December 16, 2010

Your Best of 2010

The end is near. Sorry. Did I scare you? I meant the end of the year. I've been looking back at all the stuff I downloaded, all the music I listened to, the books I read all in preparation to recap my personal best of 2010. But before I do that, I'm curious about your picks for the year. So open up the comments, and tell me about your picks for:

- Unputdownable book
- Watchable TV series
- Perfect movie
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology
- Compelling personality
- Ground-breaking event

Tonight or first thing in the morning, I'll randomly pick one entry and email over an Amazon or iTunes gift code worth ten bucks so you can check out some of the other recommendations folks have made. So get to it. Tell me what you liked in 2010!

Posted by Chris at December 16, 2010 6:32 AM
Comments

- Unputdownable book : The Name of the Wind by Pat Rothfuss (I read it straight through in a few days and eagerly await book two in Kindle format)

-Watchable TV Series : The Walking Dead. I usually hate zombie movies with a passion, but this one was well worth my time. Runner up goes to 'Sherlock' with Benedict Cumberbach. I cant wait for series 2

- Perfect movie : The A-Team. I thought I was going to hate it, but you know what, I was suprised. Runner up goes to District 9 as the most intellegent alien movie lately.

- Live-withoutable gadget : Ipad. Hands down. It's been my friend and entertainment for 6 months straight

- Compelling Personality : Isnt that an oxymoron?

- Ground breaking event : nothing springs to mind this year, perhaps next.

Posted by: ChocolateChip_Wookie at December 16, 2010 6:43 AM

Unputdownable book: The Help

Watchable TV Series: The Good Wife

Perfect movie: Leap Year

Live without gadget: IPhone

Compelling personality: No one comes to mind

Ground breaking event: I got nothing

Posted by: NancyJ at December 16, 2010 7:20 AM

Unputdownable book: All of the Steig Larsson books.

Watchable TV Series: Leverage

Perfect movie: nothing perfect but It's Complicated was a delight.

Live without gadget: I'm low tech - maybe the remote?

Compelling personality: Elizabeth Edwards

Ground breaking event: Son's wedding

Posted by: NancyA at December 16, 2010 7:27 AM

- Unputdownable book - Glad I get to be the first to write this, as I doubt I'll be the last... Book Three of the Dragon Tattoo trilogy...
- Watchable TV series - Sherlock - it was short but fantastic. Great Digital Effect overlays used in it which appealed to me! Hope it's been to America - it's British.
- Perfect movie - there wasn't one!!
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology - iPhone 4 - my life in the palm of my hand...
- Compelling personality - Julian Assange - love him or hate him he's fascinating...
- Ground-breaking event - Rescue of the Chilean Miners... amazing.

Posted by: Deeleea at December 16, 2010 7:28 AM

Book: Toss up between the Millennium trilogy and Garth Stein's "The Art of Racing in the Rain" (Which I loved far more than I had anticipated)

TV Series: Project Runway, always.

Perfect Movie: Gosh, I can't even remember what I SAW this year. So, I guess nothing was perfect. The Social Network was actually pretty decent.

Live-withoutable Gadget - I'm still in love with my iphone.

Compelling personality - My friends. I'm sure you mean like out in the big wide world of somewhere - but I have some great friends. They're compelling.

Ground-Breaking Event - Anything but Miley Cyrus and the stupid bong.

Posted by: sarah at December 16, 2010 7:41 AM

Ooh, this is tough to think about in the morning!

book - The Help - Kathryn Stockett
Tv series - Bones!
Perfect movie - Inception
Gadget - ipod touch
Compelling personality - No one. No one has done anything awesome.
Event - I think the Chilean Miner thing was amazing, though not sure how ground-breaking. Maybe when the one miner later ran a marathon...

Posted by: Claire at December 16, 2010 8:23 AM

- Unputdownable book: definitely The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi - it won the Hugo, Nebula, and John W. Campbell awards, so I stand in good company loving this book!

- Watchable TV series: Dexter (does it count even though I'm only on 2008's season 3?)

