February 7, 2011

Superbomb

I'm not a sports guy. You know this about me but I feel the need to come clean and emphasize once again that I'm not a sports guy. And I could literally not care less about football. There is no degree of measurement one could apply to the amount of thought I give to football. But of course - after saying all of this - I am a lemming and I watched the Superbowl last night.

I watch it every year. Sure, I pay more attention to the commercials - at least in the first half - than I do the actual game. But the hype about the commercials has outshone the game and the commercials themselves. Then there's the half-time show. I'm a glutton for punishment. I can't honestly remember a half-time show that I would even call marginal. Janet Jackson's delivered the most memorable performance in the last twenty years but that's only because it was boobdazzled.

I grew up in Texas. Football Country, U.S.A. Land of Friday Night Lights. A world in which high school football programs were incalculably rich while schools' academic programs were graduating illiterates. Growing up it was hard to be the kid who didn't give a damn about organized sports. As an adult it still feels a little strange. I find myself checking out the sports section of CNN just so I have a go-to throw-away tidbit in a meeting or a witty comeback about the local baseball team if needed (and with our baseball team, you always need a witty comeback).

Every year I expect a lame four hours of television and every year I'm proved correct. Last night was no exception. (Is it me or did the Blackeyed Peas look like a bizarre crew of superhero autotune rejects who got kicked off the set of Tron? And seriously, Sweet Child O'Mine? Slash is awesome but Fergie had no business trying to cover that one.)

Did you watch the game? Were there any stand-out moments for you? Is the whole thing hype or is there some merit to it?

Posted by Chris at February 7, 2011 7:10 AM
Comments

I love Football. I really do. The SuperBowl has become such a spectacle of ridiculousness that I can barely tolerate it any more. Hubby and I were watching last night and talking about off of the crap. We just wanted to watch a damned football game.

That half time show was a total joke and whoever put it together should be very ashamed. I am ashamed for them! And I am also with you on the Fergie thing. They sounded awful...they looked even worse.

I do enjoy the commercials, but again, with the hype.

The whole thing just irritates me.

Posted by: Jen at February 7, 2011 8:21 AM

We record the game, start watching about an hour in, fast forward through the football and watch the commercials. We are not Football people. Favorite commercials - Darth Vadar and the Coke Dragon Siege.

Posted by: Meredith at February 7, 2011 8:28 AM

OK I did not think the halftime show was as bad as recent years. It would have been nice if better football had been played but overall not terrible. I did love the commercials. Rosanne getting it in the Snickers commercial was a favorite at my house.

Posted by: goodsnake at February 7, 2011 8:34 AM

You must have missed Christina Aguilera's massacre of the National Anthem. I was watching and I looked at Hubby and said, "Did she just rewrite that song?"
Actually, the game was interesting. I did not want Ben Rothlisberger to win because he is a pig. Sort of a semi sober Charlie Sheen. But, a pig nonetheless.

Posted by: Maribeth at February 7, 2011 8:42 AM

I'm pretty sure I care about sports even less than you do, Chris. I was in the room while the mister watched the game. I'm usually interested in the commercials, but they were pretty "blah" this year.

Posted by: Fraulein N at February 7, 2011 8:57 AM

It was actually a very entertaining football game. But the hype surrounding the game and the crass commercialism surrounding everything associated with it has turned the Super Bowl into a caricature of itself.

I thought the Eminem ad for Chrysler (the real Eminem, not the animated one) was very well done. And the 2011 VW Bug ad was good too.

Posted by: COD at February 7, 2011 9:08 AM

The half-time show problem was the sound. There were several points where you could hear it via the camera that was close, but the sound was not on.

Working with crappy sound in a ROARING stadium is impossible. I don't blame the Black Eyed Peas. I've seen them live before. They really don't suck that bad.

As for the National Anthem...she didn't stop because she forgot the words. She inadvertently repeated a line. I've done the same thing when performing it live.

It's nerves. It happens. You get caught up in the moment and your brain auto pilots...

As for the game...uhm...there was football in between the commercials????

I've been unable to see Super Bowl commercials for 6 years. They were ALL awesome to me. :)

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at February 7, 2011 9:36 AM

I thought it was a great game and loved the whole production ( even though my team did lose! :( )

I also was raised with no football, and had minimal interest or respect for the game; and I still don't have anything to say when the sports talk come out. But a couple of years ago a friend gave me a play by play breakdown of a Gators vs somebody game, and equated it to something that I do enjoy: strategy games. And once I could start to see the game within the spectacle, I'll admit I was hooked. And looking at it that way, the game was a great one.

And I'm an absolute sucker for the nostalgia / patriotism; Truly was riveted during the reading of the Declaration of Independence, and Martin Sheen's opening monologue. A part of me knows how sappy it is, but I can't help but get lost in it, and I'll admit it refreshes my patriotic spirit.

And I think my favorite commercial was with the car that kept getting stolen by one mythic figure after another; when it got sucked through a portal into the Mayan plaza, I was just rolling. :)

Posted by: metawizard2 at February 7, 2011 9:53 AM

We don't watch football but I always watch the Superbowl - something about fun commercials and lots of junk food ;). I HATED the halftime show! I'm a bit of a music snob, only in that I want someone to sing ON KEY if they're going to sing on stage. The peas were nothing more than autotune robots. And Fergie doing GNR?! NO! Just NO!

Posted by: Randi at February 7, 2011 10:34 AM

I LOVE football. I understand others don't, and that's okay. I thought it was a very good game. Of course, the outcome was what I wished for...not that I rooted for the Packers, but rather, for #7 to lose!

