April 15, 2011

The Weeklies #171

The Weekly State. West Virginia.

The Weekly Other Kind of State. Exhausted.

The Weekly Time Waster. Sand Trap

The Weekly Read. A while back I asked you guys for book suggestions. Quite a few of you mentioned that I should really read Room. Beth read it a couple weeks ago and said the exact same thing. So I did. And I'm not sure what I think. It was interesting, unique and well-written but not at all enjoyable to read. I do get the feeling it's one of those that stays with you for quite a while so perhaps I can't be fair in a review without the benefit of more time to digest.

The Weekly Music. You know there's a new Foo Fighters album out, right? Yup, Wasting Light came out on Tuesday and if you don't own it already, you really should. It is rock solid and masterful and a reminder that this is one of the best bands working today.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I think I might be too exhausted to figure out who screwed up the most this week.

The Weekly Question. Sounds weird but I had a long conversation about this with someone the other day. What's your go-to typeface or font?

Posted by Chris at April 15, 2011 7:32 AM
Comments

I'm fond of Georgia - the font, not the state, although the state isn't bad either.

So, have you read The Windup Girl yet??

Here's to a better weekend for you!

Posted by: Elizabeth at April 15, 2011 7:57 AM

Where in WV were you? That is where I am living these days...

My go to font is Verdana.

Really hoping no one pukes or ends up in the hospital this weekend, and that you find that thing called SLEEP. :)

Posted by: Jen at April 15, 2011 8:43 AM

My go-to font is Calibri.

Posted by: Delia at April 15, 2011 9:03 AM

Tahoma, but Verdana is probably a close second. I hate hate hate Times New Roman. Hurts my eyes to look at it. :-p

Posted by: shan at April 15, 2011 9:12 AM

Garamond. :-)

Posted by: Plankton at April 15, 2011 9:43 AM

Science journals all require Times New Roman because they have no souls, however, I generally stick with Arial or Courier. Not particularly fancy, but effective in their own way and neither of them insult the eyes like Comic Sans or other similar typeface abortions.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 15, 2011 9:46 AM

Calisto or Book Antiqua

Posted by: melanie at April 15, 2011 10:06 AM

Georgia or Garamond.

Posted by: ashley at April 15, 2011 10:17 AM

I am a fan of Comic Sans. It's kind of a casual font, and easy on the eyes.

Here's to a healthy weekend!

Posted by: bacioni at April 15, 2011 10:35 AM

Verdana because it's so easy to read. Have an illness free weekend.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at April 15, 2011 11:09 AM

oooh! i could talk all day about fonts and i'm not even kidding! i used to read U&lc magazine cover to cover as a nerdy little kid.

my favorite is comic sans and papyrus. JOKE!!! those fonts should basically be shelved forever to the vault. computers should just stop coming with them. any company that uses them should not be patronized. ok, maybe that's too far :)

helvetica is the classic san serif that can almost never go wrong. i prefer to use the extra light version. after working at A&F for years, garamond (their logo font) is still one of my faves if i want a classic serif.

but "classic" is also synonymous with "overused". i like Archer, if we're talking expensive serifs. Walkaway condensed extra light is a good free san serif. and i like 1942 Report if we're talking free "typewriter" style.

ok, discuss.

Posted by: kati at April 15, 2011 11:15 AM

Helvetica 12.

Posted by: Brooke at April 15, 2011 11:44 AM

By default, I almost always just use TNR but I really love Comic Sans.

Posted by: Claire at April 15, 2011 11:45 AM

Whatever the default font is set to. It's just fine with me. I really don't care.

Posted by: Mindy at April 15, 2011 12:57 PM

Cactus Man,

Long time, no communicate, my apologies. Have you read, "The Passage" by Justin Cronin and if so, what are your thoughts?

Here is to health and happiness to you and your clan.

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JJ at April 15, 2011 1:15 PM

I read Room last year and found it incredibly interesting and well-done. That said, I had a really hard time reading through the first half of the book. It became far more enjoyable when a) we found out why they were in the room and what the relationship between Mom and Old Nick was and b) when they got out. Even then, there were some spots that were tough to get through.

However, I'm really glad I read it. Having it told through the eyes of the child could be tricky, but I felt like she pulled it off really, really well, so I have to give her credit for that. But this isn't a book I'm going to go back and reread for fun.

