March 1, 2011

The Kids Stay in The Picture

On Sunday night before the short people went to bed, I grabbed a copy of the Oscar nominations, a pen and a piece of paper. I quizzed the kids on their picks. Here's what they came up with.

Best Picture

Owen: Emperor Palpatine
Winner: The King's Speech

Original Song
Mia: Tangled
Owen: Toy Story
Winner: Toy Story

Mia did pretty well. Owen was really only successful when his picks somehow coincided with his deep and abiding love of Toy Story (which was twice) and Star Wars (which was, sadly, made in 1977). Nevertheless, my kids share our love of movies. In fact, the four of us went to see a movie this weekend. Gnomeo & Juliet. It was...well...the kids liked it. So much that Owen didn't want to leave the movie theater. When we told him we were going home, he sobbed uncontrollably. Making our way out of the ginormous theater complex we got some odd looks. We just said that Black Swan really wasn't his thing.

Did you watch the Oscars? Did you care?

Posted by Chris at March 1, 2011 7:44 AM
Comments

Yes, I did watch, and I guess I did care. Colin Firth is my make believe boyfriend, and so I was really hoping for his win.

Posted by: Maribeth at March 1, 2011 8:02 AM

Totally not on my radar, but Toy Story 3 does rock. Still get choked up every time they accept their fate.

Posted by: metawizard2 at March 1, 2011 8:06 AM

I've watched in the past, but its been years since I've seen any of the nominated movies the same year they came out. I always check the list of winners in the paper the next day though, since its inevitable that "2011 Best Movie Winner" will come up as a crossword puzzle clue at some point, and I'll be stuck trying to stretch "Toy Story 3" across 14 boxes.

Posted by: J at March 1, 2011 8:43 AM

Didn't watch a minute of it.

Posted by: COD at March 1, 2011 8:53 AM

I don't watch award shows for the same reason I don't watch political speeches - I can get the important points much quicker the next day. The only thing I cared about was the animated film category and my pick (How to Train Your Dragon) lost :(

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 1, 2011 8:58 AM

I watch every single year, though I'm at a loss to explain why I care.

Posted by: Martin at March 1, 2011 9:25 AM

What is it I find so compelling about train wrecks? I didn't want to watch the Oscars, but a friend of mine was nominated for best editor (Black Swan). He lost to Social Network. My wife went to bed and I wanted to turn it off, but it was such a disaster that I stayed till the bitter end, rattling off a stream of tweets about it, because, really, why waste just my time when I can waste yours too?

I did walk away happy with most of the winners -- King's Speech, Christian Bale, Melissa Leo, Colin Firth. Was rooting for Annette Benning, but more for lifetime achievement then that one film. Worst acting of the night went to James Franco for trying to act like he wasn't stoned out of his gourd.

Like I said, I'm drawn to train wrecks. So yes, I'll be watching the Charlie Sheen interview tonight on 20/20.

Posted by: Marshall Karp at March 1, 2011 9:25 AM

I never watch award shows. I would rather watch paint dry. It's just about as interesting.

Posted by: Lisa at March 1, 2011 9:39 AM

I look forward to the Academy Awards every year, whether I have seen any of the films or not. This year I saw three of the best picture nominees. The production value of this year's show was a little disappointing. Ann Hathaway did an okay job. The Kirk Douglas segment was uncomfortable, even though he was pretty funny.

I enjoy seeing the fashions, and last night's Fashion Police was hi-lar-i-ous.

Posted by: Pat at March 1, 2011 9:45 AM

(And I still can't believe Marshall Karp comments on your blog. You rock, dude!)

