January 7, 2011

The Weeklies #160

The Weekly Expensive Fish. In Japan a ginormous tuna fetched $396,000. I don't know what that has to do with anything but it's interesting, right? No?

The Weekly Publicity Stunt. Did you know it's officially the Year Of The Pie? Does that sound dirty to anyone else? (Well, I'll never get a press release from those folks again!)

The Weekly Read. I can almost guarantee that the first book I finished in 2011 will go on my list of best books of the year - The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman. It was an utterly absorbing, wonderful book that I discovered at just the right time. I'd been aching for a story I could sink my teeth into, that involved me. And that's exactly what I got. It was funny, it was odd, it was wonderful.

The Weekly Life Imitating Art. Did you watch Lost? Do you remember those omnipresent numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42? In a weird case of life imitating art, the MegaMillions jackpot - valued at $355 million had something in common with that series of numbers - 4, 8, 15, 25, 47, 42.

The Weekly Music. Do you remember the Banana Splits? It was a surreal and terrible kids' show from the 70's. I have the theme song stuck in my head. It's awful. If there was a way to remove the song from my brain using standard-issue office supplies, I totally would.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. See The Weekly Music. Or Lindsay Lohan (again). Those are both good but I'd particularly like to commend CNN on trying their hardest to get to the bottom of that whole dead-birds-falling-out-of-the-sky thing by throwing the issue to noted bird expert Kirk Cameron. Wait. Kirk Cameron - star of the long-dead sitcom Growing Pains - isn't a noted bird expert? He's a fundamentalist Christian? And he'd know about this bird thing why? To his credit, Cameron kinda said the same thing in the interview, eschewing the notion that it was a sign of the end of times. Especially since all Biblical scholars know that Kirk Cameron being interviewed as an expert on anything is a sign of the end of days.

The Weekly Question. What's the first selfish purchase you'd make if you won the lottery?

Posted by Chris at January 7, 2011 7:00 AM
Comments

I'd refinish my house top to bottom! New paint, carpets, furniture, etc!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 7, 2011 10:19 AM

I'd probably get a new lens for my camera. Or a one-man outrigger canoe. But mostly I'd let my wife deal with it, b/c I don't much like dealing w/ money. And she has much better judgment than I do.

As for the Bannana Splits, I do remember them, and mentally somehow class the show with HR Puffnstuff (not sure where this c@#p comes from in my brain!). I suspect my 8 year-old brain thought they were about equivalent.

To treat the song-in-head disorder, I apply loud doses of things like: White Stripes, Springsteen, Patti Smith....

Posted by: pvz at January 7, 2011 10:43 AM

If I won the lottery, I would buy myself a whole new wardrobe without ever going near the clearance racks. Wild, I know!

In the mid-90s, an album came out that was all Saturday Morning Cartoon themes, covered by alternative artists. Liz Phair & Material Issue did the Banana Splits theme, and my friend Mike used it as the intro song when he & his wife walked into their wedding reception. It was kind of awesome. But you're right, the original sucked.

Posted by: Becky at January 7, 2011 12:03 PM

Funny. you start with fish and you end with (sel)fish. :)

If I won the lottery, I'd buy myself a few months in Italy, learning to cook and learning the language.

Posted by: oakley at January 7, 2011 12:25 PM

I thought the fish thing was crazy. I understand it was a big fish - but wow. That's TOO much money!

First completely selfish purchase would be straight to the Toyota Dealership to get myself a new FJ Cruiser. Black cherry with a white top and built in racks. Yeah, baby!

Posted by: Mindy at January 7, 2011 12:33 PM

New car! I want a BMW M Roadster. Probably white.

Posted by: Maggie at January 7, 2011 12:43 PM

My first totally selfish purchase would be a shiny black 2011 Nissan Frontier SL .. *drools*

*sigh*

Posted by: Jen at January 7, 2011 12:50 PM

I'd be buying so, so many things. Maybe first would be a spa day ;-) A sweet car and a house would be very high priority.

Posted by: Heather at January 7, 2011 1:20 PM

My first item would be to buy my house (pay off mortgage). Quite soon after I would buy new carpet and re-do the kitchen. Actually, maybe I'd buy some land to build a dream house on and then build said dream house. I'd also give a bunch away to make as many other peoples dreams coem true as I could.

