January 17, 2011

Disposable Technology

I just got a brand new laptop. And it's highlighted something of a personality crisis.

In my heart, I'm a Subaru driving, Chucks wearing, vegetable eating, Apple using, novel writing indie musician living somewhere around Portland, Oregon. But in truth I'm a VW driving, fancy work shoes wearing, lazy guy with a decent Fender guitar living just outside Washington, DC banging all this out on a new PC.

Now, there are lots of good reasons for who I am, why I'm doing what I'm doing and where I'm doing it. And I'm not at all unhappy. I drive a VW because I got it used and cheap five years ago and quickly paid it off. I don't wear Chucks because I mowed the grass in the pair I own one too many times and they turned from gray to a bizarre shade of green that is not found anywhere in nature. I haven't recorded an album because, frankly, I'm not that talented and even if I was I don't have that kind of time. Same goes for the whole great American novel thing. Maybe one day. I live in DC because it's my adopted home (though I'll always consider myself a native Texan). And it's where my family is. That's good enough for me. Why the PC? Because the Mac equivalent was three times more expensive.

I don't like to pay a lot for technology because I know that as soon as I plonk down my credit card number something bigger (or smaller as the case may be), faster and awesomer (which isn't a word but should be) will hit the shelves.

I love my new laptop. But it will always remind me that I'm not driving a Subaru through Portland to play in my indie band after completing my great American novel. But of course in three years it'll be obsolete and I'll have moved on.

How does your lifestyle differ from your personality?

Posted by Chris at January 17, 2011 7:40 AM
Comments

My PC shows me that I'm moving ahead in the world. Five years ago I could never have afforded a laptop. Three years ago I bought my first one. That started my photography business. A bit over a year ago I purchased my second one - one with much more power and the ability to run Photoshop without glitching up. I love my PC, and I'm definitely NOT a MAC fan.

Posted by: Randi at January 17, 2011 9:17 AM

I'm not too far off, to be honest. However, I'm re-designing my home office to be very 'me' so I can get even closer.

Posted by: Brad at January 17, 2011 9:33 AM

OK, I hate to break it to you, but you are soooooo not Portland. This is Portland: http://www.hulu.com/portlandia

If you are, in fact, that weird, then it doesn't come across on your blog and I apologize. :)

In fact, I think we need to come up with a new term to describe people like us... Living a yuppie-ish life in a hippie/hipster way. Does that make sense? And, honestly, there is a part of me that is a little bit like the scene in Portlandia where they order chicken. I'll admit it.

Posted by: Erin at January 17, 2011 10:07 AM

My biggest reality vs personality difference is my car. I'm a race car driver at heart, my dad drove race cars for a few years at the local track in my hometown when I was in jr high. I've had previous cars that were more in line with my personality (a Lexus IS300 & an Infiniti G35), but I bought both cars used w/too many miles on them, and a few years they were starting to break down. I'm currently in a sensible Corolla that was essentially a gift from my dad, but I can't stop dreaming of cars.

Posted by: Maggie at January 17, 2011 11:00 AM

I'm a much more productive person in my dreams :P

Posted by: Heather at January 17, 2011 12:48 PM

In my heart I am a jean and sweater wearing, working from home translator and writer living in the sticks with a few cats and maybe a dog, driving my old van as little as possible, or maybe an electric car, growing veg and raising chicken in my garden. In reality I live in the sticks but drive my old not-environmental-friendly van (a giveaway) five days a week to go to a place I despise and do a dull job on a PC. However, I grow veg in the summer, have four cats and three chicken. I am the proud and happy owner of a MacBook. And I get to work in jeans and sweaters. So there is only the tiny problem of the job to solve...

Posted by: viviane at January 17, 2011 1:06 PM

Mostly WYSIWYG.

In my mind: minivan driving mother of three boys, biology professor, mostly green house, good cook, simple but elegant design.

Mostly the same, but, not as thin, rich, green, well-published, or tidy as I'd prefer. Not as comfortable or as frequent a hostess as I'd like (rarely see friends - too busy chasing kids). And, our design is simple (minus the elegant).

