May 12, 2011

Cardigans and Keds

I ran across a picture of Mr. Rogers last night and found myself telling Owen all about him. I loved Mr. Rogers. The morning after he died - the news broke overnight as I recall - my mom called me. It was 7:00 in the morning. I was getting ready for work. She wanted to be the one to break the news to me. I was crushed. I wasn't alone. It hit Loudon Wainwright pretty hard too. He later wrote Hank and Fred:

On my way Thursday from the Y I heard it in the car
Bob Edwards broke the news to me, it's he of NPR
Driving through Montgomery I hung my head and cried
then visited Hank Williams grave the day Fred Rogers died.

Zelda Sayre, F. Scott Fitzgerald lived somewhere in this old town
Nat King Cole was born here Rosa Parks stayed sitting down
Black and white death booze and music genius courage kindness pride
I felt them all around me there the day Fred Rogers died

When I was little I told anyone who would listen that I wanted to invite Mr. Rogers to dinner. I still do. Or would if he was still alive. I'd also invite Peter Gabriel, Isaac Asimov, Presidents Jefferson and Obama, George Lucas (my kids have some things they'd like to discuss), Warren Buffett and Dick Van Dyke. It would be quite a dinner party. But if I had to just pick one, it'd be Fred Rogers every time.

Who'd you invite?

Posted by Chris at May 12, 2011 7:09 AM
Comments

Douglas Adams, any time.

Charles Darwin.

Together - that'd be really interesting!

Posted by: K at May 12, 2011 9:10 AM

Alive? The Queen of England. Although she has a ceremonial role in her country, she has lived a truly remarkable life. He life has been history, from WW II on.
Dead? My daughter.

Posted by: Maribeth at May 12, 2011 9:36 AM

Oh Maribeth.. every time I see one of your comments about your daughter, my heart sinks. I simply cannot imagine. :(

I was just over at your blog.. saw you lived in Falmouth.. I was born there. :)

If I could have anyone over for a dinner party? Hmm..Gosh... SO many people come to mind. But I guess if I had to choose just a few it would be George Washington, Jesus, Nikki Sixx and my Daddy..
Peter Gabriel could come, but he would have to sing to me. LOL

Posted by: Jen at May 12, 2011 10:31 AM

Dream Dinner Party - Steve Martin, Neil Peart (Rush drummer), Kate Bush (have had a crush on her since that SNL appearance in the 70's wearing only a raincoat), Ken Dryden (hockey goalie, lawyer, author, politician), Anthony Bourdain, Arthur C Clarke, and Rude Cactus and the rest of the Cactii clan.

Posted by: Mike at May 12, 2011 11:08 AM

Ooh - tough one. I think I'd have my grandfather, Julia Child - I think she led a fascinating life, Elvis Costello, Eddie Izzard and a few more that I can't think of at the moment...

Posted by: Sue R at May 12, 2011 11:12 AM

Jim Henson. He's the person who has probably most influenced my life.

Posted by: blepharisma at May 12, 2011 11:37 AM

As always, great question.

I'm late today so many of my "fantasy" guests have been mentioned. Definitely Fred Rogers...my Facebook post yesterday was a tribute to him!

Jimmy Buffett...think of th stories he could tell!
John Bon Jovi...yum, just yum! And extremely talented
Shakespeare
Hannah Arendt...she could explain her philosophy to me instead of me trying to interpret it
Oh, and Abe Lincoln because he looks like so much fun in those commercials!

On a more personal note, all of my family members who have passed away just to have one more time to hear their stories and tell them that I love them.

Posted by: Krush at May 12, 2011 11:53 AM

I too loved Mr. Rogers. He was a big part of my childhood!

Posted by: Heather at May 12, 2011 12:33 PM

ah we've talked about this before, because I, too, would invite Mr. Rogers.

Posted by: Jodi at May 12, 2011 3:43 PM

Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud, B.F. Skinner, John B. Watson, Rachel Maddow, Ellen DeGeneres, and I should stop here because my table is not that big!

Posted by: Stephanie at May 12, 2011 6:15 PM

Mister Rogers was a daily presence on my tv screen while my children were growing up. I loved his soft-spoken, gentle manner in contrast to the loud, wild (and sometimes downright violent) 'cartoon' offerings.

As for the guest list, I write, so my list would read more like a who's who of literary folk. T.C. Boyle, for sure, Oscar Wilde, Faye Kellerman (How and where did you find your Jonathan, because I want one just like him) the list goes on, but those three are at the top.

Posted by: Julee at May 12, 2011 7:04 PM

Presidents Thomas Jefferson, and Ronald Reagan, Tom Hanks, Tim Tebow, Michelle Malkin, Candice Olsen, Karl Holz and Amalah. Along with my husband and I, I think it would be a well rounded table of awesome.

Posted by: Tess at May 12, 2011 7:39 PM

I love this question. And I love Mr. Rogers. He went to college in my home town :)

I would invite Anderson Cooper, Eleanor Roosevelt, Julie Andrews, Bill Clinton and Tim Russert.

My controversial invite would go to Hitler - I would love to find out how his mind worked. But I wouldn't waste an invite on him if I was limited.

Posted by: Melissa at May 12, 2011 7:40 PM

Ray Bradbury, Sting, Michael C. Hall (Seriously crushing on him and reading the Dexter books), and Whoopi Goldberg.

Posted by: Amanda L. at May 12, 2011 11:35 PM

1. Angelina Jolie. My hero.
2. Joss Whedon. How DO you do what you do, man?
3. Anthony Bourdain. Maybe he could help me cook.
4. Ted Nugent. Maybe he could hunt dinner.
5. Any US Marine brave enough to join this dinner.
6. My great, great grandfather King Rama IV aka King Mongkut. Really want to get into the bottom of that "The King & I" business.
7. And of course, object of obsession of the moment, Chris Hemsworth aka Thor. Eye candy who seems to be awesome just to kick back with.

Oh, and I'd like to have the cast of the Muppets over for tea. :)

Posted by: oakley at May 13, 2011 12:05 PM

Mister Rogers ruled.

You may want to check out this documentary when it's released: http://misterrogersandme.com/

Posted by: erin at May 15, 2011 8:37 PM