May 26, 2011

Old, And Sometimes Five

I fancy myself a novice musician, having played a guitar for twenty plus years and enjoyed the hell out of a wide variety of music even longer. While there are many musicians I have liked, there are few that have impacted me in truly profound ways. The list is varied and somewhat embarrassing. Over the last dozen or so years, the guy who's had the most impact is Neal Morse. He's not a household name by any stretch (he's big in Europe, not so much here) but he is one of the most talented musicians alive. On Tuesday night, I dragged Beth (who loathes the style of music - progressive rock - but is a saint and all-around good sport) to a small club where Morse was appearing with his band on a very brief tour of the States. Since I bought the tickets a month ago, I've been giddy like a five year old anticipating a trip to Disney. Tuesday night arrived, the lights dimmed and the man blew me away for over three hours. Now, granted, he's changed a bit since I first started following him. He found God, decided to sing about Jesus, and stopped touring quite as much but his songwriting stayed good (though decidedly Jesus-heavy) and his music profoundly rewarding. I'm not a Jesus guy but there were plenty of Jesus folks on stage and in the crowd. And if Jesus is at least partially responsible for the enthusiasm, energy, and emotion I saw on stage, then more power to him.

nmorse.jpg

It was an incredible evening that gives me chills just thinking about it. But there was a price. Exhaustion.

For the past two or three nights, I've managed to stay up way past my bedtime yet wake up with Owen which is damn early. And at this particular moment, there's not enough coffee in the world to get me up to my normal speed. So, while I've proven that I still have the ability to be rendered giddy like a five year old at the prospect of seeing a musical idol, I've also proven that I am old and need to go to bed at 8:00 tonight.

What time do you go to bed?

Posted by Chris at May 26, 2011 6:34 AM
Comments

I go to bed around 9:30, but then I read for about an hour before actually going to sleep. I can't stay up late anymore! But, in my defense, I'm up at 5:00 and have a puppy who wakes me up once during the night to go out. But mostly I'm just old!

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 26, 2011 7:29 AM

I joke that I have the bed time of a kindergartener, as I'm usually in bed by 10 at the latest. I've been known to go to bed at 7:30 or 8 after an especially exhausting day, for sure, and if I'm up past midnight? That's practically unheard of.

Posted by: Dawn at May 26, 2011 7:52 AM

Usually 9:30. However for a few special shows recently, I was able to stay up until 11 o'clock! However, I was exhausted the next day. Yeah. I'm old!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 26, 2011 8:12 AM

I go to bed about 11pm. But that last hour we'll usually watch an hour of tv to wind down. Sometimes I'll fall asleep during that though, because Nathan has been getting up around 5:45am... ouch.

Posted by: Drew at May 26, 2011 9:26 AM

Anywhere between 10 and 10:30 is normal. Once a week at least I have a late hockey game and it's more like midnight. I need 8 hours but usually get 7 or 7 1/2.

Posted by: Brad at May 26, 2011 9:36 AM

I'm more of a night owl (sorta), and used to get to bed by 10:30 or so to read for an hour or so before sleep. Since getting laid off and not having to work anymore, even though I have to get up early with kids still, I don't see any reason to sleep - and have been up much later... Ideally, I'd sleep from midnight to seven... that doesn't really fly in my family.

Posted by: Sarah at May 26, 2011 9:38 AM

I actually lie down in bed around 8-8:30 with the laptop. Going to sleep is more around 10:30-11'ish if not later. I babysit my grandchildren for their night working mother, so there's a lot of time spent huddled in the same bed together with the laptop surfing funny kitty and puppy videos on YouTube till they drift off. Funny thing - the other night we had some heavy thunderstorm stuff going on, and we lost our wireless internet for a while... and you would have thought the world really had come to an end - at age 4 and 2 they are already 'tech dependent'!

Posted by: Julee at May 26, 2011 9:42 AM

Since I have no children... a lot later. 11-midnight, sometimes. I need to start ratcheting that back, though, since the new job is a bit more of a commute.

Posted by: alektra at May 26, 2011 10:15 AM

I hear ya! I can make it to about 11:15 - 11:30 on week nights (especially if the Daily Show is not a repeat!) I'm up around 6:30-7. Weekends though, man, that's a different story! I'm lucky if I can make it to 11 on a Fri or Sat...for some reason my body just wants to go to bed around 9ish on those nights.

And I can remember when 9ish was about the time I was getting ready to go out on Fri or Sat night!!!

Catch up on your sleep this weekend! Have a great Holiday weekend!

Posted by: cyndy at May 26, 2011 10:27 AM

usually 11:00, which is too late for me as I run with a group in the early a.m. I really need 8hrs sleep - last night I went to bed at 10:00 and feel like a million effing bucks today. My perkiness is likely annoying my co-workers.

Posted by: meanie at May 26, 2011 12:11 PM

I'm usually around or a little after midnight, and my schedule is righting itself in the last few months so I'm a lot less likely to stay up all night. However, I do think I need to go to bed a bit earlier, because of the super early sunrise that always wakes me up.

Posted by: Heather at May 26, 2011 2:00 PM

Sometimes I go to bed after the kids go to their rooms at 9. I often read until 11 or so. I am supposed to get up at 6 but it's really more like 6:30 and then I'm a little late to work but I'm still tired all the time.

Posted by: Brooke at May 26, 2011 4:58 PM