May 10, 2011

The Ghost of the Magic Treehouse

Do you believe in ghosts?

My kids get my old gadgets as hand-me-downs. Mia has my iPod Touch and Owen inherited my second generation iPod pretty recently. Both kids love music and, even better, audio books. While Mia listens to stories about fairies and Ramona Quimby and Pipi Longstockings, Owen is enamored with the Magic Treehouse stories. Of course, the Star Wars soundtrack usually wins so he falls asleep to John Williams and Darth Vader's theme most nights.

But no matter what he falls asleep to, for some strange reason that we haven't yet figured out, a Magic Treehouse story is always playing when we return to his room. It doesn't matter when as long as its after midnight or so - one in the morning after he's had a bad dream or six when he wakes up for the day. One of the stories is playing. Even when we forgot to tun on the iPod at all the night before. It's not always the same story and it's clear from their progress that they don't start at the same time each night. But, without fail, they always start.

It can't be Owen. If he were to wake up in the night, we'd know about it. And it's not Mia. Once she finally falls asleep, there's no motivating her to get up before 7 in morning. The only conclusion I can come? Ghosts.

So, what do you think is turning on these stories? And do you believe in ghosts?

Posted by Chris at May 10, 2011 7:00 AM
Comments

Posted by: Maribeth at May 10, 2011 7:52 AM

I don't believe in ghosts, mostly because I don't believe we have a "something" go continues on beyond death. Thus, by extension, no "something" to become ghostlike. Sounds like your iPod has a quirk.

Posted by: Sandi at May 10, 2011 8:34 AM

I don't believe in ghosts. It's obviously Morgan le Fay! Owen & Mia are the next Jack & Annie but can't be bothered to wake up and get in the darn treehouse.

Posted by: Kate M at May 10, 2011 9:05 AM

I think electronics/machines/toys with batteries definitely have their own ghosts. And having lived with the other kind, I have no choice but to believe in them!

Posted by: akofaolain at May 10, 2011 9:44 AM

Many children's toys are very, very creepy, and I guess giving Owen the iPod imbued it with those qualities ;)

Posted by: Heather at May 10, 2011 12:14 PM

Toys are alive, obviously. Haven't you seen Toy Story ?

Posted by: viviane at May 11, 2011 1:13 AM

Back when Cooper was between 1 and 2 years of age, and he was still getting up once a night JUST BECAUSE, I would bring him downstairs for a bottle and hang out for 20 minutes. Often before I would get him, I could hear him talking away in his room, as if someone was in there. One night I brought him downstairs, put him on the floor and he immediately stood up, turned away from me and put his arms up in the air smiling like he wanted to be picked up by someone else. Only there was no one else that I COULD SEE. But he was acting like there was another person in that room. I immediately informed whatever astral entity was hanging around that while I appreciated that my son liked him/her, and he/she seemed to be kind, I needed him/her to leave my house. Or at the very least stop waking my kid up, because Mama needs her sleep. The waking up did stop. Not sure if the ghost is still around though.

Posted by: MidLyfeMama at May 11, 2011 9:39 AM

Spooky! I think there are a lot of things we can't explain. Maybe you have a friendly ghost.

We've had some strange things happen in our house, things like kitchen cabinets being open when we know we closed them and our sliding door locking on its own while my hubby was in the yard. I don't know if I really believe in ghosts but for a week or so I was pretty freaked out when we had a lot of "activity". I even felt someone prod me on my shoulder when I was in the living room alone - that was a bit creepy! Our dishwasher switches itself on sometimes which is odd. Occasionally our dogs will growl or bark at seemingly nothing, but that could be down to anything.

Whether or not it's a ghost, we don't really feel threatened and we don't think about it too much these days! If we do have one, I think it's harmless.

Posted by: Emily at May 13, 2011 12:34 PM

I believe.

We've had quite a few kid toys that speak when not spoken to or otherwise engaged. That may just be quirks of technology and not ghosts.

I once had a Buick Skylark whose radio was possessed -- by God. From time to time, usually in the middle of a song I really liked, the radio would suddenly start blaring some preacher going on and on, and no matter what button I pushed, I could not change the channel or turn off the radio.

Best ghost story (and ghost) ever: My coworkers and I filmed a "flash mob" of us dancing to "9 to 5" in a conference room to cheer up a dying coworker. He died before seeing it, but every time I edited the video, the light in my office went out. I know it was him, laughing. Mission accomplished.

Posted by: Pirate T of mommysminions.blogspot.com at May 14, 2011 3:36 AM