May 24, 2011

A Star Is Born

Mia was in her very first play yesterday. It was a gripping dramatization of Anansi The Spider which was honestly a really confusing title since, when the drama teacher introduced the play, both Beth and I wondered what kind of asshat teacher would involve the kids in a play about Hitler's repressive forces and an arachnid. Luckily for everyone it turned out to be not about authoritarianism gone awry in favor of a nice folk tale involving animals, a spider and a magic stick.

Whew.

Mia rocked but that shouldn't really surprise anyone. At this point of her life - having perfected her own personal brand of drama into an art form - she wants nothing more than for everyone to be able appreciate her as a star of stage and screen. And since we are not crazy parents and remain unwilling to paint her in makeup and drag her to every casting call and audition, the stage her elementary school's music room is as good as she's going to get right now.

Mia was a zebra. And she was the best damn zebra I've ever seen on stage.

What have we learned?
- Mia can nail the part of a zebra.
- We are not crazy parents...at least like that.
- Books and plays with clear titles are important.
- Elementary school plays about Nazis are a bad idea.

Posted by Chris at May 24, 2011 8:08 AM
Comments

I hope you took a few pictures! I knew Mia could do it. She is such an amazing child who seems fearless. You and Beth are doing a great job with both the kids!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 24, 2011 9:30 AM

This makes me smile, recalling all the things my own children were involved in, all the things I sat in proud attendance of. It sounds cliche, but it's the absolute truth: savor every moment, because it really will be gone before you know it. Then, like me, you'll be awaiting your grandchildren's school years and realizing they too are growing way too fast ;)

Posted by: Julee at May 24, 2011 11:47 AM

Oh! Oh! My kids have all done Anansi the Spider too! I also heard "A Nazi, The Spider" the first time I heard it. My daughter was a zebra as well. Next week we will witness our final (for now) grade-school dramatic presentation with our third viewing of the American Revolution. In two more years, Dash will start the cycle all over again with that classic, "The Garden Show".

Posted by: Brooke at May 24, 2011 12:22 PM

I didn't really get the Nazi reference until Brooke spelled it out. I am SO with it :P

Posted by: Heather at May 24, 2011 2:56 PM

And the picture of the lovely zebra is where?

Posted by: Dianna at May 24, 2011 3:49 PM

My son was in that play last year too! He was a lion rather than a zebra though. Our spider kept stealing yams, which I found rather odd. But there were no Germans in our play either.

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 25, 2011 7:33 AM

LOL I have an mp3 version of this story somewhere in my collection- Denzel Washington narrates, and UB40 does the soundtrack. Its pretty entertaining stuff.

I seriously laughed so hard my bf stopped his game mid-race to ask me why I was laughing when you said you mis-heard it as "A Nazi The Spider"! Thanks for the belly laugh!

Posted by: Debra at May 29, 2011 8:48 AM