brad at December 17, 2010 10:34 AM

Speaking of toilets, give me the super diagnostic ones that basically runs a full checkup with every use; Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

As for Santa, I was brought up not to believe, but have come back around to believe in the big guy in spirit, and am transitioning my oldest from the literal big guy in the suit to the more subtle "We are all Santa" concept.

TGIF. :)

Posted by: metawizard at December 17, 2010 10:37 AM

Ok, so I'm going against the grain here, but I totally want one of those toilets. Bidets are much more hygenic than toilet paper, not to mention the amount of TP you would be saving (purchasing and flushing).

I was raised in a religion where we did not celebrate Christmas, so I missed out on the whole Santa thing. It's a pity, as I can see the thrall "he" holds over children's imaginations. Ah well, perhaps in my next lifetime...

Posted by: bacioni at December 17, 2010 10:39 AM

I stopped believing in Santa at Easter. My best friend and I had made pallets on the living room floor, and I woke up to find my mom tip toeing in - my basket in one hand, Brooke's in the other. I figured if Mom was the Easter bunny - she was probably Santa Clause, too.

Posted by: Emily at December 17, 2010 11:29 AM

I never technically stopped believing in Santa (kids who believe in Santa get extra presents!), but my parents told me one year there was no Easter Bunny, and I just kind of connected the dots.

Posted by: Brooke at December 17, 2010 11:39 AM

What do you mean, stop believing in Santa??? You mean he's not real??

Seriously, don't remember when, not really sure if I ever really stopped. I kinda wish we had more of the season of giving and joy rather than just one month of the year.

Posted by: cyndy at December 17, 2010 12:05 PM

I was 9 or 10, alone in the car with my mother and she asked me if I wanted to help with the Easter Bunny, since I was such a big girl, now. She was trying to give me a clue. I was confused and upset. Then, it came out that but Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy were included in this big reveal. I remember weeping in the front seat. I

Posted by: LeeAnn at December 17, 2010 12:11 PM

Well since I'm a freak, I was five. Christmas Eve I wouldn't go to sleep because I DIDN'T want Santa to come. He was a stranger. I made my parents make a fire in the fireplace so he couldn't come down the chimney. Then since my mom had told me that Santa was magic and could get into kids' houses who didn't have fireplaces, I made them put the burglar alarm on. But that didn't suffice. So around midnight, when I still wasn't asleep and the presents STILL weren't laid out, my mom said, "Look. There is no Santa. It's your dad and I. Santa's just something parents make up. Now you're brother doesn't know so don't tell him."

I said, "Great." And fell right to sleep.

Freak? Yes. I was.

Posted by: Sharri at December 17, 2010 5:12 PM

And I wrote "you're" instead of "your" - that's irritating.

Posted by: Sharri at December 17, 2010 5:13 PM

I don't know that I ever really believed there was a person...we didn't have a chimney and my mother locked the house up like Fort Knox every night. However, I still believe in the spirit of Santa Claus and the idea of someone giving happiness without expecting anything in return!

Posted by: Krush at December 17, 2010 6:43 PM

i started forensically studying handwriting samples and figured out who was actually writing out the gift tags :)

Posted by: kati at December 18, 2010 12:05 AM

Well, I still believe in the spirit of Santa and he still brings the best presents, but I think I just gradually stopped but wasn't crushed by it when I found out.
I spend this time of year at school reassuring the 1st and 2nd graders that Santa IS real despite what the jerk sitting next to them at lunch is telling them.

Posted by: NancyJ at December 18, 2010 8:10 AM

This Saturday, when shopping for books for my father, I cursed myself for not paying more attention to your Friday lists. Goal for 2011!

Posted by: at December 19, 2010 10:56 PM

Finding out Santa wasn't real was not one of the most pleasant experiences ever. I think I was around 7, and at the time I still believed with all my heart in Santa and all the magic of Christmas etc. Then somehow one afternoon after school the topic came up amongst some kids and this one boy told me that Santa wasn't real and he laughed and made fun of me because I still believed. I was pretty upset and when I got home I asked my folks, who of course confirmed that Santa wasn't real. I remember crying and felt lied to. Got over it of course, but year, at the time that was a big thing for me. Hubby and I are currently trying to decide exactly what we are going to do for our kid(s) as we don't want to lie to them / go through the experience of finding out they were lied to, even if it is for something magical and fun like Santa.

Posted by: Delia at December 20, 2010 2:54 AM

With the birth of Moncler Outlet, many people fall in love with the Moncler Jackets at the first sight, in the extreme cold weather, they can bring the Moncler UK Jackets!

Posted by: Moncler Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:49 AM