January 24, 2011

I Am A Huge Dork

I am a closet Doctor Who fan. Of course, well, I've left the closet now which is fine because it was dark in there.

When I was a kid, I used to sneak out of my room in the middle of the night, cross the hall into our small upstairs TV room, sit on the way-80s couch (a beige woven material with a light Nordic-looking wood frame) and turn on the Sony Trinitron that got five stations one of which was PBS that, late at night on weekends, invariably ran old episodes of Doctor Who. I say middle of the night but it was probably, like, 10:00 because PBS usually shut itself down at midnight in those days.

In college - with nothing better to do like write term papers or study for geology tests - I wound up at my local Blockbuster renting an old Doctor Who episode. And the memories of those late nights with PBS came flooding back. I was in love. By the time I graduated, I'd accumulated not only a major in Far Eastern history and a minor in English but a vast collection of Doctor Who episodes.

A few years later I discovered that people - writers who had contributed to the original series - had written a series of books. I bought them. I devoured them.

Many more years later the series was rebooted and I paid little attention. Until Christmas when iTunes had each of the five seasons for $10 a pop. So I'm catching up. And it's freaking brilliant. Of course Beth doesn't agree. She just looks at me and says watching Doctor Whatsit again? and she giggles and I laugh because I know that she knows the real name of the show but she's just making fun of me.

And that's okay. Because I'm a dork who loves a forty year old show about a dude who travels time and space in an old blue police box.

Posted by Chris at January 24, 2011 7:03 AM
Comments

Oh boy, are you in for a treat. Not only is it not 40 years old, it's nearly 50 years old....it's still going! There have been 26 seasions and 770 episodes. We're up to 11 doctors now so plenty to keep you going for ever and a day.

Posted by: ChocolateChip_Wookie at January 24, 2011 7:45 AM

I absolutely love the new series of Doctor Who, but I never watched any of the "older" versions.

I'm catching up by reading the "Doctor Who for Newbies" series over at nerdist.com.

Are you going to check out Torchwood, the Doctor Who spinoff for grown ups (as opposed to the Sarah Jane Chronicles, which I believe is more for kids)?

Posted by: Susan at January 24, 2011 8:58 AM

I've only recently gotten into the new Doctor Who, after avoiding the show for years because it scared the HELL out of me as a kid. Torchwood, which is what prompted me to give Doctor Who another chance, is also geektastic.

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 24, 2011 9:05 AM

I would also highly recommend Torchwood, and for both Who and Torchwood there are official radio dramas that are canon and that fit inbetween episodes; they have their own stories but also add more backstory and with them certain episodes make more of an impact because you understand it deeper.

We've put up several BAD WOLF stickers around the office; just doing our part. ;)

Posted by: metawizard2 at January 24, 2011 9:18 AM

I loved the old ones and watched them passionately as a kid! I haven't gotten into the new series as much, but my husband adores it.

Posted by: Elizabeth at January 24, 2011 9:36 AM

Absolutely love Doctor Who!

And like the comments above, I also recommend Torchwood. Not so much the first season, but definitely the second and third.

Posted by: mikkie at January 24, 2011 9:57 AM

Okay another Doctor Who fan here!! LOVE IT!! I can hardly wait for Spring when the new season will start and they are going to be doing some of the shows here in the USA. Looking forward to those too! I DVR the shows to make sure I don't miss any. I don't much care for the old old black and white shows though.

Posted by: Trish V at January 24, 2011 10:03 AM

I love the Doctor Who reboot! Doctor #10 is my favorite, but I'm warming up to #11. The seasons with Rose are just incredible.

I also love Torchwood, but when I started watching it I hadn't watched Doctor Who and didn't know it was a spinoff. I'm re-watching it now (they just started re-showing it on BBCAmerica every afternoon) and now that I've seen Doctor Who I get all of the references and connections.

Posted by: Jaime at January 24, 2011 10:21 AM

My wife bought me a giant pile of Dr. Who DVD's for Christmas. The Key To Time series, Destiny of the Daleks. Awesome.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at January 24, 2011 10:23 AM

I love the new Dr. Who. Now I want to watch the original. I also recommend Torchwood. A new version, where Torchwood moves to the US, is about to be made. Love me some Capt. Jack!