- Perfect movie: loved, loved, loved How to Train Your Dragon

- Live-withoutable gadget or technology: Kindle, with the iPad a close runner-up

- Compelling personality: I guess I'd say the Chilean miners collectively

- Ground-breaking event: the ongoing meltdown of the real estate market

Posted by: Elizabeth at December 16, 2010 9:07 AM

1. Book - Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
2. Tv series - Top Gear UK (hilaaaarious!)
3. Movie - How to Train Yur Dragon (makes me cry, every single time!)
4. Gadget - my Blackberry
5. Compelling personality - No one really comes to mind
6. Event - The shitty earthquake in Haiti and the crappy situation the people are still living in.

Posted by: Aurelia at December 16, 2010 9:12 AM

-Unputdownable book: The Hunger Games
- Watchable TV series: Terriers
- Perfect movie: Crazy Heart
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology: iPod
- Compelling personality:Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann (so now you know where I land on the political spectrum!)
- Ground-breaking event: Europe's economic problems

Posted by: Christina at December 16, 2010 9:17 AM

Unputdownable book: The Help, Kathryn Stockett

Watchable TV Series: Deadliest Catch

Perfect movie: I can't think of a single movie that would qualify for this

Live without gadget: Android

Compelling personality: Julian Assange

Ground breaking event: I'm not sure what you mean by "ground breaking". The largest events was Haiti, or our economic crisis, or the elections, or the Chilean Mines. As for an event that is "ground breaking", perhaps the first commercial spaceflight test's success?

Posted by: laurs at December 16, 2010 9:22 AM

Book: To Dream in the City of Sorrows ( Babylon 5 ); if you are a fan of the series, this one was heavily xref'd with Stracynski, and answers some great questions about alluded to backstory in the show

TV Series: Psych; totally a surprise new love.

Perfect Movie: Toy Story 3; haven't cried from a movie in a long time, and perfectly wrapped up.

Live-withoutable Gadget - Virgin Mobile $10 phone and $25 unlimited data plan; the screen is small but mighty.

Compelling personality - Jon Stewart; who would've thought he turn out to be such a force for good

Ground-Breaking Event - discovery of so much water on the Moon; this is relatively small news in the short term, but means that we can realistically use the Moon as an outpost and stepping stone.

Please remove me from the drawing. :)

Thanks Chris!

Posted by: metawizard at December 16, 2010 9:22 AM

Unputdownable book: Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. Didn't come out this year, so not sure if it counts.

- Watchable TV series: Chuck. Love the mix of action & humor

- Perfect movie: nothing perfect, but I did enjoy Iron Man 2

- Live-withoutable gadget or technology: DVR. Not sure how I lived without it.

- Compelling personality: Chilean miners as a group, but nobody stands out individually.

- Ground-breaking event: the birth of my daughter. All else pales in comparison for me.

Posted by: J at December 16, 2010 9:24 AM

Unputdownable book: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. This is about one woman, her amazing DNA, and how it changed science. It's also about racism. And poverty. And cancer. And motherhood. It's also simply a good detective story. LOVED.

Watchable TV series: Community

Perfect Movie: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. OK, this was from 2007, but I watched it this year, and if you haven't, you should. Best movie I saw this decade (although, if you like action, you may not get into a movie featuring someone who can't move). Best 2010 movie: Inception.

Live-withoutable gadget or technology: my coffee grinder? I doesn't do technology.

Compelling personality: Julian Assange

Ground-breaking event: Signing of the New START treaty - if it's ratified.

Posted by: Laura Gato at December 16, 2010 9:35 AM

- Unputdownable book: only read a few and none worthy of that title
- Watchable TV series: Modern Family
- Perfect movie: Inception.
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology: HTC EVO
- Compelling personality: Ellen Degeneres
- Ground-breaking event: BP oil spill

Posted by: Brad at December 16, 2010 9:38 AM

Ground breaking event: letting go of Mia when she rode her bike. It was so profound. It was your first step as a parent in allowing your children to ride off on their own, yet still be there waiting to catch them if they fall.
You are growing into one great parent (you and Beth) and I'm so glad I am along for the ride!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 16, 2010 9:50 AM

