May 5, 2011

Aliens and the End of Times

It's been a long time since I've read good science fiction. It used to be all I'd read. When I was ten or eleven my dad handed me a pile of old sci-fi paperbacks and told me I'd love them. I devoured them and asked for more. I occasionally but rarely return to the genre. I don't know why but it doesn't hold the fascination it once did.

The book I'm reading (Forge of God by Greg Bear) got me thinking. So I have two odd, seemingly random questions.

1. Do you believe there's life out there somewhere?
2. If you knew you had, say, two weeks before the world was destroyed, what would you do with that time?

Posted by Chris at May 5, 2011 6:45 AM
Comments

Answer 1: Absolutely. I guess I just find it hard to believe that, in such a HUGE universe, we are the only ones.

Answer 2: I'd keep living my life to the fullest! The only thing that might change is that I'd let the kids all stay home from school. :)

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at May 5, 2011 6:54 AM

I defer to Ms. Madeleine L'Engle, who commented that it would be megalomaniacal for us to think that we were the only beings in this universe.

Easy - save it. ;)

Posted by: alektra at May 5, 2011 7:52 AM

Oh, and The Boy is in town this weekend. What's on your all's schedule?

Posted by: alektra at May 5, 2011 7:53 AM

I'd like to believe there is life out there somewhere. I don't think we will find it or it will find us though.

Two weeks left? I'd hug my family a lot. And I'd start smoking again. :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 5, 2011 8:03 AM

Forge of God is a brilliant book. You can skip the sequel though, not even close to as good as Forge of God.

Given the immensity of the universe, I'd expect that there is life out there somewhere. But I wouldn't be surprised if we never find it though.

Posted by: COD at May 5, 2011 9:19 AM

1. So far, we all seem to agree we are not alone.

2. Perhaps we shouldn't need a sword hanging over our heads to live each day as if it were our last.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at May 5, 2011 9:30 AM

I don't deny that there could be life out there. Who am I to say? And man, if I knew the world was ending? First I'd freak right the heck out. Then get to seeing all the people I really care about and spending real, true quality time with them.

Oh, and I gave you a blog award!

Because I love your blog I chose to do this. Hope you don't think I'm spamming you or anything. :)

Posted by: Claire at May 5, 2011 10:41 AM

Great questions!

1. Not sure. But think so.

2. Full on hedonism plus a lot of quality family and friends time.

Posted by: azita at May 5, 2011 11:13 AM

yes, i do believe there is life out there! it just seems crazy to me to really think we're the only ones.

and if there were only 2 weeks left, i guess i'd just hug my babies!

Posted by: kati at May 5, 2011 11:47 AM

1. I don't really know. I think there must be, but then, why haven't we seen any evidence of them? :shrug:

2. I sure as hell wouldn't go to work. I guess I'd hang with my kids.

Posted by: Brooke at May 5, 2011 12:06 PM

I just finished re-reading Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. My 12 year old was reading it - and wanted a discussion buddy. Literary genius, that man.

Yes, I believe there is life out there somewhere. Perhaps not carbon based life, as we know it, but life. Of some sort. For certain.

Spend them in Park City, Utah, with my family and friends, hiking and biking and grilling and drinking and playing and partying. I hope there is some good live music to catch, too.

Posted by: Mindy at May 5, 2011 12:14 PM

Yes, I believe it is arrogance to think Earth is the only planet inhabited with life.

If the world were ending, I'd eat cake and ice cream for breakfast, go shopping on all my credit cards, and take the kids to Disneyland and the beach.

Posted by: rebecca at May 5, 2011 1:48 PM

yes.. i mean there has to be SOMETHING SOMEWHERE..right? and..
id go to spain.. i want to be in front of picasos guernica when i go...
xoxo

Posted by: suicide_blond at May 5, 2011 2:00 PM

1. I would like to think there is, because why wouldn't there be? However, I am one of those people that like to have proof. I guess I'm a bit lacking in the faith department.

2. If I knew FOR SURE the world was going to end, I would tell my boyfriend that I love him and I would spend those two weeks with my kids doing everything I have ever wanted to do with them. Hello, credit card!!

Posted by: Tracy at May 6, 2011 4:13 PM

Absolutely knew? Tell my husband I love him but I've had enough (or really not nearly enough at all), quit my job, and take off for Montana with a certain ex- and my cats.

Posted by: Karen at May 7, 2011 10:43 PM