February 4, 2011

The Weeklies #163

The Weekly Word I Can't Believe I Used In A Post Title. Boner

The Weekly Real Affliction. Cold, fever, coughing, achy.

The Weekly Fake Affliction According to Owen. Frozen in carbonite.

The Weekly Read. I've been really, really curious about North Korea lately. I'm not sure why but I finally decided to scratch the itch by picking up Barbara Demick's Nothing To See Here: Ordinary Lives in North Korea. It was an interesting book, primarily an oral history gathered from six defectors. They chronicle their own difficult lives and those of their families while Demick - a frequent traveler to North Korea herself - puts all these stories in the proper historical context. I'll admit that I was after something more sensationalistic - North Korean dictators building robot versions of themselves and plotting to blow up the world with nuclear blimps - but the reality of North Korea is much more sober. It's just an extremely anachronistic, poor country with a dictatorial leadership unable to see their peoples' needs through their cult of personality.

The Weekly Tedium. I have to write my annual performance self-appraisal at work. I get to use awesome words and phrases like leveraged, utilized the full spectrum, robust and capability offering. Yay!

The Weekly Worst Vacation Spot. Egypt.

The Weekly Movie. I loved Dennis Lehane's book Shutter Island. It was wonderfully written and oh-so-creepy. It's a shame that the movie sucked so hard. Really. Even in spite of the fact that Martin Scorsese directed it, they added in so much stuff that was so superfluous to the original story that it turned into a great big mess that tried to hard to twist and turn. Read the book. It was much better.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I don't want to pick on anyone this week. I don't want to pick on Lindsay Lohan for stealing jewelry after getting out of rehab. I don't want to pick on Britney for using a body double in her new video because she apparently couldn't dance worth a damn. I don't want to pick on the beer-bonging Teen Moms. And I especially don't want to pick on Charlie Sheen and his latest coke-fueled house party that landed him in rehab. Nope, not picking on anyone this week.

The Weekly Question. Is the economy getting better?

Posted by Chris at February 4, 2011 7:27 AM
Comments

Not in my neck of the woods.

Posted by: Maribeth at February 4, 2011 8:35 AM

It appears to be, and I hope it is. Especially since i'm about to jump back into the hunting for a job market, I'd like to think I stand a fighting chance at employment that I'm qualified for.

Also, what is it about germs that kids have that totally take down adults? Just wondering if you have any insight into that. My kid's not been sick once this winter (just cursed myself there) and my husband and I have been taken down multiple times by whatever he's bringing home.

Posted by: Beth at February 4, 2011 9:18 AM

Thanks for the link to the Nothing to See Here; I've also been curious, and bless Amazon for putting so many free pages online to whet the appetite!

Movie wise, if you haven't seen Scott Pilgrim vs the World, it's worth checking out. You'll either love it or hate it, but give it until a few minutes after the first fight scene, because it's one of those movies that makes a sudden turn and never looks back.

Economy wise, I think the perception is that it is starting to get better, which since the whole thing is based more on perception than reality anyway may be a good sign. We still have the fundamental problem though: if we're a consumer economy that purchases goods from the rest of the world, where are the majority of the worker class going to get jobs to purchase consumer goods?

I was thinking of this on the drive in: I'm OK with the concept of giving massive tax breaks to the richest few, provided that it results in re-investment in capital to generate factories / manufacturing in the country. I understand that the whole global economy shuts down if we get too protectionist, but at the same time can't we make it a wee bit more advantageous to buy and produce the widgets and bits that make up the rest of the products here, if for no other reason to guarantee that we can continue moving the economy forward?

And finally, why write your own review when the Interwebs can do it for automagically?

Posted by: metawizard2 at February 4, 2011 10:05 AM

Don't forget "Synergize", "Ideated ways to monetize Low-Hanging Fruit", and "obfuscated oblique terminology to fully utilize company resources and procedures".

I have used all of these on my sef appraisals to amazing effect.

Posted by: Justin at February 4, 2011 11:13 AM

I'm hearing from a lot of recruiters. Wasn't before. I think that's an indicator.

Also, houses are selling again...

Posted by: alektra at February 4, 2011 1:22 PM

As our unemployment continues to rise, while already being the highest in the nation, while our number of foreclosures continues to rise, while already being the highest in the nation, and while our housing prices fell even lower, when pretty much everywhere else in the nation is leveling off, I have to say, for Las Vegas, no. No the economy is not getting better.

Posted by: Mindy at February 4, 2011 2:01 PM

If you mean the stock market and the banks, they're doing nicely. More money to pour down the drain and nothing to stop them.

If you mean jobs, not so much although it is a little better.

I guess the trick to a self-assessment is to throw in all the current buzz words.

Have a great weekend. Hope all are well enough to enjoy it.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at February 4, 2011 5:28 PM

OMG, Shutter Island sucked. 5 minutes in, I said to my friend "We can leave, I know how this ends." Lame. Could have been SOOO good!!!

Bah.

Posted by: Melissa at February 4, 2011 7:42 PM

I'm doing that same stupid annual performance crap right now... Only I get to use fun words such as TEAMED, INCREASED, and SUCCESSFULLY. Yay. Can I stab myself now?

Posted by: Secha at February 8, 2011 2:40 PM