Posted by: Mutt at January 7, 2011 2:10 PM

The whole dead birds/fish plus the Lost lottery numbers thing is pointing to the end of the world, if you ask me. Therefore, I will be spending my lottery winnings on a bomb shelter.

Posted by: Procrastamom at January 7, 2011 2:35 PM

Here's a link to the Liz Phair Banana Splits version. Pretty awesome actually.

Posted by: Heather at January 7, 2011 3:52 PM

How much was the lottery?

I don't know. I'd give some of it away and maybe buy our own small house. Or maybe we'd move back to San Francisco, rent something manageable for the two of us and the cat, and buy a bus pass and season ticket(s) to the opera and the Giants. On second thought, that's the much better plan and I could still find some worthy causes. Trouble is, there's so many of them but I'd probably stay with local for the most part.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at January 7, 2011 4:10 PM

Year of the Pie? Is this voted on by the producers of "Animal House"?

If you think the Banana Splits is bad...try the Muppets "Manamana" song when going into a very important meeting.

As for winning the lottery, my first big splurge would be a cruise up the Rhein River in Germany...I would love to see Germany!!

Posted by: Krush at January 7, 2011 4:43 PM

I'd buy a farm. Crazy but true.

Or maybe a steak first and then the farm.

Posted by: Poppy at January 7, 2011 5:41 PM

New boobs..... (kidding) I would buy a house, and new car, but those are not really that selfish since I do plan on taking my kids and husband with me so I would buy something in the jewelery depeatment

Posted by: Shannon at January 8, 2011 12:13 AM

The lottery would also make me type better so I would not have to double comment correcting my spelling, make that something in the jewelery "department"

Posted by: Shannon at January 8, 2011 12:16 AM

a housekeeper!

on another note, did you post your favorite books of 2010 anywhere? I always get great titles from you for my husband.

Posted by: Lisa at January 8, 2011 8:24 AM

My friend and I had a protracted conversation about the Banana Splits on Thursday, which culminated with a 2 hour youtube binge. Not recommended. ;)

The lottery: I don't play. But if I did, and I won some absurd amount of money? New car, land & a house (solar powered, baby!) and a vacation. I'd love to have someone come and wash & blow dry my hair for me every day, too, but that's a little decadent even for a lottery winner. ;)

Posted by: Kim at January 8, 2011 11:07 AM

A cabin in the mountains.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at January 8, 2011 5:50 PM

Well there are many things I'd do, but probably the first thing would buy some incredible clothes and plane tickets to Europe!!

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at January 8, 2011 9:10 PM

I'd go on a round the world trip first class to Africa, Europe, and stay in the finiest hotels with my friends and family.

Posted by: Aurelia at January 9, 2011 12:29 AM

Ohhhh. . .how have I not seen this blog before? I love the books you're reading and the music you're listening to. Clearly, I've found a new blog. I'll be back!

Posted by: seekingelevation at January 9, 2011 1:56 PM

My 'selfish purchase' would be one night in the Icehotel in Sweden. It's the only thing on my bucket list.

Posted by: coolchick at January 9, 2011 2:44 PM

I subscribbed to your rss feed ugg boots but for some reason I haven't been getting the updates. Maybe its something on my end. Any way I guess I have to just look through the archive. Thanks.

Posted by: nike air max 95 at January 10, 2011 2:39 AM

Come on Chris, the Banana Splits rocked.:)
Four banana, three banana, two banana, one
All bananas playin' in the bright warm sun.
Flippin' like a pancake, popping like a cork
Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper an' Snork

Makin' up a mess of fun,
makin' up a mess of fun
Lots of fun for everyone
Tra la la, la la la la
Tra la la, la la la la
Tra la la, la la la la
Tra la la, la la la la

I had to do it. So its stuck in your head again. LOL

Posted by: Marla Mentzer at January 10, 2011 8:11 AM

There are millions of people out there needing help Abercrombie Online with finding the right freelancing markets. Glad to see you're taking the time to help others out. Excellent article.

Posted by: Abercrombie Online at January 10, 2011 10:15 PM

Is tethering against the Terms of Service of mobile phone companies? Which ones allow it?

Posted by: louboutin shoes at January 11, 2011 3:31 AM

My first selfish purchase would absolutely be a horse= a young, versatile, healthy and hearty Quarter Horse mare.

Posted by: Karen at January 11, 2011 9:04 PM

I am happy to find so many useful information here in the post, we need develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing.

Posted by: 640-863 Testking at March 1, 2011 6:05 AM