December 6, 2010

Thirty-Eight

I've been 38 years old for a little over 24 hours now and I have to admit that it doesn't feel all that different from 37...or 36...or even 35. Though I'll also admit that I'm not sure exactly how a 38 year old is supposed to feel since it's my first time and all.

I do know that 38 sounds kind of old, to me. Not 38 in general - as applied to other people - but 38 applied to me.

At 38 I have yet to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I haven't yet recorded my first album or written the Great American Novel or found the solution to world peace. So, if 38 were as far as I got, well, I'd leave a lot undone. By the same token, at 38 I find myself with a beautiful, caring wife, two amazingly and insanely wonderful kids, a wise circle of friends, a giant music collection and a handful of well-worn guitars. And I couldn't honestly ask for more in life than that. At least not without sounding greedy as hell.

Not that I'm stopping at 38, mind you. My hair is turning gray and I'm moving a little slower...but I'm just getting started.

Posted by Chris at December 6, 2010 7:20 AM
Comments

Hey, haven't you ever heard of a 38 Special? That's you, sweetie! Happy Birthday and many, many, more!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 6, 2010 7:51 AM

Ha! Can't beat that first comment but happy birthday. I don't think 38 is old at all! ;)

Posted by: Claire at December 6, 2010 8:09 AM

Happy birthday, Chris!

Posted by: Susan at December 6, 2010 8:23 AM

Happy Birthday, dude. Any 38 isn't old at all. Statistically, you aren't even half way yet.

Posted by: J at December 6, 2010 8:42 AM

I forget that you and I are birthday twins! Unless you want to be particular and count that 9 years I have on you. I had a great day yesterday and also feel like I have never quite figured out what I want to be when I grow up. The only thing the years have given me is the ability to know that I am ever-changing. Everything in life is temporary so don't oversweat things, just ENJOY! Happy Birthday!

Posted by: Debbie at December 6, 2010 8:44 AM

So here's my take on aging. I suppose most people would be thinking ahead and dreading the big 4-0. Personally, I prefer the new decades, smaller numbers. Let me explain, for example, 40, 41 or 32 sounds and seems so much more upbeat and positive than an ominous 48, 49...like a countdown to doom.
I'm about to be 51 and I'm shocked! When I was younger that was very, very old but clearly it's not anymore because I couldn't possibly be old (LOL) I just don't feel old. Fifty didn't phase me much. It's just a number, not who you are or how you feel.
Happy Birthday! Enjoy each day/year as they come :)

Posted by: LaineyDid at December 6, 2010 8:51 AM

Happy Birthday!

I was about to write that I have no idea who Juan Valdez is, but do I remember correctly that he was a character on a coffee commercial?

Posted by: Heather at December 6, 2010 9:03 AM

I'll turn 38 next month. Much like 36 and 37 before it, I'm banking on 38 being the new 35, which struck me as a pretty good age.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at December 6, 2010 9:09 AM

Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a great weekend.

Posted by: Elizabeth at December 6, 2010 9:20 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you had a great one and that 38 is a good year for you.

Posted by: Sarah at December 6, 2010 9:57 AM

Happy Birthday. When I get to D.C., we'll record that album, ok?

For Christmas, all I want is an audioblog. Perhaps with Mia and Owen and Beth involved, but that's simply a suggestion.

Posted by: alektra at December 6, 2010 10:09 AM

Happy Birthday! So let's talk milestones:
1. From a long view, you are among the oldest humans that ever lived ( granted, we've gotten kind of a boost these last few centuries, but hey, still counts! )
2. You have an amazing blog that chronicles more of your life than most people put on sticky notes
3. You're planting seeds all the time that get people thinking / talking / moving; so who knows what great works will be inspired in part by you? ( No one ever gets to know, thats part of the charm )
4. If 40 is the new 20, then you are now technically 18, so woo-hoo!

And I fondly remember Juan. As a child, I took television a little too literally, and wondered how and why the entire demand of coffee in the world was being placed on this poor guy and his donkey. I mean, really, couldn't he get a little help? :)

Posted by: metawizard at December 6, 2010 10:19 AM

Happy birthday! Enjoy your day!

Posted by: Laura at December 6, 2010 10:40 AM

Happy Birthday! You are now officially in your late 30s! At 37, you are both categories - mid and late, but once you hit 38? It's late. I'll be joining you in January. You'll have to let me know how it goes.

