January 28, 2011

The Weeklies #162

The Weekly Measurement. Six inches. Of snow. Not...you know.

The Weekly Affliction. There's something sinister, fever and sniffle-inducing making its way through our house. It's first victim? Mia who has been home from school all week. Now it appears to have attacked Beth. Owen and I will be inflating our bubbles and hiding in the basement.

The Weekly Time Waster. Insidia.

The Weekly Read. A car salesman takes out his aggression on customers who didn't close deals. That is the premise of J. Gregory Smith's Final Price. It is a twisted novel that functions on a few different levels - it's a character study, a mystery, a thriller and just good, pure unadulterated fiction. Definitely recommended.

The Weekly Music. I own somewhere between 50 and 75 of Pearl Jam's "official bootlegs" from the past decade. That didn't stop me from picking up their latest, Live On Ten Legs, a double-length live release. It shows one of the greatest bands still playing today in perfect form. They sound as good if not better than they did when they debuted with Ten so many years ago. And what's more, they don't shy away from playing the songs that made them famous. It's a must for any fan, hardcore or casual.

The Weekly Movie. I wasn't quite sure what to make of Exit Through The Gift Shop. Was it an authentic documentary taking a look at not only street art but the rise to prominence of a documentary filmmaker turned street artist? Or was it a send-up by a prominent street artist illustrating the power of commercialism to corrupt art? Hard to say really. But it was fun to watch.

The Weekly Heroes. Princess Leia and Han Solo. Sure, it looks like Mia and Owen but really, it's Leia and Han. And Han's in the Millennium Falcon. Duh.

hanleia.jpg

The Weekly Quote. Former Friend Matt LeBlanc on fame. "Fame is like a jacket that's too small. It's like, 'Fuck, I want to take this off sometimes.' And then it looks OK for the photo. You can't move, but it looks nice."

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Ted Williams - the "golden voiced" homeless dude discovered a few weeks back - checked into rehab then promptly checked out of it against all medical advice. Now, I fully support and believe in an individual's ability to turn their lives around but when someone teetering on the brink is suddenly thrust into the limelight, offered more money than they've seen in a long time, and the instant gratification of seeing themselves everywhere, what can we expect. I feel sorry for the poor bastard.

The Weekly Question. What musician or band would score the music for the movie of your life?

Posted by Chris at January 28, 2011 6:51 AM
Comments

That is too much cuteness for a single photo.. seriously.

As for the musician to score my movie? John Mellencamp.. :)

Posted by: Jen at January 28, 2011 8:37 AM

Dude, everyone knows the original Millennium Falcon was made of wicker, until Lucas imposed his 'vision' on it.
I'd like to say my life would be scored by Mellencamp or Springsteen, but They Might Be Giants is much more accurate, unfortunately.

Posted by: J at January 28, 2011 8:48 AM

Rachel Portman, who did the soundtrack to The Lake House. Just love her romantic themes!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 28, 2011 9:16 AM

Ben Folds, hands down.

Posted by: Martin at January 28, 2011 9:21 AM

Musician or band? Hmmmm... I think it would have to be some kind of weird hybrid of The Smiths and Cyndi Lauper (doesn't really bear thinking about, does it?)... possibly with some Leonard Cohen and Katrina and the Waves undertones.
Very cute picture - hope you all survive the illness thing (you sure do seem to be targeted by all these viruses - have you considered a homeopathy maintenance treatment programme to try and toughen you all up and prevent the attacks?).

Posted by: Kirsty at January 28, 2011 10:41 AM

I agree about the homeless guy; a cautionary tale about be careful what you wish for.

I think a nice collaboration of Howard Jones from LOTR and Weird Al Yankovich would suit my life just fine. ;)

Posted by: metawizard2 at January 28, 2011 10:53 AM

STAR WARS!

My score would be performed by Daft Punk.

Posted by: Poppy at January 28, 2011 11:33 AM

Social Distortion - each album seems to reflect what is going in my life in that very moment!
Wow, that is a profound quote from former Friend Matt Leblanc.

Posted by: meanie at January 28, 2011 12:20 PM

Trent Reznor. He does the soundtrack for all the creepy movies.

But if I'm dead and those decisions were left up to my husband, he'd pick Pearl Jam.

Posted by: seekingelevation at January 28, 2011 1:16 PM

I think I would enjoy the Star Wars movies more if they starred Mia and Owen ;)

Posted by: Heather at January 28, 2011 3:54 PM

The Jesus and Mary Chain.

Posted by: Kristy at January 28, 2011 4:26 PM

The whole score? Jeez. Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark, for at LEAST opening and closing credits.

I love Han and Leia, but really, LUKE. #justsayin

Posted by: Mr Lady at January 29, 2011 6:56 PM

The Foo Fighters. They have a sense of humor but can still express other emotional situations. I think Dave Grohl is amazing.

Posted by: alektra at January 29, 2011 9:09 PM

Peter Gabriel.

And Star Wars is big around here too. Like, epic. Couldn't have pegged THAT in grade 5 (when i watched Empire).

Posted by: harmzie at January 29, 2011 10:13 PM

I have so many PJ boots that I don't think I've listened to them all... ;-)

Love that band. Can't wait for the PJ20 flick.

Posted by: Nat at January 30, 2011 8:41 PM