April 1, 2011

The Weeklies #169

The Weekly Donation. Remember that thing I did a while ago, collecting comments for donations? I'd like to the post itself but it's gone due to all that hacking that happened. But I wanted to share the total. Due to your awesomeness and much matching (thanks Brooke!) you guys raised $270. That's amazing. You rock.

The Weekly Time Waster. Interlocked

The Weekly Computer Annoyance. The K key on one of my laptops works about half the time. Fuc!

The Weekly Read. This truly exemplifies the kind of week I've had - I don't remember what I've read. I'm in the process of finishing a book right now but I have no clue if I actually finished anything else during the course of the week. It's been quite a week, folks.

The Weekly Music. I had a dream about the band Marillion. They're a band I've always loved but I loaded up their stuff on my iPod and hit shuffle and it's some really good stuff. Their latest - Happiness Is The Road - is highly recommended.

The Weekly Movie. Conviction. I wasn't really all that interested but it turned out to be a damn fine movie and a really interesting story.

The Weekly Sheenfreude. You know Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa? Two years in a row, she's turned a Make A Wish kid down who only wanted to hang out with her and cook. The reason? Too busy. Garten got called on it then relented. Much to my amusement, the kid wasn't interested in hanging with her anymore. Instead she'd rather swim with dolphins. Good call.

The Weekly Question. If money was no object and you could get on a plane right now, where would you go?

Posted by Chris at April 1, 2011 7:00 AM
Comments

The Bahamas, Atlantis. Never been but would sure like to.

I have always disliked Ina Garten. She is a snooty biotch who only hangs out with gay men. We had a term for fat girls like her in high school but its politically incorrect. Doesn't surprise me at all that she would be that selfish.

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: Debbie at April 1, 2011 8:14 AM

I would go somewhere warm where spring actually arrives on time! It's snowing as I type this >:(

Posted by: Elizabeth at April 1, 2011 8:26 AM

Australia.
I've always wanted to go, and have always regretted not going before I had kids. Not that I had a lot of money then, but I had MORE than I have now!

Posted by: Kim at April 1, 2011 9:00 AM

London!

I love that Ina Garten got exposed as a bitch. I can't fucking stand her. Even a minute of watching her show or looking at her smug-ass face is torture.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 1, 2011 9:07 AM

The Caribbean -- someplace with white beaches and blue water so clear you can see the ocean floor.

Posted by: Emily at April 1, 2011 9:12 AM

I would go home. My dad just had total knee replacement surgery and due to work, I was not able to be there. :(

Posted by: Elizabeth at April 1, 2011 9:16 AM

Yea, Conviction. My husband was on the crew of that movie, which shot in Michigan.

Posted by: Dawn at April 1, 2011 9:20 AM

I'd grab the golf clubs and head back over to Scotland. The gorse is getting ready to bloom, which turns entire fields a bright yellow that contrasts with the green surrounding it. It's just a generally amazing place to be in the Spring.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 1, 2011 9:40 AM

Any place warm. I hate cold weather and snow. UGH!!!

Posted by: Marla Mentzer at April 1, 2011 9:49 AM

I've already got a vacation planned for May, so I'd rent the time travel airplane and fly back in time to January - April 2009 (happiest time/best relationship of my life).

Posted by: Maggie at April 1, 2011 9:54 AM

Hmm I think I would fly to Paris - first class of course heh. Also, I've thought Conviction looked good, but a tad too serious for my current state of mind. (Which is slightly overwhelmed; it took me three tries just to type my comment correctly, and I'm still not entirely sure I got it right :P )

Posted by: Heather at April 1, 2011 10:04 AM

To London to see the babies I've never met, then on to Anchorage to visit with my nephews, Australia, New Zealand and then a month or so in Hawaii. Hey--you said money was no object, right? :)

Posted by: bacioni at April 1, 2011 10:28 AM

Someplace (anyplace) where its over 75 degrees, sunny and has an awesome beach!! I've had it with cold, wet weather!!

Posted by: 3jaysmom at April 1, 2011 10:37 AM

Fiji.

Posted by: Brad at April 1, 2011 10:41 AM

New Zealand.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at April 1, 2011 10:45 AM

Funny about your keyboard. I'm having problems with the "U" key on my keyboard. Fck too! I'd go to Muro Lucano/Potenza area of Italy. I'm dying to see where my family is from.

Posted by: pinetree22 at April 1, 2011 10:53 AM

Thanks again for the donation thing; I really admire people who can make those kinda things happen. And if money were no object, I would actually go right back to the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu and get myself a hot stone massage in their spa because that was one of the highlights of my life.

Posted by: Claire at April 1, 2011 10:54 AM

Wow. The Ina Garten thing really bothers me. I always liked her. Meh.

If I could get on a plane RIGHT now and go anywhere? Woo. The Maldives or Bora Bora. *sigh*

Posted by: Jen at April 1, 2011 11:42 AM

And I can see I am alone with Ina thing. Ouch. LOL.
Us fat chicks can't win I tell yah. We are either losers or too snooty. Pfft.

Posted by: Jen at April 1, 2011 11:44 AM

I spent a day (as a reporter covering it) with a 5 or 6-year-old Make a Wish kid a bunch of years ago. His wish? He wanted to be a Marine. He became the 12th or 13th person to be granted the title "Honorary Marine" by the Commandant. The grown-up Marines at Camp Lejeune spoiled that kid silly: All kinds of SWAG, a ride in a M1 tank, a helo and an amphibious assault vehicle. Can't believe some chef can't find the time.

As Buffett said, "I gotta fly to St. Somewhere..."

Posted by: Foggy Dew at April 1, 2011 2:10 PM

Barbados. Then I'd lie on the sandy beach and bask in the sun! Ahhhhhhhhh!
PS: Have always thought Ina Garten was a phony!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 1, 2011 3:16 PM

Phuket (k and u keys both working!). Provided that the plane flight was also, magically, less than 4 hours long.

Posted by: Laura Gato at April 1, 2011 4:27 PM

I would go just about anywhere. But probably Australia or Russia. Or maybe Paris. Or Ireland. Heck, I'd go anywhere.

Posted by: Melissa at April 1, 2011 6:59 PM

I would fly to New Orleans. I have always wanted to visit the city, for obvious reasons. It's also w/in flying distance (and driving, w/in reason) to Memphis TN where I could visit Graceland. It's a win win.

Posted by: Patti at April 1, 2011 8:09 PM

Icehotel in Sweden. It's the only thing on my 'bucket list'.

Posted by: mmpotter at April 1, 2011 9:48 PM

Wow - I'd forgotten all about Marillion; they were one of my "go-to" cassettes (cassettes!) when I was a student waaaaaaay back when...
If I could get on a plane? Hmmm, that's tough. It's really pretty nice here right now (74 degrees and sunny today, wisteria and lilac in full bloom on my balcony...), so weather's not a priority. In which case, I'd pretty boringly (given that it's a) not very far away b) my home city and c) not at all exotic) go to London, I think, so I could go and hang out with my 3 best friends ever (whom I only see for about 3 days each, once a year).

Posted by: Kirsty at April 1, 2011 11:26 PM

I'd like to Greece please.

Posted by: Carey at April 2, 2011 1:17 AM

Actually, that should say that I would like to GO to Greece please.

Posted by: Carey at April 2, 2011 1:18 AM

assettes (cassettes!) when I was a student waaaaaaay back when...

Posted by: Balmain sale at November 24, 2011 1:07 AM