Posted by: k8 at December 6, 2010 10:41 AM

Happy birthday! I think your list of accomplishments is enviable, and you really are just getting started.

Nicely done! :)

Posted by: Julie at December 6, 2010 11:03 AM

Happy Birthday! I'm still younger than you but I'm pretty sure I own you on the gray hair department. Damn genetics. ;-)

Posted by: oakley at December 6, 2010 11:13 AM

Oh, happy birthday, my friend! I hope your birthday was filled with love a light and lots of singing from the kids.

I loved the years between 35 and 40. 41's not so bad either, but I can say those 5 years were probably my best years to date.

Enjoy and don't work too hard today.

Posted by: zanie at December 6, 2010 11:58 AM

Happy Birthday. Thanks for creating a great blog that is always interesting and funny.

Greenie

Posted by: greenie at December 6, 2010 12:14 PM

hmmm, i'm 38 in two weeks time. time to think about my accomplishments and what i wish to accomplish.

happy birthday!

Posted by: meanie at December 6, 2010 12:15 PM

Happy birthday!

(yeah, that's all I've got. heh.)

Posted by: Heather at December 6, 2010 12:59 PM

Happy Birthday!

I pulled out another gray hair this morning and I'm not 38 yet....

Posted by: jessica at December 6, 2010 1:10 PM

Happy birthday. It's just a number, and I find that the family is what keeps me younger/makes me older than my "official" age. Keep on trucking!

Posted by: pvz at December 6, 2010 2:58 PM

Happy birthday!

Posted by: Katherine at December 6, 2010 2:59 PM

Happy birthday!

Posted by: Hope at December 6, 2010 3:35 PM

Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great day!

Posted by: Krush at December 6, 2010 4:04 PM

Belated birthday wishes! You're almost exactly 10 months older than me, so you're paving the way into 38. Be sure to keep us posted on what's going on there. It sounds old to me too...

I smiled when reading your post because I have recorded an album! Did you know that you can just call a recording studio and make an appt and make a CD? I found that out in 2005 and did it! One of the best experiences ever!! It never occurred to me prior to then that you could do that without having an agent and that it's not ridiculously expensive. Cost about $600 total for a few hours of studio time, editing, CD production. Crazy! So, do it!!!! :-)

Posted by: Sandy at December 6, 2010 4:24 PM

Hope you had a great birthday. 38's not bad. 38 is good.

Posted by: cassie-b at December 6, 2010 6:14 PM

happy birthday!!

Posted by: kati at December 6, 2010 6:25 PM

Happy belated birthday! :)

Posted by: Aimee Giese | Greeblemonkey at December 6, 2010 6:34 PM

You and my younger son are within a couple of weeks of the same age (his is 11-22). I think of him as my baby of course so I don't think of you as over the hill just yet.

Happy, happy birthday - you certainly have your priorities in order.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at December 6, 2010 6:46 PM

Happy birthday Chris! Many happy returns. I hope 38 brings more wonderful things into your life. And I can tell you, 39 isn't bad.

Posted by: Annie at December 6, 2010 6:49 PM

Happy 38th Birthday Chris!

Posted by: Heather at December 6, 2010 6:58 PM

Happy Birthday!

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 6, 2010 9:45 PM

Eh, 38's not old. Now 40? We'll see. Of course, I've only been 40 for a little UNDER 24 hours now...

Anyhow, happy birthday!

Posted by: Jenny at December 6, 2010 11:02 PM

Happy Birthday!!! It only gets better!

Posted by: Lujza at December 6, 2010 11:47 PM

Happy Birthday! I hit 37 a few months back and I have no real desire to take an inventory, all I know is that when I hear some one say aloud OMG in that exact form, I am pleased be in my late 30s and that I was born to late to have that in my vocabulary book~ Best wishes to you for a very happy day, or rather late wishes for either the great day or crappy day you have already had~

Posted by: Shannon at December 7, 2010 12:07 AM

Happy birthday! 38 isn't old at all - just have fun and may the year ahead hold much happiness, memories and opportunities for you!

Posted by: Delia at December 7, 2010 1:40 AM

Oh, I missed that. I so remember Juan Valdez. My sister even named his burro once: unofficially, his burro's name is "Pepe".

Posted by: J at December 7, 2010 8:52 AM