May 4, 2011

In A Room Far, Far Away...

Mia's room has always been somewhat exotic, with things - butterflies, lanterns, windchimes and a moon and stars - hanging from the ceiling, pink walls adorned with butterflies, books everywhere and my old comforter that I took to college which she now loves and calls Big Blue. Owen's room has, to this point, been relatively boring by comparison - blue-gray walls, a cool train table and a Toy Story comforter. I've always felt a little guilty that Owen's room was less interesting but we figured he'd give us ideas eventually. And he did. Beth worked her magic and Owen now has one kick-ass room.

galaxyfarfaraway.jpg

To Owen, Star Wars is The Shit. And now his room is The Shit. We're not done - we're still waiting on a bed spread and we need to put up a few posters - but Owen's room is looking pretty jeditastic.

I remember having a blue room as a kid. Bright blue, with posters of cool cars. But I don't recall ever really having a theme. What was your room like growing up?

Posted by Chris at May 4, 2011 7:09 AM
Comments

My room went from Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs wallpaper to a psychedelic Yellow/Orange/Green HUGE flowers wallpaper with dark stained trim and bookshelves. Oddly I still enjoy all those colors together. I had some "Love is...." poster, a poster of Robert Redford looking pensively into the distance and I think that's it. But Bookshelves - about 5 of them freighted.....and right.over.my.head. Scary when I think about it now!!
Owen's room looks awesome. My 9 year old friend is really into Star Wars. He has the various Star War dictionaries, and Lego characters and knows all their names. Even has the pajamas. I think Star Wars is cool.

Posted by: NancyB at May 4, 2011 7:51 AM

I had a peaked ceiling in my room growing up and one side was painted dark blue with a moon and stars and the other had a huge sun on it with wavy red, orange and yellow rays. my stepmother was (and still is) an awesome painter.
we just painted my son's room bright blue and put up super mario decals all over so it looks like he's in a video game. He LOVES it!

Posted by: akofaolain at May 4, 2011 9:49 AM

We just had white walls as a kid. No themes or pulled together rooms.

Did you get the comforter from Pottery Barn Kids? My son has a blanket and sheets from there. I believe they have artwork and pillows too. Love the curtains and what I can see of the wallpaper border.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at May 4, 2011 10:04 AM

Like a prison cell. Seriously. I had a bed with a pipe frame and a small dresser for my clothes. One wicker laundry basket for my dirty laundry. And I had white sheets, and a brown wool blanket. Period.

Posted by: Maribeth at May 4, 2011 10:38 AM

I had the most awesome wallpaper that I got to pick out, big yellow butterflies with shimmery color outlines, sparkly closet-door handles...I was so happy with it...and I look at the pictures now and just shake my head in amazement at how bad my taste was...lol. I will forgive myself because I was around 10 at the time. :)

Posted by: bacioni at May 4, 2011 11:01 AM

When I was a kid, I had one wall papered with rainbow-themed wallpaper. Mom had covered an empty ice-cream tub (the kind from the actual ice-cream store) with the same wallpaper, so the wastebasket matched. She also made a window valence from rainbow fabric. After I outgrew that, though, I never had a theme (except for a few years during Jr. High and high school, my room at my Mom's was Tom Cruise-themed).

My daughter's room is themed: Peace, Love, and Surf. She has lavender paint on the walls, Pottery Barn island-themed sheets with matching bedspread, a surfboard shaped rug, shelf, and cork board. There is a surfboard-shaped kite tacked above her closet. And she has the kickin'-est ceiling fan with wooden surboard blades. I designed the whole room around that awesome fan. All the decorative elements are some combo of lavender, lime green, and bright pink. I love it.

My son's room recently developed a Pixar theme. Currently he has Toy Story sheets and wall stickers. His walls are light blue like Andy's, but no clouds. Probably we will add some Cars stuff shortly.

Posted by: Brooke at May 4, 2011 12:11 PM

I remember one set that was purple with rainbows and unicorns. My current room is blue, as per the directions of my great-grandmother who originally bought this house in 1920something - "It can be any colour, as long as it's blue!". I have a sand dollar duvet cover from IKEA that I really like but the cat has attacked it one too many times and it's getting rather threadbare. My other theme is...mess. I need to get on that :P

Posted by: Heather at May 4, 2011 1:28 PM

PS how appropriate is it that you posted this on International Star Wars Day? Was that coincidence or intent? May the 4th be with you!

Posted by: Heather at May 4, 2011 1:34 PM

Being #3 of 6 girls, we had baby pink walls with light grey trim. For 24 years I lived with that color. I HATE baby, barbie pink!!!!

Posted by: joss is boss at May 4, 2011 2:01 PM

Very blah and earthy. Tan walls, brown drapes, lighter brown carpeting, brown bedding, etc. I swear, my mother must have gone to a sale at the "Just Brown Stuff" store.

Posted by: J at May 4, 2011 3:51 PM

That's it. I'm coming to visit. I can sleep in Owen's, right?

;-D

Posted by: oakley at May 5, 2011 11:46 AM

Mine was pretty dull, in fairness, but I'm a dull person ;)

Friends of mine, however, went kick-ass for their son. He was well into diggers, trucks and all that stuff so they got hold of a load of stick-on metal plate. The grippy stuff that you put onto steps so that your feet don't sleep.

That was placed on the wardrobe doors. Drawer handles were replaced with huge nuts and bolts and yellow and black warning tape was plastered around.

The whole thing looked like the inside of the world's comfiest dumper truck.

Posted by: Mosh at May 5, 2011 4:14 PM