December 22, 2010

Under Pressure

Things have been a little random around here. Email isn't getting responded to in a timely fashion, posts are a little less coherent, and my focus in general ain't all that great. See, there was a Not Tiny Project I was going after at work. And we won it. The beauty about winning something is being able to stand back, point and say I did that. Then it becomes clear that after all the jubilation has died down, you actually have to do the work. And this work? Totally outside my comfort zone.

Hi pressure, it's me Chris. Did you bring vodka?

Part of the pressure is due to the fact that starting today I'm out of the office until the new year rolls around. And I desperately wanted to get all the heavy lifting done so I wouldn't have anything hanging over my head and I could enjoy the time off. After two solid days of work, I think most of the hard stuff is out of the way.

And now I can relax.

What's your best, go-to stress reliever?

Posted by Chris at December 22, 2010 8:18 AM
Comments

Different strokes and all, but for me, when work life has just gotten out of hand, I grab a beer, some quiet time on the couch, and pop in Fight Club and Office Space. Between those two, you will walk away feeling oh-so-much-better about the living the life in the trenches of corporate America.

Congrats on getting the project!

Posted by: metawizard at December 22, 2010 10:45 AM

Go play guitar. It works for me, and I think it works for you.

BTW - could you send me your address? I think I have the right one, but it's been a while.

Posted by: alektra at December 22, 2010 11:30 AM

Besides Jack Daniels? lol! (kidding)
Actually this will sound silly, but it is a room with quiet music, a pot of tea and a comfortable chair. Then I feel that no matter the project, I'm back in my comfort zone!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 22, 2010 11:58 AM

A day spent watching movies on the couch with my kids. A day of Pj's and ordering in for dinner. Simple, easy, stress free. :)

I hope you guys have a great holiday.

Posted by: Issa at December 22, 2010 12:05 PM

Wine...plain and simple. ;o)

Posted by: Lujza at December 22, 2010 12:07 PM

As my love can attest, ahem, sex.

Posted by: Mindy at December 22, 2010 1:17 PM

I'd love to say kicking back with my kids does it, but it often doesn't happen that way.

I find I turn to wine regularly and as long as the pressure/stress isn't too bad, it's lovely, but I do have to watch that I'm not going after that second or third glass for the wrong reasons. It's weird, getting old. I used to not care about addictions!

Posted by: harmzie at December 22, 2010 1:19 PM

Definitely sitting down at the piano, or at least with a guitar.

Posted by: Heather at December 22, 2010 1:35 PM

My hubbie just bought me bass guitar lessons. I love music. I'm hoping that learning/playing will be a good stress reliever/creative outlet for me.

Posted by: meanie at December 22, 2010 3:01 PM

I am the LONE WOLF saying this but...

EXERCISE.

I have a general "break a sweat daily" rule that I follow because it's not just physically good for me, but my brain and mental well being needs it as well. When I'm stressed? It's even more crucial.

Beyond that - listening to music, playing guitar, baking (and then eating - I know. Kicks that whole exercise thing right in the face), going for a drive by myself....

Posted by: sarah at December 22, 2010 10:08 PM

If I've been stressed out during the week then I find that starting my weekend by sleeping late (if at all possible), followed by a favourite breakfast usually helps to set the tone for a day of de-stressing. I then try to spend the rest of the day doing something I enjoy (like my hobby) and I put on some favourite music (preferably played loudly) and dance (or not, depending on my mood). I order something yummy for supper (pizza is always good) and chow down with hubby while watching a good movie or series. The most important thing though is to try and not do work, or work related things as far as possible, and as little responsibility-orientated stuff as possible too (including housework). Helps you to feel more like a free spirit and less like an adult with oblligations and responsibilities.

Oh, and I have to agree with what Mindy said as well - best stress & tension reliever *ever* ;-)

Posted by: Delia at December 23, 2010 3:18 AM

zoloft. and a nap.

Posted by: kati at December 23, 2010 2:14 PM

The Coach Outlet from us, in 1941, The Coach Factory Outlet are established, The Coach Factory let the middle class can afford to buy a cheap price of luxury enterprise honor!

Posted by: Coach Factory Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:47 AM

With the birth of Moncler Outlet, many people fall in love with the Moncler Jackets at the first sight, in the extreme cold weather, they can bring the Moncler UK Jackets!

Posted by: Moncler Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:49 AM