Movie - Inception (Christopher Nolan is magic)
Book - I highly recommend anything by Kelly Link, like the horror/fantasy collection Stranger Things Happen.
Gadget - I got nothin'. Haven't committed to a Kindle or iPad or anything like that yet, but I am thinking about it.
TV show - Fringe (which BRINGS IT every week) or Sherlock (which I was lucky enough to stumble onto one evening)
Event - bp oil spill

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 16, 2010 10:04 AM

- Unputdownable book - The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest
- Watchable TV series - Sons of Anarchy/Top Gear UK
- Perfect movie - Not much of a movie person ... maybe Toy Story 3, since I'm a dad.
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology - Smartphone (Android)
- Compelling personality - Assange
- Ground-breaking event - Wikileaks ... this will be felt for years

Posted by: Jase at December 16, 2010 10:08 AM

Book: Room, by Emma Donaghue. Insanely amazing.
TV Show: Modern Family! <3.
Movie: Black Swan. Late in 2010, but still 2010.
Can't-live-with-it Gadget: My Nook ereader! I thought I'd hate ereaders, but I'm in love with mine. And it's Barnes and Nobles', so I can go into the store and read anything free for an hour on it, so I can try books out before I buy them. I go through books so, so fast, and have a super small apartment, so it's been amazing.
Compelling Personality: Assange, for sure.
Event: The possible CURING of HIV! I'm excited to see where they go with this.

Posted by: caleal at December 16, 2010 10:16 AM

Book: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for nonfiction and the Marshall Karp books I am now hooked on in the fiction category!

TV: ooh - tough one... Top Gear UK and Blue Bloods..no way I can miss Tom Selleck!

Perfect movie: haven't seen that came out this year, but The Hurt Locker was a great movie.

Gadget: the Kindle. Can't say enough great things about it..

Compelling personality: Conan O'Brien.

Ground breaking event: hmm.. not one, but a series. My niece is 2 and every time I see her it's amazing to see how much she is learning every day!

Posted by: Sue R at December 16, 2010 10:21 AM

- Unputdownable book--Executive Power by Vince Flynn. WOW!
- Watchable TV series--I never miss an episode of NCIS. Even after all these years, its still top notch and hasn't fallen to humdrum.
- Perfect movie--The Blind Side. Phenominal by itself, yet it teaches some magical lessons at the same time!
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology-my cell phone (can wait to upgrade to an Incredible in Feb). I can't live without texting my best friend every day!
- Compelling personality- Sandra Bullock. Grace in the midst of insanity.
- Ground-breaking event-the BP Oil Spill

Posted by: 3jaysmom at December 16, 2010 11:00 AM

Oops! that should say CANT wait to upgrade to an Incredible in January!

Posted by: 3jaysmom at December 16, 2010 11:01 AM

- Unputdownable book: It's an older series but I just started Janet Evonoviche's Stephanie Plum series. It is amazing.

- Watchable TV series: Burn Notice. I have fallen in love with that show over the summer. New show, though, Mike & Molly

- Perfect movie: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1. The movie was briliantly made. They were able to put the part of the book that would be the hardest to transform into a movie, and make it so I laughed, and I cried. I fell in love with the movie.

- Live-withoutable gadget or technology: My Kindle. It's also getting me into reading again.

- Compelling personality: I really don't know, I can't think of any that stand out, persay.

- Ground-breaking event: This whole wiki leak fiasco.

Posted by: Kim at December 16, 2010 11:11 AM

Unputdownable book: read all Marshall Karp books this year (thanks Chris)
Watchable TV series: Detroit 187- the only new show this yr I still watch I love it but feel like I am the only one.
Perfect movie: Toy Story 3- best 3rd in any series I actually cried AT A CARTOON
Live-withoutable gadget or technology: My Kindle I love it.
Compelling personality:yeh I go nothing.
Ground-breaking event: CAPING the BP oil leak.

Posted by: Elizabeth at December 16, 2010 11:24 AM

Book - Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen. I know it's not a new book, but it was awesome.

