May 20, 2011

The Weeklies #176

The Weekly Number. 18

The Weekly Beer. Southern Tier IPA.

The Weekly Read. I love Dick Van Dyke. Not like that. He seems like a genuinely nice pop culture figure and I've always been a fan of his self-titled show and, of course, Mary Poppins which is one of the greatest movies ever made. When I saw his memoir - My Lucky Life In And Out of Show Business - I bought it on a whim. I'm really glad I did. Reading it, you get the sense that Van Dyke really is a very nice, very genuine guy. The memoir is interesting, far from sensationalistic, and humble. I walked away from it with a greater appreciation for a man who is a totally underrated and fantastic talent who is still managing to go strong after spending 80 years being nice.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Is anyone seriously shocked that Ahh-nald had an illegitimate kid with his maid? After all, this was the guy that got sued by a gaggle of women for sexual harassment. Please tell me no one's surprised.

The Weekly Message. As I mentioned yesterday, many expect the world to end tomorrow. Now, I don't put any stock in this whatsoever but if I happen to be wrong, I'd just like to let you know that you all rock. Thanks for reading and I'll see you on the other side.

The Weekly Question. If you were to write your memoir, what would you title it?

Posted by Chris at May 20, 2011 7:23 AM
Comments

I thought the world was supposed to wait until December 21, 2012 to end...at least according to the Mayan Calendar. Oh well, whatever the case, thanks for entertaining me for many years. I'm a lurker, but I've enjoyed your tales of life in the real lane.

As for a memoir...no clue. I'll have to give that one some thought.

Posted by: Michelle at May 20, 2011 7:44 AM

A few months ago Dick Van Dyke was on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" -- did you happen to catch it? If not, listen here: http://www.npr.org/2010/12/25/132315045/dick-van-dyke-plays-not-my-job It's awesome.

Posted by: Karen at May 20, 2011 8:01 AM

I'd like to call it "it's always something" but Gilda Radner already did that.

Have a good weekend - you and I will probably still be here on Monday.

Posted by: Ann Adams at May 20, 2011 8:08 AM

"The Brighter Side"

Posted by: Maribeth at May 20, 2011 9:18 AM

The Girl Under the Jesus Hair

Posted by: Emily at May 20, 2011 9:24 AM

Nope, no one's surprised! :-)

Posted by: shan at May 20, 2011 9:38 AM

Excellent weekly wrap-up. I actually have answer to weekly question b/c I'm of working on auto-bio graphic novel and my working title is: "AWKWAAARD!"

Unrelated question: you raved about a headphone you purchased recently. If possible, could you please reply here with name/model/make? I need a good noise-cancelling headphone and could use the recommendation.

Posted by: azita at May 20, 2011 10:57 AM

I was. There is a big difference between being accused of harassing women and what he did with his maid. My take is that the dude needs a great deal of reevaluation and therapy.

My memoir would be called how I survived having a train wreck as a mother or My sisters and I escaped from our lying mother.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at May 20, 2011 11:15 AM

I was actually thinking of this today. I'd call it:

So,

because I seem to start the majority of my written sentences with that word and that comma.

No one will be more surprised than I if the world ends tomorrow, and I'll be pissed because I won passes to a preview of the new Star Tours ride at Disneyland and they are for NEXT week!

Posted by: Brooke at May 20, 2011 11:40 AM

"Therapy Failed"

Posted by: Krush at May 20, 2011 11:46 AM

speaking of sexual harassment, what do you (and other bloggers) think about the French president of the IMF? Criminal or framed?

Posted by: viviane at May 20, 2011 1:42 PM

perfect memoir title--- What a Waste

Posted by: jules at May 20, 2011 2:17 PM

My memoir would be titled "I'm Not Dead Yet".

Posted by: Kris H. at May 20, 2011 4:15 PM

Her Own Worst Enemy (is herself)

Posted by: Jen, now in Arizona at May 20, 2011 4:17 PM

I'm with Viviane on this one - the Aaah-nald story has been virtually ignored here in France where every web page/newspaper/TV/radio headline is screaming about "DSK" (pronounced "day-ess-ka" in French)... Criminal or a set-up? Hard to say. The events as described kind of fit the reputation he has, although most of his "conquests" so far have been with colleague-y types, not chambermaids. If it's true, though, it seems to be remarkably stupid behaviour, even for a sex addict like he's claimed to be... So maybe a conspiracy after all. But THAT seems very elaborate. So, I don't know. It's livened up news over here though, I must say, and cartoonists/stand-up comedians are having a field day...
For my mémoir, I'd imagine the title would have to be something along the lines of "Alone in a crowd".

Posted by: Kirsty at May 20, 2011 5:32 PM

Well, if the world ends tomorrow just know that I enjoyed following you and your family around via net and thank you for sharing! I am in my second glass of wine shortly before we loose power for 10 hours so I have no title for my life's story. I do not think anyone is surprised but I wish the news would stop with the headlines, I get it. Now I will go enjoy what might be the last night I have with my husband and family (just in case the guy was right, but he has predicted this before right?)

Posted by: Shannon at May 21, 2011 12:35 AM

Dick Van Dyke. Yes. I am old enough to remember his TV show, and my mother took me to Mary Poppins when it was a new movie, showing in our theatre downtown. Arnie? No surprises there. Memoir? I thought a while on this one. I have worn so many different hats in my life, reinvented myself so many times, almost like a shapeshifter existence, that this could change again over time, but right now I am homesick for my hometown in Southwest Kansas, so it would be "Clicking My Heels"

Posted by: Julee at May 22, 2011 11:16 AM

I remember watching some sort of detective show with DVD (heh. Nice initials, Mr. Van Dyke!) and it was cheesy of course and I liked it.
I haven't the slightest idea what I'd title my autobiography...probably something snarky :P

Posted by: Heather at May 22, 2011 5:00 PM