April 4, 2011

Prized Possessions

Neither of my kids are thing kids. By that I mean that while each of them have possessions they like, they aren't attached to too much. The exceptions to the rule are Dreamzy and Puppy.

Dreamzy is a bear. At least we think she's a bear. It's hard to tell and Dreamzy isn't talking. She's white, covered in red hearts and doesn't have a very pronounced head or limbs. Dreamzy was given to Mia just before Owen was born. The first - and only - night Dreamzy has spent apart from Mia since was when she was left with Beth overnight in the hospital on the second night after Owen came into the world. Since then, Dreamzy has been to several states, stowed away in Mia's school backpack, been thrown up on, washed, thrown up on again, washed again, and instantly missed in whatever brief absence has temporarily existed.

Puppy is, unsurprisingly, a nine-inch high gray and white terrier. He was actually a gift from my grandmother to Mia, came in a little red purse and everything, but was latched onto by Owen early in his life when discovered in a box of toys. Owen's love for puppy might not be as deep or strong as Mia's for Dreamzy but nine out of ten nights, Puppy can be found in the crook of Owen's arm.

Mia and Owen aren't setting any precedent. When I was a kid, I had Panda. My mom discovered Panda in a fabric shop. He was a pattern, two sheets of fabric with the design already drawn on. My mom - a sewer in her day - cut him out, stuffed him and sewed him together. Panda went everywhere. And, out of an abundance of caution, there were a number of Pandas. In fact I still have a Panda.

What was your most prized possession when you were a kid?

Posted by Chris at April 4, 2011 7:07 AM
Comments

I had a Siamese cat. A real one, that I dressed up, that went every where with me, and slept with me until he passed when I was a teenager. The cat was like 18 when he died. He was amazing!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 4, 2011 7:55 AM

I didn't have a prized possession like this that I can recall. But my almost-13 year old daughter had Bear from the time she was 6 months old. He was "Bear" from the Disney Channel show "Bear in the Big Blue House." He went to various states, two hospitals, and was puked on and washed many times as well.

He had a doppleganger ("Spare Bear" was his name), just in case we ever lost him. Heck, we even had a 3rd bear in reserve at Grandma's house. Original Bear was once left on a chair at an airport, and waas still there when we realized he was missing.

Though almost a teen, my daughter still occasionally sleeps with Original Bear. Dang, they grow up too darn fast.

Posted by: TeresaLynn at April 4, 2011 8:23 AM

I blanket called BOPPY. It had bears rollerskating on it that were embroidered by my grandmother. It had a silk band around it that I wore off as it went through my hands as I sucked my two fingers. I still have it in a drawer somewhere.
My son had a blanket called BAABAA. People always thought he wanted a bottle but it was his blanket. His was knitted and he had this weird think he did while sucking his thumb with it. One hand had his thumb in his mouth and the other would move the blanket up and then back down again - it was the smell of it I guess. BUT if he didn't have his blanket he didn't suck his thumb which was an awesome way to get him to stop! BAABAA is still with him but he doesn't suck his thumb anymore!

Posted by: NancyB at April 4, 2011 8:31 AM

My baseball card collection. I started collecting at around age 8 and stopped at about 13.

BTW, I still have all those cards. They are in boxes in the closet.

Posted by: COD at April 4, 2011 8:36 AM

Mrs. Beasly. She was with me from the about 3 to almost 18. Something spilled on her and she fell apart when I washed her. I cried for weeks. I really miss her. I told her all my secrets.

Posted by: Marla Mentzer at April 4, 2011 9:08 AM

I had a Blanky, the blanket. It was the softest thing I've ever touched.

My girl has Willona, the Beagle. He's been with us 7+ years now and is still the favorite. We had a scare a few years ago when Willona was left at Target but luckily someoene turned her in so when we went rushing back to the store she was waiting for us. My boy rotates his favorite but usually has something tagging along.

Posted by: Brad at April 4, 2011 9:12 AM

I still have my first teddy bear...whom I named Theodore. Theodore Edward Bear. Yeah, that's right, I'm awesome. I only stopped sleeping with it a few years ago, and moved on to hugging a pillow instead :P

Posted by: Heather at April 4, 2011 9:16 AM

I had a monkey called Annie (before Smooth Criminal...). Throughout his life he (in my head he was male) started to look more and more like a giraffe. Every time he got repaired his neck got longer for some reason. I am sure he is still around somewhere, but after my last move, no idea where exactly.

