December 15, 2010

Who's Joe?

A while back I mentioned that I was the editor of the high school newspaper for a few years. I've got a stash of old copies but I've been missing the very last edition for as long as I can remember. My parents found a copy and dropped it by the other day. And here is my final editorial from June, 1992:

The sun's out, it's warm and we're out of here. We can all write this year off and move on, but not without a little remorse. Just a little bit.

I don't think that it really hit me that I was a senior until about two weeks ago. I don't think I have really realized how near the end is. I have been asked so much how it feels to be a senior and I can't seem to come up with a good answer for them.

It has been a long year, especially for the seniors. We've been looking forward to the end for the last four years and now we're here. We are about to move on into the world, whether it's going to school, getting a job or joining the army. We can all be proud that we have made it this far. Life ain't easy.

I must take this time however to think about myself and all I have gained from being here for the last four years. I think that every day I said that I wanted to get out of here, go home or go out to lunch. A few times (all right, more than a few times) I did. But I realized that this, high school, was my job.

This building and all the people in it generated a lot of great memories. These years are years that I will definitely never forget. We've made great friends, fallen in love, and grown up within the last few years. Now we have to leave.

I want to thank all the people who have made my high school career the success it was. I would like to thank the student body and all of our sports programs for making the year so successful. I would like to thank Students Against Global Abuse for cleaning up our environment, the yearbook staff for catching us all at our best, and the class officers for the work they have done. Thanks to the counselors, administrators and the teachers.

Thanks to the newspaper staff for putting up with me and getting some great issues out. Congratulations to all the new editors and good luck next year. Thanks to the Wild Men and all my friends for keeping me sane (or at least trying to). Above all, thank you Joe.

Most people advise to never look back, but if you don't all you've fought for for the last few years is wasted. I only hope that we can all look back on our high school years and smile. Goodbye and good luck. Keep the faith, hope, and love.

A coupla things I'd like to point out.
  • I have learned nothing about writing in the past 18 years. Parenthetical statements? Sentence fragments passed off as actual sentences? Complete disregard for commas and their proper use? Check! Apparently some things never change.
  • The bit about high school being my job? Total crap. High school was a great place to fuck around.
  • My high school career was not a success, at least from a GPA perspective. From that angle, it was a four year lesson in mediocrity.
  • My memory sucks. The Wild Men? No clue who they are. And just who in the fuck is Joe?

Posted by Chris at December 15, 2010 6:35 AM
Comments

:) What a great t-shirt that last line would make...

Posted by: metawizard at December 15, 2010 8:14 AM

Eh, you also thought you had grown up. ;)

You were very kind. I was Layout Editor of pretty much everything the school published, and I was a bit more cynical. You give me hope, Young Chris.

Posted by: alektra at December 15, 2010 9:02 AM

its ok that you had a "special friend" in high school named Joe...we won't judge.
wink wink.

Posted by: speck at December 15, 2010 9:21 AM

Haha yes, I have articles written in my school yearbook that are really rather painful. Yours isn't so bad, trust me (although don't take it too seriously, coming from a rabid abuser of parenthetical statements!)

Posted by: Heather at December 15, 2010 12:16 PM

Funny, I just read something in my senior yearbook that I wrote (1982). For most of it, I have no clue was I was writing about. It's probably just as well.

Posted by: James Proffitt at December 15, 2010 1:54 PM

It does kinda read like an extended yearbook dedication. It's funny how honesty evolves with time. "High school was a great place to fuck around" and "a four-year lesson in mediocrity" would be accurate descriptions of my "job."

And don't feel so bad about Joe. A couple months ago a guy I shared a dorm suite with for a year in 95-96 came up to me at Cantina Marina. Before admitting I am who I am I asked, "Are you a process server?"

Posted by: Foggy Dew at December 15, 2010 2:03 PM

I agree about the t-shirt slogan!!!! Who the f*ck is Joe?

At least its been a few years! I had a guy come up to me when I was 21 (we had been at the same lakehouse party for the passed few hours) and said "you really don't remember me, do you?" Uh, awkward. No I did not. He then informed me that we had been out on a date when I was 16. Ohhhhh yyeaaahhhhhh.....

Posted by: Debbie at December 15, 2010 3:14 PM

High School was very weird for me. I graduated a year early and 6 months after getting my diploma, I gave birth to Mandy. Oh yeah, thought I was all grown up and ready to face the world.
All I can say is
Yeah, right.....

Posted by: Maribeth at December 15, 2010 3:30 PM

(i heart your kind of grammar)

Posted by: kati at December 15, 2010 10:25 PM

Your article write very well.

Posted by: Uggs for Cheap at August 10, 2011 10:29 PM

The Coach Outlet from us, in 1941, The Coach Factory Outlet are established, The Coach Factory let the middle class can afford to buy a cheap price of luxury enterprise honor!

Posted by: Coach Factory Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:51 AM