January 31, 2011

Lost Weekend

When the weekend starts off with getting puked on on Friday evening, you'd think that it would all be uphill from there. You'd be wrong, but I can see how you'd think that. Okay, so there was no more puking the remainder of the weekend but still that's not a great start. And it got worse.

When I left you last week, Mia was trying to get over the plague a really bad cold and Beth had just picked it up. Owen and I were fine. Or, we were until Friday afternoon.

The first sign that something was wrong with Owen was the puke. I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier but I suspected something was up at that point. By Friday night Owen was so very miserable that by 10:00 he was on top of me in the guest room, my presence being the only thing that seemed to soothe him. He was better than expected on Saturday. Saturday night was a different story. I was in the guest room with him by 9:30. Unlike the previous night, I took my beer with me. After twenty or thirty pages of non-fiction about North Korea, my eyes began to close and I drifted off...only to be awoken at 11:00 for one of the most horrific nights in my personal parenting history. Owen couldn't get comfortable, screamed frequently, and was an oven, running a fever. Owen got no sleep. I got no sleep. We got up for the day at 5:30 AM and Beth overheard us and bailed me out. Two hours later the kids came barreling into the room and scaled Mt. Daddy. And I was up for the day.

As it turned out, Owen had double ear infections so, you know, not his fault.

If you're keeping score at home:
Mia: Recovering after an insanely bad week-long cold marked by extreme coughing, a high fever and no desire to play Lego Star Wars Wii.

Beth: Recovering after a slightly milder cold with no desire to play Lego Star Wars Wii though this is not surprising because she's never had the desire to play Lego Star Wars Wii.

Owen: Sick. Double ear-infections, lack of sleep, fever and general intolerance for anyone who is not daddy. His desire to play Lego Star Wars Wii has never waned.

Me: Fucking tired. I want a bed to myself (or to be shared with my hot wife). I couldn't give a shit about Lego Star Wars Wii.

And how are you?

Posted by Chris at January 31, 2011 6:10 AM
Comments

Ugh. I'm with you. My daughter's asthma has flared back up. She will only sleep if she's lying on top of me and then I can't sleep because I'm so busy counting inhalations and imagining worst case scenarios. The bright side? They want us when they're sick. Even though I really can't do anything, she feels better when she's with me. It's kind of unbelievable.

Posted by: seekingelevation at January 31, 2011 7:43 AM

Although my weekend was nothing special, it was certainly better than yours. Hope everyone is back to their best ASAP!

Posted by: Elizabeth at January 31, 2011 8:00 AM

Let me put it this way...I've been up for an hour, and this post jarred me into realizing that today is not Sunday.

Posted by: COD at January 31, 2011 9:10 AM

I spent my weekend moving a physics-defying amount of our shit from the two-bedroom apartment we've been living in for 7 years to the semidetached house we bought late last year. It was Hell on Earth, but I still prefer it to being puked on.

Posted by: Martin at January 31, 2011 9:37 AM

Good. I survived skiing on Thursday, and then actually got out to the movies over the weekend and saw "The King's Speech". Great movie, great acting!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 31, 2011 9:39 AM

We had the plague at our house too. It was the 7 year old puking at the beginning of the week (luckily, she's old enough to know that she needs to get to the bathroom QUICKLY when she feels like she's going to puke). The 5 year old decided to wait till we were at breakfast at Bob Evans on Saturday morning to start hurling. Lucky for me, I'm such an intuitive mom, I noticed the partial burp/confused look on her face, and grabbed her (leaving my confused mother and other 2 kids at the table) and hightailed it for the bathroom. We MADE IT!!! Hallelujah!
Needless to say, I didn't get to finish my banana bread. Bummer.

Posted by: Kim at January 31, 2011 9:48 AM

Uh, apparently it was better than yours. We had awesome weather out here in Cali. My stepson took his final sailing lesson; we took my stepdaughter for overdue birthday pictures, had lunch al fresco at California Pizza Kitchen, took a nap. Yesterday we slummed around the house since it was raining a little. I took all the crap that's being staged for a garage sale out of the house and put it in the garage where it belongs. I still find myself stepping around the boxes, even though they aren't there.

I hope everyone is on the road to recovery.

Posted by: Brooke at January 31, 2011 11:50 AM

See, this is why I check in with you Monday mornings. Because my idea of a "lost weekend" now pales in comparison to what you experienced! Even though we did stuff, I just don't feel very accomplished: grocery shopping at 3 stops, reading most of Ken Follett's World Without End on the couch, staying out of my husband's way while he brewed his first batch of beer, having a family meeting to go over weekly schedules (we live with his mom), and creating projections / assumptions for the farm we want to start this year.

Staring at the computer for hours on end then coming into work on Monday to do the same thing is kind of defeating, but then I read "my presence being the only thing that soothed him" and I kind of have this weird yearn for your kind of lost weekend.

Posted by: mjp at January 31, 2011 12:16 PM

There is something tremendously unfair about getting sick on a weekend!

Posted by: Heather at January 31, 2011 12:24 PM

Never fun when your kids are sick and worse when they are so little. Glad Owen is better, sorry about the crappy weekend.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at January 31, 2011 1:19 PM

I've got the plague. It's no fun. It's not nearly so bad in my house though, since there's no kids, just a dog.

Posted by: Katie at January 31, 2011 3:30 PM

Working all weekend and not sleeping. 23 hours right now since last 2 hour nap.

Posted by: alektra at January 31, 2011 4:56 PM

Ugh... been there, done that (or something close). Last week, I had the head cold from hell. I can finally breathe, but now I have a fantastic cough. And I can't take a damn thing, thanks to the baby in my belleh. The kids at school are doing all the puking, and frankly, they can keep that shiznit.

Apparently, it's too much to ask to have a restful night sans the rattle of my chest with the coughing.

Perhaps you can find a small window of time in which to turn off your office lights and crawl under your desk for a power nap? I will no doubt feel your pain this time next year... At any rate, I wish you many peaceful, restful nights in your near future!

Posted by: ironic1 at January 31, 2011 9:32 PM

I'm good, I think. Kids healthy. WAY too much Lego Star Wars Wii though.

Posted by: Lisa at January 31, 2011 10:46 PM

My boy was sick today and ALL he wanted to do was play Lego Star Wars on the Wii, which he hasn't mentioned in months. Weird.

Posted by: Rebecca at February 1, 2011 9:39 PM

The Skechers Shpae Ups Online hot sale, enjoying the comfort from Shape Ups shoes, here not only MBT Sandals Sale but also Reebok Zigtech Sale!

Posted by: Skechers shape ups at March 28, 2011 9:48 PM

Our Beats By Dr Dre Headphones and Bose Headphones can let the music lover enjoy, the Beats By Dre headphones with noise cancelling features, a best buy for Beats Dr Dre earphones!

Posted by: Beats By Dr Dre at March 28, 2011 9:48 PM