The commercials...eh...Darth Vader rocked and I liked the Pepsi Max, but other than that, nothing rocked my socks off!

The sound sucked, but I like the Peas. I thought the show was entertaining...one thing we tend to forget is those stadium spectacles are just that, for the stadium... they don't translate well on TV. Then again, I think it's the same as football - you either like it or you don't and if you don't, watching a game, even the superbowl, is gonna suck. If you don't like the Peas, you aren't going to dig the halftime show.

To each his (or her) own...I enjoyed the evening - we spent it with friends. I am in mourning today...no football until September (hopefully!)

Posted by: cyndy at February 7, 2011 11:33 AM

You're almost there. Come to the dark side where we don't check out CNN sports or watch the Superbowl. I went to the movies and enjoyed a nearly empty theater!

Posted by: James Proffitt at February 7, 2011 11:43 AM

Poor Slash, reduced to a karaoke gig *sigh*

Posted by: LaineyDid at February 7, 2011 11:56 AM

Love football. I hated the half-time show. My 15 year old loved it, but I feel it was the light thing mostly that he enjoyed. Awful didn't begin to cut it for me. Costumes and everything, I was let it end already.

Favorites were Darth Vader, Snickers and Doritos. I thought using Joan Rivers was quite amusing with the Daddy whatever commercials.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 7, 2011 11:58 AM

May I say that I am a woman AND:

1) I root for the Steelers as a team. I don't like Ben, he's a douche. I love the team. The terrible towel proceeds go to help intellectually challenged adult and youth programs. Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward, and others do great things every day. For example, Ward breaking down barriers in Korea. Kind of a huge deal, folks. The legacy of the team is being tarnished by Ben, and if he took a year off without pay and ACTUALLY was contrite, I think it'd go a long way. My friends and I joked that if he sacrificed his life for Polamalu in an "either Ben or Troy will live" situation, that would seal the deal.

2) Being someone who lived in Pittsburgh, here's something you'll never know because Pittsburghers (Yinzers) don't brag: BOTH Christina Aguilera and the Steelers give a LOT of time and money to a local women's shelter (and have for years). Ms. Aguilera donates EVERY item of clothing she has worn because that shelter housed her mother and her when she was a child. The Steelers spend time with the people in that shelter because they have a commitment to the community. I know all this because I also volunteered at this location and didn't know any of this until I looked at the pictures on the walls and was sorting the clothing and saw VERY tiny shoes.

3) I like sports. I like that football players have to go to college before going pro. I wish they had stricter standards, but that's the colleges, and I don't watch college football.

4) I hate that Chrysler took a huge bailout and hasn't paid it back, but gave Eminem money instead.

5) We had a party and played "what could make this halftime show worse?" R. Kelly, Barney and Friends, and the winner: the cast of the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: alektra at February 7, 2011 11:59 AM

I LOVE the annual Super Bowl Party we go to! And yesterday was no exception. Tons of good food, good friends, good drinks, prizes, and oh - I guess there was some football game on, too. If you're into that sorta thing. I was happy the Steelers lost - but - must admit I watched perhaps 30 seconds of the entire game.

Posted by: Mindy at February 7, 2011 12:03 PM

Slept through first half - watched the second. I'm much more into baseball but I keep up with the NFL enough to know what's going on and I do watch the Niner and Saints games.

The game was better than many I've seen and my team of the moment won. Didn't want Steelers to win their 7th - it would put them two ahead of San Francisco instead of one. We might catch up (and pigs might fly).

I went back and fast forwarded through the first half to check the pre-game, the commercials, and half-time.

National anthem? What's wrong with singing it as written? I could forgive her blowing the line - it happens - but I don't like it messed with, no matter how talented the performer.

Commercials - Budweiser messed up. I wait every year to see what the Clydesdales will do next and they didn't do a thing except pull the stagecoach. To me it was boring. Bring back the horses and their buddies.

Loved the Doritos though.

Half time - not my kind of music so I couldn't tell you if they were good or bad.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at February 7, 2011 12:06 PM

Yeah, really, really don't care :P The only sport I find remotely interesting to watch is hockey. (And that might be a little influenced by the fact that my team is at the top of the standings in the entire league. We're #1! W00t! *ahem*)
My grandfather had the game on, so I actually watched more of this Superbowl than I would've normally, but I don't even really understand the rules.

Posted by: Heather at February 7, 2011 1:09 PM

It was 3/4 of the way over before I remembered it was on. I got lucky in that the only half-time show I've ever seen was Janet's Niptacular.

Posted by: seekingelevation at February 7, 2011 2:13 PM

We watched and enjoyed the game. Especially the winning part. I look forward to the Super Bowl game every year, and also our traditions of the Super Bowl game.

Posted by: cassie-b at February 7, 2011 2:50 PM

I watch for the game and the commercials. My kids enjoy the half-time show because children love pretty lights and repetition and the BEP deliver that in large quantities.

I honestly don't feel the need to shit on it like everyone on the Internet does. I liked the game, the team I liked the most won, and at least two of the commercials made me laugh. Given the option between Super Bowl tickets and tickets to just about any other cool national event, I'd choose the latter, but it's still a fun way to spend a Sunday evening in my living room.

Posted by: Brad at February 7, 2011 3:32 PM

Mon WebMate amicale m'a conseillé de ReadThis blog. Il a dit qu'il offre une bonne ingormation dont j'ai besoin.sdfghfdsasdf

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 4:09 AM