April 11, 2011

Outback

Between the two of us, Beth and I have gotten like 10 hours of sleep in the last 72 hours. There's been a lot of coughing, whining, nose blowing and snot largely due to the pneumonia Mia is finally shaking and the cold Owen has seemed to pick up.

Suffice it to say it's been a long few days.

Because they are saint-like, my parents agreed to come over and take care of two recovering, grumpy kids on Saturday night. Beth and I had a command performance - a party with very old friends of Beth's family who have gotten together for years to celebrate life changing events like engagements, deaths and births. Under the assumption that being together outside the house would somehow improve our sanity, we left for the party way before we needed to. We did what any sensible people would do - we pulled into the nearest place with a bar. It happened to be Outback which initially sounded like a terrible idea (because, you know, we're vegetarians and we hate the fake Australian accent laden Outback ads and make fun of them whenever we see them on TV) but turned out to be genius because we got one of those big-ass fried onions the size of my head which happened to be the most perfect thing we could have put into our bodies. Besides alcohol. Then we went to the party and worried about the kids. Or, honestly, how they were abusing our parents.

When we extracted ourselves from the party after conversations about balls and how ineffective Toms Of Maine's deodorant is we returned home and all was well. Of course both kids woke up almost immediately after my parents left and discovered a host of things wrong with themselves and the universe around them which would keep them up all night. But by that point we had a little more tolerance for it since we'd interacted with other adults, consumed a few beers and eaten an onion the size of a small child.

And how were your weekends?

Posted by Chris at April 11, 2011 7:05 AM
Comments

We had gorgeous weather this weekend so my overall outlook has improved immensely! The only thing wrong with this weekend was its brevity.

Hope your kids get well soon!

Posted by: Elizabeth at April 11, 2011 7:54 AM

My wife and daughter were out of town at the 4-H State Equine Academic Competition, so it boys weekend out, expect that rain on Friday wiped out our Sat hiking plans. So instead we watched 4 movies, combining both classics and stupid comedies each night. Friday was Casablanca and Back to School, and Saturday night was The Sting and The Naked Gun.

Oh, and my daughter kicked ass at the competition and was named to the state horse judging team. I'll bet you didn't even know Virginia had a state horse judging team :)

Posted by: COD at April 11, 2011 9:05 AM

Tom's of Maine gives me a rash.

Bloomin' onions are indeed wonderful.

I worked all weekend. I even put together a man-party for the Boy (bad movies, good beer, good food) on Saturday night so I could work more. I don't know if I got what I wanted, but it was entertaining to see the Boy so tipsy and happy. Until he broke his toe trying to get into bed.

See you soon?

Posted by: alektra at April 11, 2011 9:44 AM

Mine was VERY busy. On Saturday I actually had a little too much red wine, which woke me at 3 AM to get an aspirin and a large coke to kick the headache I felt coming on. Then on Sunday, since I woke with no headache, I went down to see my daughter and shop with her!
Last night I hit my bed nice and early!
All and all, a good weekend!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 11, 2011 10:28 AM

Lovely for the most part. Son Jim got an unexpected R & R leave from Iraq (transportation paid by Army and not charged to his leave time) and showed up at my doorstep on Friday. Next day I answered the door and there were son Tim and hubby who had driven in from Anaheim to surprise me. They succeeded. We didn't have a lot of time but managed to all get out for lunch together.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at April 11, 2011 11:36 AM

Adult interaction is good :) That friend onion thing sounds revolting, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Posted by: Heather at April 11, 2011 12:59 PM

I went to Chicago for the weekend to hang out with friends and total strangers. It was totally fun except the part where *I* came down with something. Now I'm sick.
BOO.