February 3, 2011

Calories and Boners

Since the first of the year, my hot wife has exercised every day - twice a day - dramatically adjusted her eating habits and stopped drinking anything fun (unless water counts as fun and I think we can all agree that it doesn't). By her count, she's lost a pretty decent amount of weight (not that she had a lot - or any - to lose) and looks awesome (not that she didn't before). Doubleplushott. Her motivation is awesome to watch. And it makes me feel like a big fat unmotivated slob.

I have a vast untapped reserve of will power that only occasionally finds its way to the surface and is often misplaced. I quit smoking - twice - cold turkey. I have a pretty intense work ethic. But I'll also do stuff like forget to floss for a month or join a gym that I visit precisely twice. I guess my priorities are a little skewed.

I think I'm in okay shape. I can run a mile or two without buying the farm. I proved the other night that I could do pushups with both kids on my back. Sure, it was only one pushup but that's pretty good, right? I drastically turned my eating habits around - I've cut out almost all sugar except for a strategically placed daily treat. That was kind of like giving my first born to the gypsies but I feel better. No meat, no soda, no HFCS. But also? No exercise.

Amazingly, I weigh exactly what I weighed my senior year in high school. This is a fact that shocks my shrink when I go check in with him a couple times a year. Each session begins with me getting on a scale and him quizzing me about my ability to get a hard on. It's an odd sort of greeting but I know he just wants to know how my body is dealing with the meds I'm on.

I know one thing - I've got a hot wife and that's pretty awesome.

Posted by Chris at February 3, 2011 6:58 AM
Comments

What else is there, right?

Posted by: seekingelevation at February 3, 2011 7:18 AM

Start running -- it's the fountain of youth. I started a couple of years ago. I'm not competitive or anything, but going out and running four or five miles three or four times a week has changed me. I feel strong all throughout my body, from the core -- and I know that it's what I've evolved to do. I think it's the best exercise on the planet -- crosstrainers, ellipticals, all those things are boring and lame.

I run three or four races a year -- a couple of 5Ks, a 10K, just to give myself a reason to keep going, and it's totally changed my life. Give it a shot -- there's no feeling like saying, hey man, I'm in shape. I can run five miles.

Posted by: Aaron Bennett at February 3, 2011 8:18 AM

I never, ever exercise. I am lazy and hate to sweat. But I was blessed with a very efficient metabolism, so I'm still a size 6 regardless of what I eat or drink. I know I need to exercise to keep my heart healthy, but I just don't. Very, very bad.

Posted by: Karen at February 3, 2011 8:48 AM

Well, it is amazing how you can weigh exactly what you weighed in high school, but as you age, things just start relocating! I know, it's sad!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 3, 2011 9:08 AM

I'm really impressed with Beth. I'm in the same thing she is, but am failing with the will power. An improvement over December, to be sure, but still. I need to do a little better. Maybe I just need to think of Beth! I'm sure she likes treats just as much as I do. If she can do it, so can I.

Posted by: Heather at February 3, 2011 1:10 PM

Oh you and your metabolism :P Good on Beth for working to be healthier. (I won't even call it losing weight, because she appeared to be at a totally normal hott size, but improving health is ALWAYS good :D )

Posted by: Heather at February 3, 2011 1:17 PM

I hate running. It's pointless and horrible for your knees. And boring. Sorry, I hate runners when there's discussion of running. Endorphins only happen for some people. Color me jealous.

Congrats to Beth and to you both. I need to figure out what to do, but it's hard to get all the work done now with the new business and figure out how to fit it all in.

Posted by: alektra at February 3, 2011 2:03 PM

So what do you put in your coffee now?

Posted by: Darren at February 6, 2011 8:57 AM