January 21, 2011

The Weeklies #161

The Weekly Pop Culture Time Suck. I'll admit it. I was curious. Which is why I tuned in to the American Idol premier. I wanted to see the new judges and it wasn't long before I was hooked.

The Weekly Time Waster. Slash Boom.

The Weekly Read. I love Patton Oswalt. He is one of the funniest, smartest stand-up comedians I've ever heard. I was thrilled when his first book hit shelves earlier this month. Zombie Spaceship Wasteland is a collection of laugh-out-loud personal recollections sprinkled with odds and ends like notes on a film that doesn't exist and excerpts from a graphic novel. Once again Oswalt shows just how damn talented he is. Definitely worth picking up a copy.

The Weekly Music. A couple of days back I downloaded a copy of The Decemberists' new album The King Is Dead. And what a fantastic album it is. It's filled with energetic, succinct and rootsy songs. The only true complaint I have is that, clocking in at just under 40 minutes, the album is too short. When the album ended, I wanted more. I can only hope they follow up with something similar...and soon.

The Weekly Movie. We finally got around to watching Inception. I'm not sure I completely understood what was going on but it was a helluva good movie.

The Weekly Fear-Monger. According to the Toronto Sun, Seth Rogan recently got a chance to sit down and talk with George Lucas. What Lucas said surprised him just a bit:

He recalls, “George Lucas sits down and seriously proceeds to talk for around 25 minutes about how he thinks the world is gonna end in the year 2012, like, for real. He thinks it.

“He’s going on about the tectonic plates and all the time Spielberg is, like, rolling his eyes, like, ’My nerdy friend won’t shut up, I’m sorry...’

“I first thought he (Lucas) was joking... and then I totally realized he was serious and then I started thinking, ’If you’re George Lucas and you actually think the world is gonna end in a year, there’s no way you haven’t built a spaceship for yourself... So I asked him... ’Can I have a seat on it?’

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Octomom cashed in...again. This time, though, it's quite possibly more disturbing that squeezing eight kids out of her hoo-ha. No, this time she's wearing a corset and whipping a very large man wearing only a diaper. I promise I'm not making this up. Check out any of the gossip sites. I'm not giving you a link because I don't want to be responsible for you clawing your eyes out.

The Weekly Question. In your opinion, what's the funniest movie ever made?

Posted by Chris at January 21, 2011 7:03 AM
Comments

I have to go with a classic: The Jerk. That movie never fails.

Posted by: Lisa at January 21, 2011 7:35 AM

I never get tired of watching "Airplane". It's a tossup between that, Kevin Kline in "Pirates of Penzance", and "Princess Bride".

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at January 21, 2011 8:29 AM

Hum, funny movies aren't my strong suit, but I got a kick out of Best in Show.

Glad you liked Inception. My husband and I loved it, although I have to agree that I'm not entirely sure I was always following it. Wired did a great article on it in their December issue.

Posted by: Elizabeth at January 21, 2011 8:38 AM

First, you gotta watch Inception again sometime. It's a great 2nd-time-movie. That's saying a lot coming from me because I rarely re-watch films.

Best comedy is super hard. Everyone's humor is different. I think Spaceballs is freaking hilarious but my wife doesn't. I'd have to say my favorite is Office Space.

Posted by: Brad at January 21, 2011 9:38 AM

I think I will quickly grow tired of Steven Tyler hitting on 16 yr olds...

Posted by: Kaz at January 21, 2011 10:05 AM

How can you pick just one Chris come on, Blazing Saddles(though not PC)- Christmas Vactaion,classic but just looking at Randy Quaid is funny even his mug shots. They both get honorable mention.

I guess for me it is a tie between Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail and The Hangover-naked Asian man popping out of the trunk to beat you up funniest thing ever!

Posted by: Elizabeth at January 21, 2011 10:12 AM

My favorite movie (comedy) is "A Fish Called Wanda". And anything by Monty Python. Love those guys!

Posted by: cyndy at January 21, 2011 1:32 PM

Wow, that is a tough one. I love Airplane! I also laugh like hell every time I watch Evan Almighty. I love love love all things Mel Brooks... so.. I cannot really pick just one!! :)

Posted by: Jen at January 21, 2011 1:37 PM

Funniest movie ever. That's a tough one. I'll have to go with Brad up above and say Office Space.

What about the movie that made you almost piss yourself with laughter? For me that was the first time I saw American Pie. I almost passed out at the "And this one time at band camp..." last line.

Posted by: Rex at January 21, 2011 1:42 PM

Funniest film? Wow, that's hard...
I loved Monty Python's Life of Brian, and always laugh when I watch The Full Monty...
I'm no fan of slapstick/cartoonish "humour" (for example, Gore Verbinski's Mouse Hunt (or whatever it's called in English) which I saw with my daughter on a school trip and HATED)...
I also thought Mars Attacks! was pretty funny...
Truth be told, I'm not much of a "funny film" kinda gal... More, musicals and fluffy chick films and dramas and, well, just about everything except comedy (oh: La Vérité Si Je Mens was a hilarious French comedy and no, that's not necessarily an oxymoron).

Posted by: Kirsty at January 21, 2011 2:12 PM

I've watched both nights of Idol. I've cried both times, from laughing so dam hard. I'm hooked. This season is definitely worth watching.

Posted by: Issa at January 21, 2011 4:48 PM

I can watch weird science over and over. Loved hangover too...superbad is one that made me laugh out loud! Did u see that a couple summers ago? It's hilarious!

Posted by: niki at January 21, 2011 5:31 PM

I think Napoleon Dynamite ranks right up there, and Caddyshack can't be ignored. But the funniest thing ever recorded is Eddie Murphy's "Delirious." Thirty years later, everyone still remembers Aunt Bunny, Uncle Gus, "goonie goo goo," and G.I. Joe, swimmin' in the water.

Posted by: Heidi at January 21, 2011 5:48 PM

Funniest movie is a hard one, but I have to agree with Office Space and the Princess Bride. I would also add the original M*A*S*H movie with Donald Sutherland and Zero Effect with Bill Pullman. Very quirky but no one has ever heard of it.

Posted by: Jen at January 22, 2011 4:14 PM

I loved A Fish Called Wanda and Tootsie. More recently, There's Something about Mary and Y Tu Mama Tambien had me in tears.

Posted by: Gato at January 22, 2011 5:15 PM