Posted by: LeeAnn at January 24, 2011 10:50 AM

I know people who made a life-sized Dalek to have it in the house. You are fine where you are on the dork scale.

Posted by: alektra at January 24, 2011 11:05 AM

Clueless here. No idea what this is.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at January 24, 2011 11:17 AM

I'm a late bloomer Whovian, having started at the Rose finale. Now I'm trying to go back to Christopher Eccleson's seasons to catch up.

Now, do you agree with the newest claim that Matt Smith is the best Doctor ever? I'm Team Tenant over here. Heh.

Posted by: oakley at January 24, 2011 12:01 PM

My husband turned me on to Dr. Who a year or two ago and I LOVE IT! I'm in love with David Tennant, but the new guy (Matt Smith?) is pretty good. He channels Tennant well.

Posted by: Brooke at January 24, 2011 12:08 PM

I loooooove Dr. Who, and Torchwood is really good too. David Tennant is my favorite Doctor <3

Posted by: Katie at January 24, 2011 1:15 PM

I love love Dr. Who - but mostly because of David Tennant - who is BRILLIANT. His production of Hamlet was out of this world. Matt Smith is fun too, but not half as cool as Tennant.

Posted by: JSEE at January 24, 2011 4:07 PM

Dr. Who is pretty much a cult in our house (kids in the UK of 'our 40ish age' were brought up on it, kinda like Marmite!)

When I was a kid the early ones (Ton Baker era) used to scare the living s**t of of me ... I remember clearly hiding behind the couch simply terrified....now when I see those daleks (made from egg cartons?) they seem ludicrous : )

Posted by: english thorn at January 24, 2011 4:46 PM

Yup, another "early 40s" Brit here, confirming that Dr Who was an integral part of Saturday late-afternoon/early evening TV in our house; I seem to remember it being on not long after that weird guy reading the football (soccer, I mean) scores like a robot...
I have to confess that I loathed the show as a kid - it scared me really badly. But I've heard the new series (plural) are pretty good.
And yeah, like english thorn, my memories of Dr Who are Tom Baker and Peter Davidson (never seen any later versions).
The really early series are hilarious, though, with their very Ed Wood-like homemade "special effects"!
And you know why Daleks could never take over the world, right? It's because they can't cope with stairs... they just fall over!
Ex-ter-min-ate!

Posted by: Kirsty at January 24, 2011 6:35 PM

Well, I read the title and thought, "And this is new?" :P Because I am a big mean jerk. I've thought about watching the newer version but am far enough behind on the shows I already watch!

Posted by: Heather at January 24, 2011 11:26 PM

I became a Dr Who fan when my kids were born. It was one of the only things on TV when they would require their late night feeding, and therefore, I watched it. (It was either that or fall asleep while nursing, and that's just rude). I loved the show, but some of them were creepy and made me hide under a blanket with my newborn looking at me like "WTF mom?!"
... and I still can't look at a stone angel without wondering if it's going to follow me...
... oh, and I want the Tardis in my backyard. That would be sweet.

Posted by: Kim at January 25, 2011 8:25 AM

Yay Doctor Who! We are totally hooked-- to the point of "acquiring" the episodes from the Series of Tubes as soon as they're aired on the BBC.

I totally second (third?) the recommendation of Torchwood, it's a load of fun as well. Beth might actually like that one too.

Posted by: leslie at January 25, 2011 12:32 PM

Allow me to introduce your next weekly timewaster. I can't help feeling that you and Nicholas may have something in common: http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/tag/doctor who or possibly http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/tag/doctor%20who

Posted by: Anne at January 25, 2011 7:53 PM

My brother and I would watch Doctor Who when we'd get home from school when we were little. They played reruns in the late afternoon. Then we'd run around playing Doctor Who. I'd usually be a dalek because I'm that awesome. I always wanted my very own K-9.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at January 27, 2011 12:36 AM