April 8, 2011

The Weeklies #170

The Weekly Most Informative Website (Besides Mine). isthegovernmentshutdown.com.

The Weekly Affliction. I'm going with pneumonia.

The Weekly Read. I mentioned earlier this week that I'd finished Tony Wheeler's Badlands (which was an excellent read). I also polished off Blake Crouch's Desert Places which was a fairly twisted thriller, much different than your standard-issue page-turner.

The Weekly Movie. Have you seen Star Wars Uncut? No, I'm not talking about some limited-edition remastered George Lucas money-making reissue. Star Wars Uncut is an internet project. The masterminds behind it cut the original film into 15 second clips, asked folks on the internet to choose a scene to remake then cobbled the best of the remakes together recomposing the movie. The result is hilarious.

The Weekly Addiction. I love podcasts. I'm a sucker for old radio shows and I'm hopelessly addicted to The Mike O'Meara Show, a staple on radio for many years and now an incredibly awesome and hilarious podcast. If you're an iPhone user and have a similar passion for podcasts, Instacast is pretty much the greatest app ever. (And I'm totally saying that for myself - no promotional consideration here.)

The Weekly Schadenfreude. April Fools! A 48 year old man in Elkton, Maryland was the victim of an April Fools joke gone terribly wrong. He found himself superglued to a toilet seeat in a local Walmart as a result. EMTs removed the toilet seat from the actual toilet but not from the man. He was transported to a nearby hospital where said seat was forcibly removed. Look, I hate Walmart. Our local Walmart is what I envision hell to be like. I can only imagine how terrifying it would be to be stuck in one. Literally.

The Weekly Question. What's the appropriate punishment for the politicians who let their egos get in the way of common sense and got us on the brink of a shutdown?

Posted by Chris at April 8, 2011 7:25 AM
Comments

In answer to the weekly question: IMMEDIATE impeachment. Get them out of there. They aren't doing their job. Any other industry you fail to meet your goals, your head is on the chopping block.

Posted by: Lisa at April 8, 2011 7:49 AM

A dunce cap on their heads and a stool in the corner with pictures posted on the internet. Treat them just like the spoiled brats they are acting like.

Posted by: Elizabeth at April 8, 2011 8:50 AM

At the VERY least, they shouldn't get paid during a shutdown. That's a big bunch of BS.

Posted by: Jaime at April 8, 2011 9:46 AM

FIRE those motherfuckers. They definitely shouldn't be getting paid for not doing their jobs and screwing with other people's lives.

I'm having sympathy pains for that dude in Walmart. I will be checking all public toilet seats for superglue from now on.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 8, 2011 10:29 AM

I'm not sure we can recall a Congressperson but they'll have to run again eventually.

We could, however, start with at least a dozen Governors who are doing their very best to destroy their states.

Chris, I was watching a "people on the street" news segment from New York the other day. No one knew who the Speaker is and only one recognized his picture as being someone in Congress - maybe. We pride ourselves on our ignorance.

I have an online friend who labels herself as "conservative" but who never watches the news. She won't realize what's happening until it happens to her.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at April 8, 2011 10:54 AM

I am all for garnished wages and public humiliation for days on end. You know, in one of those head and arm shackle thingies. So people who pass by can berate and/or throw things at them. Bringing back the old school!

Posted by: Claire at April 8, 2011 11:04 AM

Star Wars Uncut was awesome. My husband and I watched it last weekend.
As far as the politicians, I think they should donate their paychecks that they will still be getting to the families of active duty/serving military who are going to suffer the most from this.

Posted by: Beth at April 8, 2011 11:20 AM

Punishing politicians? I heard about this crazy toilet seat incident at some Walmart somewhere. I'll have to look it up.

Posted by: andy at April 8, 2011 12:22 PM

So the politicians get paid but the military doesn't? That's abominable. Stupid, selfish, childish, idiotic...gr. I just can't even put into words how much that completely angers me.
I kind of like the punishment ideas of toilet seats and putting them in the stocks :P

Posted by: Heather at April 8, 2011 1:50 PM

Super-gluing them to a Walmart toilet?

Posted by: Dawn at April 8, 2011 2:39 PM

Fire the bastards!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 8, 2011 7:19 PM

I think the biggest problem is that politicians don't realize how many wouldn't be able to eat if they lost their paycheck for a week. Let alone weeks or more. Hard to relate to the average person when your life is so far removed from theirs.

If it were up to me, I would massively cut their pay and see how they deal with it.

It is only at times like these that we realize how much would simply shut down and close. The National Parks closing during a budget crisis boggles my mind. They make so much money in those parks daily.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at April 10, 2011 9:48 PM