February 1, 2011

Minor Chord, Major Lift

I'm in the guest room with Mia. Her cold or flu or whatever evil thing it is has gotten the better of her during the dark hours of the night once again. I've convinced her to take medicine - which she does not like - by standing on my head the entire time it takes her to choke it down. She did so tentatively so my feet feel icy, I'm dizzy and moderately convinced that my eyeballs are going to pop out of my head. But she laughed and took her medicine so it was worth it. Dizzy, dazed I scoop her up and take her into the guest room, fold back the sheets and blankets and deposit her while I circle the bed and slip between the clean, cool sheets on the other side. And I notice that she is wide awake. Not surprising after the medicine and head-standing.

I take out my iPad and suggest that we listen to some music. I tell her about this amazing song I heard earlier in the evening, one of her mother's favorite songs and one of mine. So we listen to Jake Shimabukuro perform his amazing version of Hallelujah. On a ukulele. The ukulele fills the small space between us, filling this little bubble with plucking strings. We're floating on this fat pillow of contentment, smiling at each other. Then the song ends and the music segues into an insanely fantastic version of Bohemian Rhapsody. Mia's eyelids grow heavy. Her eyes open and shut, staying closed a split second longer each time. And by the time the last chord is plucked then fades from our little bubble absorbed by the distant sounds of a snow plow somewhere in our neighborhood and the humidifier running in the corner, Mia is fast asleep. And eventually, so I am, snuggled against my daughter, breathing in, breathing out.

Any way the wind blows...

Posted by Chris at February 1, 2011 7:49 AM
Comments

Poor Mia. Awesome Dad. Hope she (and all of your family) is better soon!

Posted by: Elizabeth at February 1, 2011 8:46 AM

Wonderful.

Posted by: Brad at February 1, 2011 9:13 AM

I thought I'd heard every rendition of Hallelujah out there but I hadn't. Listening now. Beautiful.

Hope Mia and Owen are feeling better. It's making the rounds out here too.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at February 1, 2011 9:28 AM

Save that one. I know all of your blog posts are saved, but that one is a must. A great description of creative and loving parenting in action.

Posted by: TeresaLynn at February 1, 2011 9:47 AM

I think you just melted all of the snow outside with the amount of parental love in that post.

Posted by: Beth at February 1, 2011 9:55 AM

Moments like that... they're what makes you push through the ugly stuff of parenting. Moments like that... yeah... they make all the other stuff worth it!

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at February 1, 2011 10:05 AM

I just discovered that song a few months ago, so this was a particularly nice version. Thanks for sharing. And I hope everyone feels better soon.

Posted by: Heather at February 1, 2011 10:41 AM

Bohemian Rhapsody as a lullaby. Perfect. Love that song!
You are an awesome Dad!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 1, 2011 10:47 AM

That was just lovely. Beautifully expressed. This ones a keeper :)

Posted by: Steph at February 1, 2011 11:02 AM

I agree that this is a keeper; if your blog was a book, this should be on the jacket.

Hard to believe this beautiful prose came from the same mind that gave us:
"booze-fuelled orgy with Snow White and three dwarves (dwarves selected by the management and subject to availability; adults only!)"

And yet... :)

Posted by: metawizard2 at February 1, 2011 1:58 PM

Dude, thanks for turning me on to Jake Shimabukuro - wow, how beautiful. My wallet, not thanking you so much! ;-)

And, beautiful post...wish Mia wasn't sick for it, but it is a beautiful post. Hope she (and everyone!) feels better soon!

Posted by: cyndy at February 1, 2011 2:00 PM

I have a mad, crazy love for that song. I'm listening to that arrangement now, and it makes my soul happy, but twisty. Strange. Anyhow. Sounds like a father-daughter moment to remember, and sweetly.

Posted by: Heather at February 1, 2011 3:20 PM

Beautiful story... I love moments like that.

As for Hallelujah on the uke, I must go check that out.

Posted by: Nat at February 1, 2011 4:51 PM

What a special moment. Listening to the tracks, I can see how they would work as beautiful lullabies, for any age. Thanks you for sharing the music and your story.

Posted by: Kathryn at February 1, 2011 7:29 PM

When you have time, you ought to check out the Raindrop Melody Maker. My five year old daughter absolutely loves it. There's an iPhone app too. It is strangely hypnotic and fascinating. Beautiful post. Thanks for being exemplary.

Posted by: Amanda at February 1, 2011 11:10 PM

Seriously: That is some of the finest writing I have read in a long time, especially the second paragraph.

I hope Mia is better soon.

Posted by: Matt Sledge at February 3, 2011 4:01 AM

I just heard his version of Bohemian Rhapsody the other day and loved it. He's also done several Beatles songs which are pretty good too. Didn't know about the Hallelujah on uke-have to check that out! Hope you and Mia are feeling better!

Posted by: Dreamybee at February 4, 2011 6:54 AM