TV - Eh, I have to go with House Hunters. I heard The Good Wife was good, but this Good Girl needs to go to bed before it comes on!

Perfect Movie - The only thing current I have seen is Toy Story 3 and I really liked it, so that's my pick.

Can't live without gadget - I'm angling for a netbook so I will go for that. Or a DVR so I can watch post 9pm shows...

Personality - President Obama.

Event - Signing PPACA into law. In it's original form it was a good thing. Hopefully it doesn't get twisted out of recognition.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Posted by: bacioni at December 16, 2010 12:02 PM

Oh, I love this type of thing... Haven't read the other comments so as not to be influenced by others' good ideas...
So, let me think...
1. Unputdownable book - I've mainly reread old favourites, with Jodi Piccoult's "19 minutes" continuing to haunt me. But for a first-time read, I'd have to say Sebastian Faulks' "A week in December"
2. Watchable TV series - this is tough, as I don't watch much TV (and I'm in France, so I'm guessing you won't know the few things I do watch), but I did get addicted to the French version of MasterChef (though I didn't like the woman who won and much preferred the second and third placed candidates)
3. Perfect movie - again, being a single mother with no means of getting babysitting, I don't see many non-kid movies (just one this year, I think, and it wasn't great), so of the few films I've seen (all animated, natch), I think I enjoyed Toy Story 3 the most (Ken and Barbie just CRACKED ME UP)
4. Live-withoutable gadget or technology - I don't own anything remotely resembling an iPod or whatever, or an iPad, or many gadgets at all to be honest, so I guess I'd have to say the Internet: I certainly couldn't live without it!
5. Compelling personality - having recently "discovered" the group Train (not nearly as well known here in France as in the US), I'd have to say Pat Monahan. He comes over as someone who is thoughtful, down-to-earth, and kind. Though I must admit it might just be his delicious blue eyes and gorgeous jawline that I find compelling...;-)))
6. Ground-breaking event - I'm guessing you mean something global, but for me, the "main event" of this year has to be when my then-partner decided he couldn't bear to live with me anymore and walked out on 1 May, the day before my younger daughter's 6th birthday party. That one event has turned my world upside down (and not in a good way, believe me) and shattered my life in a way that little else has ever done. I truly feel like the ground broke beneath my feet, and even now I'm still trying to dodge the cracks...
That's it for now!

Posted by: Kirsty at December 16, 2010 12:10 PM

- Unputdownable book: The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant
- Watchable TV series: Mad Men/Walking Dead
- Perfect movie: I really like The Kids are Alright
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology: hmmm, does t.v. still count?
- Compelling personality: Sean Penn/Haiti. I find it facinating, his dedication.
- Ground-breaking event: Scarlett Johanssen and Ryan Reynolds break up! Kidding. Just can't think of one right now.

Posted by: meanie at December 16, 2010 12:20 PM

Gadget - leash splitter so I can walk all four dogs on one leash.

Posted by: Heather at December 16, 2010 12:56 PM

- Unputdownable book
"White House Diary" by Jimmy Carter

- Watchable TV series
"Survivor" in HD

- Perfect movie
"Social Network"

- Live-withoutable gadget or technology
iPad!

- Compelling personality
Julien Assange

- Ground-breaking event
Wikileaks

Posted by: James Proffitt at December 16, 2010 1:53 PM

Unputdownable book - The Book of Negroes (although it was from 2007, so I'm a little late to the party)

Watchable TV series - Lost (the end) and Fringe

Perfect movie - What's that one with Leo DiCaprio and the dreaming and the levels and the awesome? That one!

Live-withoutable gadget or technology - I don't have any gadgets...my husband hogs them all. I'm gonna say my rotary phone or my 8-track tape player.

Compelling personality - I cannot think of anyone. Santa?

Ground-breaking event - getting my taxes done on time. It's a first.

Posted by: Procrastamom at December 16, 2010 2:03 PM

Just have the Unputdownable book- "The Madonnas of Echo Park" by Brando Skyhorse. The second I finished the book I goggled the author, found his email and immediately wrote him to tell him how much I adored his book. He responded quickly making me love the book even more.