Posted by: Pat at March 1, 2011 9:47 AM

I couldn't find any way to watch the actual programme (none of the "outside US" streaming things worked and I don't have cable, the only place it was being shown on French TV), but I did sort of follow Twitter and the MamaPop open thread, which were hilarious.
I'd actually seen 2 of the Best Film nominees, and loved them both. I was very glad The King's Speech did so well: the film made me laugh (much more than I thought it would), cry (a lot) and feel uncharacteristically proud to be British! I also found Colin Firth's acceptance speech (which I watched yesterday) absolutely adorable. The only downer was that HBC didn't win Best Suppporting Actress - I've loved her since A Room with a View back in the 1980s and think she's greatly under-rated. I think she's fabulous (and extremely beautiful under all the whackiness!). I was also good friends with her cousin Crispin at university - we both worked in the uni's theatre group and had a ball. He was great fun and spoke very highly of her...
I was also glad Toy Story 3 won Best Animated Film.
I'm not sure why I love award shows so much - I stay up all night "watching" them (the Oscars didn't start till 2 am here, I didn't get to bed till 7.30...) and love the snarky red carpet fashion comments. The Oscars was tough because I couldn't actually see the dresses till the next day (hated Cate Blanchett's thing, even though it was very different to what I was imagining from Twitter comments), but for sheer fun I think the Grammys were the best.
I love films and one of the only good things to come out of being separated is that I now have time (when the girls are with their father) to go and see "films for grown-ups". As a result, I've seen Hereafter, The King's Speech, The Tourist and have Black Swan, 127 hours, The Fighter etc. on my list (The Fighter isn't out here yet, the other two have only been out for a couple of weeks at most).
Sorry for the saga-like comment...

Posted by: Kirsty at March 1, 2011 11:15 AM

LMAO about the Black Swan thing.

You didn't like Gnomeo and Juliet? Dude, I laughed out loud. I mean, it's not my FAVORITE Disney/Pixar flick (See: Toy Story 1-3), but I thought it had some hilarious moments.

I hate awards shows. I never watch them. Unless I have to. Because one of my kids is a Belieber and I had to watch the Grammys so she could see Justin perform.

Posted by: Brooke at March 1, 2011 11:55 AM

I watched from beginning to end and most of my choices (based on reviews) won. The only one I'd seen was Toy Story 3 (which we liked) but I've added all of them except for 127 Hours to my Netflix list so I'll get to them eventually.

We're in CA so time isn't a problem. I liked the program - knew next to nothing about Franco to begin with so he could have been stoned and I wouldn't have noticed. I'm old enough to be thrilled by Kirk Douglas and his recovery.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at March 1, 2011 12:03 PM

The only movies I saw that were up for any awards were How To Train Your Dragon (which I can quote, and love, and being with a Norwegian man - I CAN SO IDENTIFY), Alice In Wonderland and Inception.

I didn't watch the Oscars, and when I read the recap and checked out the lovely women in their gowns yesterday, I said "who is that?" to move than 75%.

I'm so out of touch.

I rather like it this way.

Posted by: Mindy at March 1, 2011 12:48 PM

Only caught the last 15 minutes. Late dinner out. Normally, I watch despite the fact that we've rarely seen many of the movies by the time this rolls around. At least Owen is little. Harley had a bad habit of sobbing during anything sad. Big, ole ugly can't stop crying. It finally stopped a few years ago and I don't have to fret at the movies with him anymore.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at March 1, 2011 2:54 PM

>>We just said that Black Swan really wasn't his thing.

My eyes are tearing up.

I liked Ann Hathoway enjoying her spangly dress the way I would have. Didn't see the whole thing, just bits.

Posted by: alektra at March 1, 2011 4:03 PM

I'm not sure Black Swan would be my thing either ;-) That's why I haven't watched it yet. Also, I enjoyed their predictions far more than anyone else's!

Posted by: Heather at March 1, 2011 4:34 PM

Not to be nitpicky - or, well, maybe a little - but The Social Network won Best Original Score, not The King's Speech. Trent Reznor!

And I always find myself watching the Oscars. I enjoy the categorization of things I like into good, better, and best, even though it's all a construction.

Posted by: Maia at March 1, 2011 7:34 PM

My kids got their report cards yesterday. My grade 3's teacher wrote on her assessment "[she] is very popular because of her outgoing personality, her sense of humour and her love of everything Star Wars".

It made it to her fucking report card. I haven't decided if I'm proud or ashamed. Leaning heavily toward proud.

Posted by: harmzie at March 2, 2011 11:24 AM

(oh, and I didn't watch. I haven't since I was a teenager, which is odd, because I kind of care)

Posted by: harmzie at March 2, 2011 11:26 AM

I mostly agree with Owen:)

Posted by: Leilani at March 3, 2011 2:35 PM

I have not seen "The king's speech" movie. The book has been read. I think a very good book. The film is no longer dare to look at the books because they are always compared to spoil. Left out or add things that are not beneficial. www.konyv-konyvek.hu/book_images/51a/999640951a.jpg

Posted by: P4p3rDr4g0n at March 4, 2011 5:16 AM