January 26, 2011

Big Speech

Mia is sick. That kind of truly miserable sick - high fever, can't breath, and can't sleep for all the sniffling and coughing. Standard operating procedure in my house is for me to haul her into our guest room, power up the humidifier, break out the blankets and sleep with her at night. We cuddle. It makes her feel better and it allows me to sneak in cuddles that a five and a half year old is sometimes reluctant to give up.

So on Monday night I plucked her from her bed, moved her into the guest room, forced her to ingest more ibuprofen to keep her fever down and snuggled in beside her.

Mia: Daddy, I'm not tired now.
Me: I know, but you need sleep.
Mia: I know. I'm just not sleepy. I like the shirt you're wearing, with the big O on it.
Me: Remember who that big O is for?
Mia: President Obama?
Me: Yeah. And you know, I bet he can't sleep either.
Mia: Why?
Me: Because I bet he's a little nervous.
Mia: Why?
Me: Because he has to give a big speech tomorrow.
Mia: What's it about?
Me: It's called the State of the Union. The president gives the State of the Union speech once each year.
Mia: So, he's nervous because it's a big important speech?
Me: Yeah, I bet he is. I'd be. And he gives it at the Capitol.
Mia: Oooh, that's a pretty building where they make laws. Are there people there watching?
Me: Yes. All the people who make the laws are there watching. And the president's an important guy so they show it on TV all around the world.
Mia: You're right. That would make me nervous. So I think he's probably trying to get prepared in the White House right now and his kids are probably telling him "don't worry, it'll be okay" but he'll still be nervous anyway.
Me: I bet you're right. You might not be tired but at least you don't have to give a speech to the world tomorrow.

She asked to watch the State of the Union. I told her I'd TiVo it. We talked about Martin Luther King and the lack of female presidents. Then she drifted off to sleep. I followed shortly after.

I love the fact that Mia is not yet old or experienced enough in the ways of the world to be politically jaded. To her, Obama is just a dad sitting in a big white house in Monkeytown getting ready to give a speech in a big pretty building surrounded by other people who are all trying to do good things. I kind of wish I could view the world through those eyes but I know how terribly naive that would make me. I'll just have to settle for the occasional glimpses through Mia's and Owen's eyes.

And no, I did not watch the State of the Union. I'll read it later this morning. There's less clapping that way.

Did you watch? Thoughts?

Posted by Chris at January 26, 2011 7:11 AM
Comments

You're asking me? Sure, I watched it and all the MSNBC commentary that followed.

I'm one of the few that was pleased by the seating arrangement. Sure it's symbolic but we have to start somewhere. To see Senators McCain and Kerry and Landrieu and Snowe side by side sends a message even if they're back at each other the next day. To hear the President include the Speaker of the House in his "rags to riches" moment toward the end of the speech was classy.

As for the speech, I'd give him a B+ for content and an A for tone. I worry that he's moving too far to the right but that's the flaming liberal in me speaking.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at January 26, 2011 7:52 AM

That's exactly my sentiment. Now I'm off to do some reading.

Posted by: Elizabeth at January 26, 2011 8:53 AM

I read it last night. We liked it. If he holds to what he's saying, if they make the governmental changes they're talking about, if loopholes are actually found and closed in tax laws and assistance given to small business owners, awesome!

Likely with the cuts, though, the Boy's job is going to come under fire. He's government-funded. Obama already tanked some of that already. We're willing to cope with a potential loss on his side for now if the future holds better things for our country.

Posted by: alektra at January 26, 2011 10:05 AM

I think you missed out if you didn't see it live. The atmosphere was so totally different from other SOTU speeches. Following closely behind Obama's very successful speech in Arizona, this one continued that tone. I was proud to be an American for at least a few minutes last night.

Posted by: Pat at January 26, 2011 10:46 AM

You should read Mia a book written by Obama for his girls...OF THEE I SING.

Posted by: Jen at January 26, 2011 11:01 AM

Didn't watch. We had just put our new television up and were eating dinner. Will watch it when I have time.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at January 26, 2011 11:40 AM

I watched and it was definitely different...I, for one, liked how the clapping and standing ovations were limited...I was not one who liked the standing and cheering after every phrase. I thought it was a good speech. I could have done without having to look at Boehner throughout. I watched long enough to watch the first few phrases of Congressman Ryan's rebuttal but had to turn that off...I'm a bit tired of the blame game that, unfortunately, the Republicans are so darn good at.

I agree with Jen...get Mia the Of Thee I Sing...Obama wrote it for his girls. It's a good book...no politics involved. Leda is also not so jaded by politics, and I wish that could last. It would be nice to think that all those people in that beautiful building were doing good for all of us, rather than themselves and the lobbies they work for...oops, did I say that?

Posted by: cyndy at January 26, 2011 11:58 AM

I love Mia's perspective on politics. I think you are teaching her so well!

Posted by: Heather at January 26, 2011 12:11 PM

I have never been a big watcher of those speeches no matter who is giving them. I think that moment is all political grandstanding and I can watch something really good, like the "Bourne Supremacy"!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 26, 2011 12:29 PM

ROFLMAO! I caught a bit on education on the radio. Let the man FINISH! Good god. All the clapping turned this 30-minute speech into 4-hour Oscars.

As for the content, I think his writer just reuse last year's stuff.

Posted by: oakley at January 26, 2011 3:19 PM