Posted by: Elissa Lerma at December 16, 2010 2:04 PM

- Unputdownable book - Okay don't laugh...The Lost Hero. The new Percy Jackson book. I read only kids books these days. But the girls and I read that one in an entire day.
- Watchable TV series - Amazing Race. Always.
- Perfect movie - Harry Potter 7.
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology -iPhone. I've had it since July. I will never go back.
- Compelling personality - Lame as this will sound...my son. He's just turned two a few months back. This past year has been amazing with him. He has a HUGE, funny, awesome personality.
- Ground-breaking event - For me, it's my divorce.

Posted by: Issa at December 16, 2010 2:18 PM

- Unputdownable book - hands down, the Stieg Larson series, especially The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

- Watchable TV series - Deadliest Catch was definitely it for me this season.

- Perfect movie - Despicable Me! I know, I know, a kid flick. I freakin' loved it. "Whaaaaa?" "It's SO FLUFFY!"

- Live-withoutable gadget or technology - My Kindle. I never ever wanted an e-reader. Now I'm all "Gifts? For me? Please check out my Amazon Wish List!"

- Compelling personality - Robert Redford and his constant work on protecting our environment. Right now, he is battling coal strip mining in Utah, a mere 10 miles away from Bryce Canyon National Park. GO BOB!

- Ground-breaking event - FAVRE FINALLY RETIRES! FOR REAL THIS TIME! And Cher performs her "no, for real this time, well, maybe" LAST TOUR! So much douchey news this year. Nothing in particular really stands out to me - all the important stuff was overshadowed by so and sos marriage and so and sos divorce and Lady Gaga's meat dress and all sorts of other B.S.

Posted by: Mindy at December 16, 2010 2:25 PM

Unputdownable book: Fall of Giants
Putdownable book is Deep Thoughts by GW Bush. I tried, I stopped...
Watchable TV Series: Modern Family or Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader series (totally guilty pleasure on par with Real Housewives OC)
Perfect movie: Cats and Dogs Revenge of Kitty Galore - I don't get out much) My daughter would say Step up 3D
Can't live without my IPod Touch
Compelling Personality would be Rush Limbaugh- I love trying to just figure out what the heck he is saying and why he is still around
Ground breaking event - can't think of one.

Posted by: greenie at December 16, 2010 3:39 PM

Unputdownable book: Gone with the Wind (for like the 6th read)
Watchable TV series: "How I Met Your Mother" and "Criminal Minds"
Perfect Movie: "Toy Story 3"
Live-withoutable gadget or technology: Blackberry
Compelling personality: All those who worked on the Gulf Oil Spill benefits
Ground-breaking event: see "Compelling personality" as those events showed how people can come together!!

Posted by: Krush at December 16, 2010 3:59 PM

Unputdownable book: Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Watchable TV Series: The Mentalist

Perfect movie: Furry Vengeance (only movie I saw!)

Live without gadget: MacBook Pro

Compelling personality: Cam Newton

Ground breaking event: Auburn is going to the National Championship and has the Heisman trophy winner.

Posted by: L y s h a at December 16, 2010 4:24 PM

Book: Tie...Room by Emma Donoghue or Crooked Letter Crooked Letter by TOm Franklin.
TV: (guilty pleasure alert) East Bound and Down on HBO.
Movie: Two kids have really cramped my moviegoing style this year. Howabout the last movie I watched? It was....uhm.....Shrek Forever After and I thought it decidedly the least impressive of the Shreks.
Gadget: A/V car adapter for the breast pump.
Compelling personality: Conan O'Brien for turning his groundbreaking event into lemonade.
Ground-breaking event: Getting demoted instead of laid off. It has really changed my year and not for the better. I'm hoping to reverse the trend this year.