Posted by: mikkie at April 4, 2011 10:06 AM

I had Ducky Blanket, a scratch green army blanket my mom recovered in a white fabric with little ducks over it. And, although I am 31 years old, Ducky is in our linen closet and I pull him out on really cold nights and when my husband is away overnight. Because I am 5. (When I was going to college, my mom kept trying to take Ducky out of my suitcase and I kept putting it back in. Even now, when she comes to visit, she rolls her eyes at Ducky.)

Posted by: NGS at April 4, 2011 10:16 AM

I love that there were an abundance of Pandas - probably made your parents' lives a little easier if Panda got lost/damaged beyond repair. (I grew up in a fabric store during that era, so it was also a great flashback to be reminded of those two-sided animal/doll things.) Anyway, I had Tinker the bear - he was given to my parents while my mom was still pregnant. He still resides on a prominent shelf in my closet to this day.

Posted by: Heather at April 4, 2011 10:59 AM

A stuffed yellow dog I named barkley (after the dog on Sesame Street) that my grandparents gave me when I was 1. I still have her. My grandparents also gave my cousin the same dog, but she didn't get attached like I did. I got her 'barkley' from her a few years ago. It's now sitting in the nursery, waiting for my daughter to be born any day now.

Posted by: Michelle at April 4, 2011 11:41 AM

Yellow Bear. Who is a yellow bear. My oldest now guards it for me.
Edie has lambey - in fact she has three. Each year a new one is presented because "the soft" wears off and she needs "the soft" to fall asleep.

Posted by: meanie at April 4, 2011 11:51 AM

Tedrew, a teddy bear. Named for a custard place in St. Louis. He received my only foray into sewing clothes.

Posted by: alektra at April 4, 2011 12:50 PM

My rabbit, Baby Noun. So named because I thought she was a baby, and when I asked what a rabbit was some smart arse said 'a noun'. No idea who gave her to me but she's still with me. Her husband, the bizarrely named Sarah Willie, didn't survive a house move back in the 80s. Took me a few months to realise that he'd gone.

Posted by: Katherine at April 4, 2011 1:28 PM

My mom was a talented seamstress (no, I didn't inherit that particular skill but I'm a better cook). She made my brother and me Raggedy Andy and Ann dolls. We both treasured them for years.

It wasn't until I was grown with kids of my own that I realized she was replacing them as they wore out - probably staying up late at night to sew another.

Next to that, my very own portable radio when I was a tween and teen.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at April 4, 2011 3:17 PM

I had a stuffed koala that my aunt bought me, named Koalie. She purchased him for me when I was 2 and wouldn't let him go in the store. For my 18th birthday, she paid to have him custom drawn and tattooed on my back. Best. Gift. Ever.

Posted by: Michele at April 4, 2011 7:20 PM

I had a stuffed koala named Koalie. My aunt bought him when I was 2 and wouldn't let him go in the store. For my 18th birthday, she paid to have him custom drawn and tattooed on my shoulder. Best. Gift. Ever.

Posted by: michele at April 4, 2011 7:21 PM

I had Marvin, a blue stuffed bear. I got him when I was 4 and shopping with my mother at the huge downtown Woodward and Lothrop store. I still have him, although he's in need of re-stuffing. (BTW, I'm almost 60.)

Posted by: Bozoette Mary at April 5, 2011 6:54 AM

I had a succession of Raggedy Ann dolls, some purchased and some made by my mom. when I was in high school or college, I found the spare one that was kept at my grandparents' house and I still have it on a shelf. I haven't seen a Raggedy Ann doll in the stores for years, but I knit one when my cousin's daughter was born, complete the the embroidered red heart.

Posted by: MamaKaren at April 5, 2011 1:45 PM

I, personally didn't have a "security" that I am aware of. My four year old daughter, on the other hand...has "Yellow" Yellow, is a blanket she has had since she was a bean in my belly. Yellow, even has a gender, and if you were to drop by in the middle of a "Yellow" conversation, you would assume we were talking about a relative or even a pet. God FORBID he gets left somewhere or, worse, gets lost.
I, being the genius I (think I) am, decided last Christmas to buy a NEW blanket in hopes of rescuing Yellow for the keepsakes box. This blanket, is now known as, "Princess".

And yes, she and Yellow seem to be best of friends, and will probably get married one day.

Posted by: Beth at April 5, 2011 6:27 PM

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Sending nice thoughts your way.

Posted by: Caleb Gardner at April 7, 2011 12:41 PM