Posted by: K at January 17, 2011 1:23 PM

Wow, in soooo many ways...
In my mind, I have a large family (just me and my dad in real life, plus some cousins I barely know); a man who loves me and is wonderful and loved by me (no-one at all in real life, wonderful or otherwise); a clean and tidy townhouse (not a messy apartment); and I'm waaaay more creative. In reality, I have the ideas (writing, painting, drawing, making) and often start projects, but never finish them because my real job (translating medical texts - which I enjoy, but not passionately), real life get in the way.
I think I'm a creative person, but really, you'd never know it apart from birthday party invites made by hand twice a year...
And personality? Well, my ex would probably say I don't have one (he doesn't think I have emotions, which goes to show how little he got to know me in 14 years together), but in reality, I'm highly sensitive and over-emotional, whereas in my fantasy lifestyle I'd be a bit more together, a bit more extrovert and expansive, less reserved.
So yeah. Lots of dissatisfaction over here, though I'm not as miserably as I sound: I love the city I live in, I like my apartment (and would like it more if it were tidy), I like my job well enough. I would like some male company, though, that's for sure...

Posted by: Kirsty at January 17, 2011 3:55 PM

I have had a daydream (cir 1966) of me driving a Jeep conv in a skit and floppy hat with a Malmute in the back seat. I would make my living writing science fiction from my Hobbit hole. Reality- married to a shop rat and raising 4 damn brats through some really hard times. 4 teens while being laid off. After 33 years we are good, Snow birding between N Mi and Fl and the marriage is solid. I just wish I could have had me my Jeep.

Posted by: jossisboss at January 17, 2011 8:40 PM

I am a health food junkie who finds herself at McDonalds with increasing regularity. Like, a lot. Like, too much. Waaaay too much.

But I love my Mac. If I could dress it up in baby clothes and push it around the neighborhood in a stroller, I would. I think I like it more just because I know how freaking expensive it is.

Posted by: seekingelevation at January 18, 2011 7:03 AM

I'm like the opposite of you--I'm totally the "buy the PC because it's cheaper!" sort but I went with a mac instead. The price thing really hurt me, and there are a few statistical functions that I can't do easily on a mac without running windows that was a big pain when I was in school, but I had heard enough horror stories about Vista (and listened to my husband, bless his heart, screaming at his newer Vista-running computer) to suck up the extra cost so that the thing would work. I'm not terribly computer savvy and just couldn't handle the idea of a computer that I was constantly fighting against.

But for me, I whole-heartedly support your decision to go for the (significantly) cheaper alternative. The price difference is just ridiculous.

Posted by: Angela at January 19, 2011 4:13 PM

Personality - I guess that's an ever changing situation for me. Somedays I'm quite the yuppie, since I have that desire to be in a city, I need a profession instead of a job, and I like when things are streamlined and polished.

Lifestyle - I'm a crunchier granola hippie than I thought I'd be, honestly. I am pro paying more taxes so people get food and shelter and healthcare. I am now growing plants in my office to make the space feel a little better. I upcycle a bunch for fun. We only own one car, and I don't WANT to get another one. I am something of a clutterer, even though everyone really thinks my office/home will be neat as a pin when they meet me.

Posted by: alektra at January 19, 2011 4:16 PM

In my mind I have a large mostly built by hand house out in the country with many kids, a huge garden, some animals and our house is the fun place to be- sort of a muggle Mrs. Weasley. In reality I'm a subaru driving, Boulder hippie bordering on yuppie who takes public transport and has no kids. Kind of like being the wrong shade of your favorite color.

Posted by: dinwizzle at January 19, 2011 11:27 PM

I'm not entirely sure what I was supposed to be doing but now suits me fine... like what I do, and who I work with.

Still, I pictured life to be less 9 to 5, Monday to Friday.. more eclectic. Not sure that can happen with kids.

Posted by: Nat at January 20, 2011 10:29 PM

Ceci est le contenu incroyable, je suis si heureux que j'ai trouvé ce blog de qualité

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:24 AM