Posted by: rebecca at December 16, 2010 7:04 PM

- Unputdownable book: The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning (I read all 4 books in about a week, and am anxiously awaiting the 5th & supposedly final book in January). Also anything I've read on my Kindle since getting it in November.
- Watchable TV series - Bones and So You Think You Can Dance! :) Also, Heroes, which my fiance and I watched all 5 seasons of in a week or two (thanks, Netflix Watch Instantly!)
- Perfect movie - Inception
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology - my iPhone and my Kindle (as of November)
- Compelling personality - (I originally said I couldn't think of anybody, but then I said Conan below, so.. Conan O'Brien.)
- Ground-breaking event - Haiti and/or the oil spill, literally.

Posted by: Manda at December 16, 2010 9:16 PM

Can't live without gadget? My Android phone which has managed to assimilate itself into pretty much every aspect of my life. It scares me to think of just how dependent I have become on it.
TV series? I have to admit to being hooked on Ghost Hunters, although I am pretty well hooked on all the other paranormal shows as well. I don't know why, I guess for the same reason we try to sneak a peak when passing an accident, morbid curiosity.

Posted by: Jeff A at December 16, 2010 11:45 PM

- Unputdownable book: Hidden Empire: The Saga of the Seven Suns. Hubby bought this for me on our anniversary - my first sci-fi book. I wouldn't say it's fantastic, but I just could not stop reading the damn thing. I took it everywhere with me so I could read a few more pages when I had a few minutes spare.
- Watchable TV series: Spartacus: Blood & Sand. Not for the easily offended by... well, anything really... but what an absolutely awesome show! Had me glued to the screen every week. Can't wait for the next season, and the prequel.
- Perfect movie: Toss up between Avatar 3D and Inception.
- Live-withoutable gadget or technology: Can not live without the media center that hubby built for us. It rocks.
- Compelling personality: the Chilean miners.
- Ground-breaking event: Falling pregnant. If that / having a kid isn't life changing, I'm not sure what is ;-)

Posted by: Delia at December 17, 2010 2:52 AM

Let's see
Book - Probably the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It took me a while to convince myself to start this one, but once I did, I finished all three of the books in the series in a VERY short time. (Sorry the laundry didn't get done again, honey!)
TV - I've become totally hooked on Burn Notice. I don't have cable tho, so I'm left with renting prior seasons, or watching re-runs on "regular" tv.
Movie - I go to a lot of Kids movies. ('cause I've got kids). I would have to say How to Train your Dragon was one of my favorites. Toy Story 3 was pretty durn good too!
Gadget - I'm pretty much gadget free. So, I'd say all of it is live-without-able. I DO have a cell phone and an ipod (a small one) but other than that, no fancy gadgets.
Personality - I'm going with Betty White. I love her - she fascinates me!
Event - The earthquake in Haiti, the Miners in Chile, Wiki-leaks, Oil Spill... it's been a busy year!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!!

Posted by: Kim at December 17, 2010 11:53 AM

So, I'm really late commenting here. Also, I don't have answers for any category except TV. Plus, it's not even a New In 2010 show, it was just new to me. Does this comment even count?

Oh yeah: Fringe. Anna Torv playing Olivia and Fauxlivia. That's all I have to say.

Posted by: Missy at December 24, 2010 7:59 AM

Well, I'm late for this but I'll contribute anyway. I also covered some of these on my 2010 Awards post: http://bit.ly/hUu27w

Unputdownable book: Delivering Happiness, Tony Hsieh.
Watchable TV series: Dr. Who on BBC America.
Perfect movie: Toy Story 3
Live-withoutable gadget or technology: My Samsung Galaxy S. Heehee.
Compelling personality: Alex O'Loughlin's chest. Other than Scott Caan's performance, the only other reason to watch Hawaii Five-O.
Ground-breaking event: Took a crack at NaNoWriMo.

Posted by: oakmonster at December 27, 2010 11:13 AM

With the birth of Moncler Outlet, many people fall in love with the Moncler Jackets at the first sight, in the extreme cold weather, they can bring the Moncler UK Jackets!

Posted by: Moncler Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:51 AM

The Coach Outlet from us, in 1941, The Coach Factory Outlet are established, The Coach Factory let the middle class can afford to buy a cheap price of luxury enterprise honor!

Posted by: Coach Factory Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:53 AM