May 25, 2011

...Of Champions

I was out way past my bedtime last night - a school night, no less - and I am old. Instead of a brilliant - or even marginal - post I must, instead, ask a question. What did you - or are you planning to - eat for breakfast? I need to revise my breakfast approach because I am in dire need of energy, not just after late nights but every damn day. Any my granola bar and coffee diet just ain't cutting it. Here are my requirements:

- No meat. I don't eat anything with a face. Except gummy bears.
- Protein! I need protein.
- Portability is key. Breakfast generally happens in my car between home and wherever I'm heading.

So, suggestions?

Posted by Chris at May 25, 2011 7:20 AM
Comments

My breakfast won't work for you, but it sure is yummy: Mom's Best chocolate oatmeal with sliced banana (some days it's strawberries instead). Sounds to me like you need some sort of muffins with cheese in them for protein.

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 25, 2011 7:36 AM

You should definitely try a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Peanut butter for protein and jelly because you might get a sugar high that early in the morning which makes everything better, even a commute!!

Posted by: Becki at May 25, 2011 7:40 AM

Wheat bagel with peanut butter. You get the protein, plus the carbs will help carry you through until lunch.

Posted by: J at May 25, 2011 7:54 AM

Special K protein shakes - full of protein, comes in a bottle so you can drink it in the car & the choc. is pretty good

Posted by: Kris at May 25, 2011 8:02 AM

What a shame it needs to be portable -- really? can't take a minute to sit and eat a good breakfast? Mine is 3 minute cooked oatmeal with a splenda, chopped nuts, cinnamon and banana with a glass of milk. It's gets me through to about 11am and that's eating it at 6:30.
Otherwise I would suggest peanut butter and jelly too - that's really good! A Lara Bar (dates and cashews is all we have) is really good too.

Posted by: NancyB at May 25, 2011 8:03 AM

I start the day with a green smoothie:
banana, water, plus another other fruit (frozen red berries, apple, pear, peach... whatever really), a massive handful of spinach (or I couldn't call it green smoothie) (don't worry, you won't taste it) and hemp seeds for protein (you can order that nline or buy it at whole foods, believe me it's worth the investment).
You can also add nut butter (peanut or almond) for extra creaminess
I also add maca powder because it's a super food and I hear it's good for the libido, and it taste delicious but it's totally optional.
Throw the whole thing in the blender, take as much time as pouring your cereal and milk in the bowl if no less!
Beware, this is more powerful than the coffee and cigarette combo if you know what I mean ;)
You can put it in a big reusable water bottle and have it while you drive to work.
With that you might want to plan a mid morning snack (I would recommend a Larabar or a Vega bar), cause if you are like me, you will get hungry :)

Posted by: Alejandra at May 25, 2011 8:10 AM

I have a protein shake every day - comprised of organic juice (grape, cherry, whatever), frozen fruit (usually cherries or blueberries), soy protein powder (unflavoured, unsweetened), 1/3 of a cup of oat bran, flax seed oil, and some milk. Then I use my Magic Bullet (purchased after I basically bullied my husband into buying it at Costco) and chug that down. The bullet comes with travel lids for all of the cups, so I could drink it on my way to work - but instead I just slam it back like I'm winning a drinking game over my kitchen sink...

Posted by: Violet at May 25, 2011 8:14 AM

My husband boils up a dozen eggs and eats them throughout the week for breakkie. (No yolk.) Don't know if you eat eggs though. Myself? I find that I am constantly snacking from 6 am through about 11. I just make it healthy--raw veggies, some fruit, some cheese, oatmeal, etc. I have also found that if I stay away from sugar in the morning, I avoid that post-sugar crash.

Oh, and the PBJ idea is solid. I eat about twenty of those a week. Wish I was lying.

Posted by: seeking elevation at May 25, 2011 8:15 AM

This might be a southern thing but a scrambeled egg sandwich goes out of the door with me almost every morning. Full of protein that keeps me full for a few hours.

Posted by: Winna at May 25, 2011 8:23 AM

I usually eat an egg white w/ cheese on toast... that covers some food groups and keeps me going for a few hours after I eat. AND, I cook all that while I prepare my cup of coffee and slip on my shoes :)

Posted by: Leanne at May 25, 2011 8:23 AM

Have you ever tried KIND bars? There are lots of different flavors packed with nuts and fruit and not a lot of artificial crap. Plus they are delicious.

