March 2, 2011

The Revolution Will Be Socialized

I have, in recent weeks, enjoyed watching authoritarian - or just plain mean - regimes throughout the world begin to crumble under the weight of their own tyranny or ineptitude. And while it's fun to watch scared dictators flee to Middle Eastern resorts, its awe-inspiring to see the significant part that social media and the internet in general played in their downfall.

Egypt fell and ignited protests in Algeria, Bahrain, Iran, Jordan, Morocco, Sudan, Syria and Tunisia. And right now the people of Libya are trying to wrestle control of their country from the delusional Moammar Gadhafi. And in all of these revolutions, social media is playing a prominent role.

And all of this talk about how important social networking is makes me feel mildly guilty. Instead of doing anything revolutionary or important, I say shit like this:

fbcaulk.jpg

I'm a moron. Anyone want to go liberate Lithuania or something?

Posted by Chris at March 2, 2011 6:47 AM
Comments

That is a first world problem, no doubt. On the bright side, having first world problems is something that people in those countries are fighting for.

There is a sub-genre of rap called Nerdcore, which has MC Frontalot singing 'First World Problem'; it's worth tracking down for the perspective. ;)

Posted by: metawizard2 at March 2, 2011 8:20 AM

But, but, but.... you got to say "whip out my caulk".

That's some funny shite there.

Posted by: Jen, now in AZ at March 2, 2011 10:27 AM

If we can't maintain a sense of humour, then the terrorists have won.

I think metawizar2's comment is jee-nee-us. Well, the first one. I'll have to check out Nerdcore before I pass judgement one way or the other ;-) I already like the name.

Posted by: harmzie at March 2, 2011 11:35 AM

Sorry but you got it wrong... it started with Tunisia, then Egypt. Don't know if you are aware of this, but it caused the fall of our minister of foreign affairs (pauvre France !)

Posted by: viviane at March 2, 2011 12:15 PM

It's nice though when we're overwhelmed with all the bad news and violence, to see a bit of silly, and roll my eyes and laugh at you ;)

Posted by: Heather E Pollock at March 2, 2011 12:43 PM

I need the laugh. I make no apologies for that.

Posted by: Mindy at March 2, 2011 12:56 PM

I love your tweet. However, the revolution started in Tunisia. It's amazing how brave and principled these protesters are:

Posted by: Laura Gato at March 2, 2011 8:24 PM

They're fighting to have our problems. Having these problems gives them something to aspire to. You are keeping hope alive!

Posted by: alektra at March 3, 2011 12:33 AM

Chris, sometimes funny is good. There are a lot of profound things going on right now, but it's still funny when you post about whipping your caulk out, or when I wake up in the morning to find my 3-year-old son has tried to make cake and has opened two or three boxes of mix, successfully breached one, is covered in said mix, scissors are all over the floor, and the kid is looking for the light switch. Sometimes you just gotta say, What the fuck.

Posted by: Brooke at March 3, 2011 11:52 AM