Posted by: Dawn at April 15, 2011 1:27 PM

At work it's usually Calibri or Verdana, personal use; usually Arial.

Posted by: Angela at April 15, 2011 2:11 PM

I end up using Times New Roman for most things just because a) it's default, and b) profs expect it. Whee!

Posted by: Heather at April 15, 2011 2:22 PM

Bookman Old Style. It's the font used in school texts, and I swear I always got higher grades on papers because my font pleased the teachers. :-)

Posted by: Sandy at April 15, 2011 4:04 PM

Ok, someone suggested I read Room also. OMG, could not get past the first two chapters. I know I should have stuck with it, but I have better things to do with my life. I read alot, but could not get into it.
Oh well, my loss, I guess.

Posted by: Christine at April 15, 2011 4:17 PM

I'm a fan of many fonts, but my office mates are famous for trying to put twice as many words as necessary on a page so Arial Narrow is my go-to for squeezing more text out of a space while still being readable.

Posted by: NG at April 15, 2011 8:03 PM

I really want to read Room...but I'm waiting to borrow it from someone so I don't have to pay for it. Heh.

I just started reading Little Bee. I know nothing about it, but I hear good things.

Posted by: alimartell at April 15, 2011 9:06 PM

I'm normally a Verdana or Tahoma person, but at work we are required to use Trebuchet, and I've gotten accustomed to that.

Posted by: mmpotter at April 15, 2011 10:32 PM

Calibri is my fave, followed by Arial, Tahoma, or Verdana. I like the clean, non-serif fonts. Times New Roman can quickly and quietly go away... and Comic Sans needs to die a slow, painful death. I suffer from 'Font Sensitivity' when either of those two fonts is used... and I've even been known NOT to read something that is rendered in either of those fonts.

Posted by: ironic1 at April 15, 2011 11:28 PM

Fontwise - I'm okay as long as it's NOT Comic Sans. I really dislike Comic Sans. That said, I usually opt for Verdana - or for work, Garamond, because apparently it's our "corporate font".

"Room". Sigh. I still don't know what I think about it. I keep telling people, "When you finish this, let's talk..." and the answer I keep getting is "I LOVED IT!" Well, yeah. It was good, BUT, BUT, BUT... something about it just... I don't know. I may still be digesting it.

Posted by: Sarah at April 16, 2011 12:08 AM

Trebuchet. Always.

Posted by: Heather at April 16, 2011 3:17 PM

No font of choice, but have you ever read The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs? I just finished and found it both funny (he's an Esquire writer) and moving (even as a fairly irreligious person).

Posted by: Laura Gato at April 16, 2011 4:01 PM

Times New Roman for the most part. Is that lame? I just got so used to defaulting to that (and Courier New, which I hate) in college.

I do use Georgia for drafting forms at work. It's business-like but still kinda "fun"-looking.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 16, 2011 5:05 PM

Ariel. And, no, I dont care about A. The Controversy or B. About my lack of caring about the controversy. I hate Calibri (side rant, what's up w/MS putting the size at 11?), it's annoying. I recently finished a project with a woman who changed EVERY SINGLE paper into Comic Sans Serif. WTH? In case you were wondering, this was work, a serious endeavor, and I just don't get it. I fell like it's the equivalent of a boss I once had who would say to her boss "Whatever you want, Jimmy." :::look through the eyelashes w/hairtwirl:::

Posted by: That33Girl at April 17, 2011 1:40 AM

I'm with you on Room, except maybe where you said it was well-written. (Saying that makes me an enormous jerk.)

Posted by: seekingelevation at April 17, 2011 7:01 AM

Room was a good book...but one that is hard to say that about due to the subject matter. To me, a book that makes me cry or elicits some emotion from me (good or bad) is a good/great book, no matter the subject matter and, sometimes, how well written it is. But that's just my opinion.

I tend to like san-serif fonts the best. If forced to pick, I'd pick Tahoma.

Posted by: cyndy at April 17, 2011 1:42 PM

Who do we love? Dave Grohl.

Posted by: alektra at April 19, 2011 8:07 AM

Your article write very well.

Posted by: North Face jackets outlet at August 10, 2011 10:27 PM

The business loans are useful for people, which are willing to organize their own company. By the way, that is easy to receive a college loan.

Posted by: GEORGETTE32Harmon at September 11, 2011 12:17 AM