Posted by: Emily at May 25, 2011 8:39 AM

I eat a lot of small 'on the go' snacks. I'm a big fan of cheese sticks and the 100 calorie packs of almonds.

Posted by: fauve at May 25, 2011 8:45 AM

44 oz frozen coke...

It was a busy morning and that's all that looked good at Speedway.

Posted by: Kim at May 25, 2011 8:45 AM

I scramble eggs on Sunday night and then each morning microwave a whole wheat tortilla with some egg and usually add a bit of cheese. I eat this in the car on the way to work along with a low sodium V8. I also have to have protein in the morning...

Posted by: Tracy at May 25, 2011 8:50 AM

PBJ is always good, or you could add a babybel cheese with the usual granola bar. But keep the coffee, definitely keep the coffee.

Posted by: akofaolain at May 25, 2011 9:49 AM

Maple brown sugar oatmeal in a cup with sliced bananas.

Posted by: Brad at May 25, 2011 9:52 AM

My spinach egg cups would be perfect! I am assuming you eat eggs? They don't have a face.

If you want the recipe let me know. Super easy. Can make at the beginning of the week, then store in fridge and the rest of the week is taken care of.

Posted by: Debbie at May 25, 2011 9:54 AM

I usually do some kind of cereal bar or a protein bar (PowerBar or these new "Think Thin" ones) or a hard boiled egg. That's good protein.

Posted by: Claire at May 25, 2011 10:25 AM

I've made myself a "deviled egg salad" on whole grain bread or even in a pita pocket. Make it like a deviled egg with mustard,mayo, paprika...It's great.

Or I will even make myself cheese toast and eat that (cheese grilled on whole wheat).

For energy, the more protein the better and whole grains to fill. Or you could make smoothie with protein powder.

Posted by: Jean at May 25, 2011 10:34 AM

Betty Lou's Peanut Butter Bulls. They are gluten free, soy free, dairy free, and have a whopping 16 grams of protein, with a 40-30-30 balance.

I also like Boomi Bars and some of the Raw Revolution bars.

They are super easy to eat in the car.

Posted by: bacioni at May 25, 2011 10:34 AM

Yogurt--love the greek ones. Tons of protein and since I started eating it about a month ago I've had a lot more energy. If you eat eggs, hard boil a bunch in the beginning of the week and eat 1 a day or two if you just want the whites. Both aren't that easy to eat in the car, but easy to do at your desk. Also I've been making smoothies. Buy a bag of frozen berries and in the blender throw 1 container of yogurt, little water and because the fruit is frozen, you don't even need ice. sooo easy.

Posted by: Susan at May 25, 2011 10:51 AM

How timely! I ruined half of my breakfast this morning. Lately I've been having a Jimmy Dean light turkey sausage breakfast sandwich and grapes, and somehow I left the sandwich in the microwave *way* too long, and it ended up inedible. I had to settle for my grapes and some pretzels I scrounged from my packed lunch. Boo!

Posted by: Jaime at May 25, 2011 10:54 AM

Yes, a protien shake is always good made with fruit, protien powder and milk. Or bagel, cream cheese and jelly. Also make an egg sandwich. Those are great too. Toss on a slice of great cheese.

Posted by: Maribeth at May 25, 2011 11:39 AM

best, most portable vegetarian friendly breakfast every - and weight watchers approved (if you so desire). whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter. easy, delicious and filling. great with black coffee and you could even make it a toaster waffle if you are feeling really crazy. my go to breakfast for years!!

Posted by: diana at May 25, 2011 11:54 AM

The peanut butter comments are a good choice, but my first thought when I read your post was to stick with the coffee and granola bar and add a hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit.

Posted by: ashley at May 25, 2011 11:56 AM

Well, my breakfast isn't really portable since you'd need two hands, but I have peach yogurt with plain oats n' honey granola in it. I don't think there's any protein in it but there's no meat. I also have a glass of juice. I can't vouch for its energizing powers, because I could (and sometimes do) fall asleep at my desk every day. But it's pretty filling and I don't snack before lunch. And yogurt is supposed to be good for your digestive system, I guess. I think granola is kinda high in fat, though.

Posted by: Brooke at May 25, 2011 12:04 PM

I would say either a breakfast burrito or an egg sandwich. Both are super yummy!

