April 22, 2011

The Weeklies #172

The Weekly Unwanted Visitor. Pollen.

The Weekly Read. I'd be shocked if many of you have heard of David Housewright but he's a name you should know. His McKenzie series of mysteries is superb, perhaps overshadowed by fellow Minnesota author John Sandford's equally good series. Pretty Girl Gone is an excellent example of what Housewright can do. His hero is a cross between Lee Child's Jack Reacher and Sandford's Lucas Davenport, the mysteries are well thought-out and the humor woven through the books is both charming and welcome.

The Weekly Music. Since his first few solo albums, Paul Simon's output has been maddeningly uneven. Sure, Graceland was catchy but Surprise was marginal at best, You're The One put me to sleep and Songs From The Capeman was unlistenable. I was skeptical when I read the many positive reviews for So Beautiful or So What but I found that the reviews were right. Sure, the song structures and sounds are very reminiscent of Graceland but there are more than a few gems here and the writing is simply brilliant.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Anyone who has ever appeared on or been involved in the production of Pregnant at 16 or Teen Mom. And MTV.

The Weekly Deaths. Oscar nominee Tim Hetherington and photojournalist Chris Hondros died in Libya this week, TV On The Radio bassist Gerard Smith died of lung cancer at age 36 (!) and Elisabeth Sladen known mainly as Dr. Who's companion in the seventies passed away at the age of 63.

The Weekly Question. What crime shouldn't be a crime at all and should be made legal?

The Weekly Postscript From Owen. Rawk!

rawk.jpg

Posted by Chris at April 22, 2011 7:11 AM
Comments

Pot - with the same restrictions at alcohol.

Same sex marriage - repeal DOMA.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at April 22, 2011 9:17 AM

I agree - Pot should be legalized.

Posted by: NancyB at April 22, 2011 9:41 AM

I saw Paul Simon in concert last Friday (his first show of his tour, here in Seattle), and he sounded great! Well, considering he is 69 years old. I got tickets to the show for my husband, who grew up listening to the Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints album as a kid, and he was super pleased to hear lots of old favorites ("That Was Your Mother," "The Obvious Child," "Kodachrome") mixed in with the new stuff, which was pretty great as well. The only disappointment was that he did NOT do "Graceland." He did, however, do S&G's "The Sound of Silence" and "The Only Living Boy in New York," which brought a little tear to MY eye. (I prefer S&G stuff to solo PS stuff.)

Posted by: Jen at April 22, 2011 11:14 AM

RAWWWKKKK!!!

Posted by: Heather at April 22, 2011 11:31 AM

I agree. Pot. With the exact same restrictions and rules (driving under the influence) as alcohol. And - I have to say - suicide. I'm always saddened for the people I see that attempt suicide, fail, and then are arrested. They need help. Not a criminal sentence.

And - I must comment on MTV. I can't help myself. Remember when MTV played music? My 12 year old doesn't. I think I remember they used to. But I'm really not sure. It was SO, SO, SO long ago!

RAWK ON O!

Posted by: Mindy at April 22, 2011 3:20 PM

I agree that marijuana should be legal. It would just need to be regulated and taxed accordingly.
You missed Wonkette for your Schadenfreude. It was pretty disgusting, and I thought you would put ideology aside seeing as how you are a father, but I guess not.
Owen is looking better, I hope May finds you all on the track to wellness!

Posted by: Tess at April 22, 2011 4:22 PM

Legalize and tax pot.

Same sex marriage.

Owen is getting so big, and he is as handsome as ever.

Happy Easter!

Posted by: Jen, now in AZ at April 22, 2011 4:52 PM

I love that the internet allows me to open a new tab and put a hold on that novel, then another to have a listen to the Paul Simon album :) That'll give me something new for the weekend, thanks!

Posted by: Heather at April 22, 2011 5:04 PM

Love So Beautiful or So What! I bought it for a birthday present to myself last week. Funny, before I opened your blog, I'd started listening to the album Negotiations and Love Songs. Just a Paul Simon sort of day I guess.

Posted by: Elizabeth at April 25, 2011 7:51 AM

seat belts and recycling...they are great ideas and i recommend them highly but i haaaaaate that they are "laws" ...
xoxo

Posted by: suicide_blond at April 25, 2011 11:33 AM

Your blog is great. Your thoughts are also very good and i am very inspired from your post. That is why I visit this blog again and again and will come back in future too. Thanks

Posted by: jordan shoes at June 16, 2011 4:19 AM