Posted by: Holly at May 25, 2011 12:21 PM

I really like hummus on an everything bagel. Very filling, and some protein. (Although, I am not bothered by eating vaguely garlic-y things in the morning. I suppose some people might be!)

Posted by: Melody at May 25, 2011 12:26 PM

I am holding the perfect breakfast. A Chcolate deluxe Pure Protein bar. 20g of protein, noy soy in sight. Just delicious chocolate and whey protein and fairly yummy. That plus a venti coffee started my day. Usually I'm a yogurt gal but yogurt on the go is tough. Dry cheerios out of the kid sized box is closer to my everyday truth but today, I packed a salad for lunch, hence the protein bar!

Posted by: rebeccaeee at May 25, 2011 12:51 PM

for portability, we make muffin-sized mini egg stratas. take whatever veggies you have around, dice and saute briefly, divide into muffin pan, top each with some shredded cheese, then whisk eggs (usually 5 eggs for a 12-muffin pan) with some milk and salt, pepper, mustard, paprika, or whatever fresh herbs you have, and pour on top. bake at 350 until set, usually 15 to 20 mins. if you line the muffin cups with paper liners, these are very portable and delicious.

Posted by: Oana at May 25, 2011 1:42 PM

For on-the-go breakfast, I'm a big fan of protein smoothies. I usually combine 1 cup milk (either plain unsweetened almond or regular/cow, depending on what we have on hand), 1 scoop of protein powder and a couple handfuls of frozen fruit (usually whatever was on sale when I bought it). Blend it on up and drink in the car.

If you're not a protein powder person, you can always sub the powder with 1/2 cup of greek yogurt - plain or flavored, depending on what you feel like. I'm a plain person myself, but if you're a sweet fan you'll want to go the flavored route.

Posted by: Dawn at May 25, 2011 1:44 PM

I am about to eat a frozen pizza after a massive freaking relapse into sick land.

How was the concert?

Posted by: alektra at May 25, 2011 1:50 PM

Some of my favorites include:

Scrambled eggs, cheese, spinach, and salsa in a whole wheat tortilla.

A green smoothie with berries (or other fruit of your choice), spinach or broccoli, yogurt, banana, and orange juice.

Oatmeal with peanut butter and raisins

Yogurt with fruit and granola (These last two I eat at my desk when I get to work.)

Posted by: Jessie at May 25, 2011 2:30 PM

I had cheerios with granola and dried cranberries today. It was delicious but not too portable :P

Posted by: Heather at May 25, 2011 3:11 PM

Hard boiled eggs -- we boil up a weeks worth for breakfast every Sunday. Very portable. Usually eat 2 with a nutrigrain waffle and it keeps me going till lunch.

Posted by: Jenn M at May 25, 2011 4:44 PM

Yes, yes, suggestion!

I have this idea for "rolls on the go" (don't tell anyone about it). For a breakfast roll on the go I'd take an egg, scramble it, and fry up a small pile of breakfast potatoes. Mix the eggs and potatoes together, add ketchup if so desired. Get a french roll and slice it about a third of the way around. Either pat down the interior bread or gently pick it out and fill the roll with the egg/potato mix.

I know this is time consuming, but it's completely portable afterwords!

Posted by: Dianna at May 25, 2011 6:03 PM

egg sandwich?

Posted by: kati at May 25, 2011 6:06 PM

I also do the hard boiled egg and fruit thing several other commenters mentioned. I also keep yogurt and granola at work for mornings when I was running late or was out of something at home (and my commute is about the same length as yours if I recall correctly).

Posted by: Judy at May 25, 2011 7:22 PM

I'd have a smoothie with Greek yogurt, for the protein. The one my kids love is:
about 1 cup apple juice, a big handful of spinach, a partially defrosted 10 oz bag of frozen strawberries, a handful each of frozen blueberries & mango, a frozen banana and two cups of greek yogurt. This pretty much fills our blender jar. I throw the extra into the freezer, put it out to defrost when we get up the next day. It would obviously be healthier with water in place of the apple juice, but the kids like the added sweetness.

Posted by: Kate M at May 25, 2011 8:03 PM

The world can wait. Take the time and sit down at your kitchen table and eat. I sit at my dining room table every morning and eat while Nathan either sits with me and/or plays. It's one of my favorite times of the day.

Food-wise, I eat a bowl of Kashi Go-Lean, orange juice, a glass of water, and a cup of (half-caf) coffee.

Posted by: Drew at May 26, 2011 9:20 AM