May 27, 2011

The Weeklies #177

The Weekly Affliction. Fundamental lack of sleep.

The Weekly Disaster. Joplin, Missouri's population decreased by 357 people in seconds. 125 people died and 232 remain missing.

The Weekly Belt. Orange. Mia got her orange belt in karate this week. Owen better watch out.

The Weekly Offers. It's nearly summer and almost Father's Day which means the number of offers I get to review products or at the very least talk about products increased exponentially. The only thing worse is the politically or socially motivated emails imploring me to start a letter-writing campaign or call my senator about something to which I am diametrically opposed. And for some strange reason I'm on the distribution list for a conservative political action campaign that seems to want me to get behind everything from immediate offshore drilling to allowing guns on school campuses. Yeah. Right.

The Weekly Television. Oprah signed off and the latest American Idol was crowned. And I could literally not have cared less.

The Weekly Read. I've told this story before. When I was a kid, my dad handed me a pile of old sc-fi books and told me I should read them. I did and that's how I got hooked on books. One of the books in that pile was The Stars Like Dust by Isaac Asimov. It's always risky to go back and read books you previously loved. They could suck and totally ruin your fond memories. Luckily the gamble paid off. While it's not Asimov's strongest book, it's damn good fun and brought back some nice memories.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. It just keeps looking worse for Arnold. First, he knocks his maid and has two kids by two different women within the space of a week or two and now he's getting investigated for possible misuse of taxpayer funds and knocking up other women. That's women. Plural. Poor Maria.

The Weekly Feel Good. Comedian Lisa Lampanelli played Topeka earlier this month. The folks at Westboro Baptist Church decided to protest. Lisa made them a deal - she'd make a thousand dollar donation in their name for every person who came out to protest. To a gay charity. She made good on it, making a $50,000 donation to Gay Men's Health Crisis. I have no idea whether she's a good comedian or not but she kinda rocks.

The Weekly Question. What are your plans for the Memorial Day weekend?

Posted by Chris at May 27, 2011 6:43 AM
Comments

Eating lobster and clams and going to a Craft Festival!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 27, 2011 7:32 AM

Nothing special except lunch with a friend today and a backyard picnic tomorrow. I might watch a little of the Indy but I'm not a huge racing fan.

Had you heard that Westboro Baptist is now attacking the tornado victims in Joplin? And that Eric Cantor refused to send aid without concessions on "green" legislation? I don't know how that ended - hope the aid went through but holding victims hostage is obscene.

Try to sandwich in a little rest on your weekend for a change.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at May 27, 2011 8:49 AM

I live 20 miles from Topeka and those guys are a disgrace. I'm glad to hear someone decided to turn it around in their face for once!

Posted by: Heather at May 27, 2011 10:18 AM

lisa campinelli, that is amazing! arnold, that is the opposite...

Posted by: kati at May 27, 2011 10:21 AM

Guns on school campuses? Are you freaking kidding me? Sounds like something Caribou Bardbie Shakespalin would get behind.

Hooray for Lisa Lampanelli. I'd heard that story, hadn't heard what came of it. I'm originally from SW Kansas, and those people from Westboro make me ashamed to admit to being a sunflower state girl.

Plans? Babysitting... *yawn*

Posted by: Julee at May 27, 2011 10:24 AM

I got invited to two parties on two different days with college friends I haven't seen in FOREVER. There will be babies involved, I'm very excited. :)

And Lisa Lampanelli's "hardcore" standup is something Mia and Owen (...and Beth, ...and you) should never hear, and not particularly funny to me, but she did a good thing. Go her.

Posted by: alektra at May 27, 2011 11:54 AM

I watched Oprah's last show and found it to be one of the best hours of television I've ever seen. It should be required viewing in high school and for anyone who hopes to become a responsible adult.

Posted by: James Proffitt at May 27, 2011 12:17 PM

Lisa Lampanelli is performing here in a bit. Or maybe she's already been here. The club's billboard is updated...occasionally.

Tomorrow we're going to Disneyland for our aforementioned preview of the new Star Tours. Disneyland on Memorial Day weekend? Like nails on a blackboard. Preview of awesome new attraction? Worth it.

Sunday I'm hangin' with the fam and Monday I'm ditching all of them to have lunch with a woman I went to college with and whom I admire so very much and haven't seen in ten years, probably. Love Facebook!

Ahnold has turned out to be a total douche. At least he's not Governor anymore and just for the record, I didn't vote for him the first time, but the second time it seemed he was doing an OK job....

Posted by: Brooke at May 27, 2011 12:20 PM

I simply have no words for those Westboro folk. The loathing that forms within me at the mere mention of those people frightens me. Never heard of Lisa, but good on her.

As for Ahnold? Meh.

It is looking like this weekend is going to be a wash due to the weather. Hoping it is not though. We had spread out my Dad's ashes at a Civil War site here in town. The road up is awful after rain, so I am hoping it holds off so we can get up there. The view of our little town from up there is stunning. My dad would have LOVED the view..

Gonna camp out in the yard with the kidlet too, if the weather holds out. Gonna have a fire, roast marshmallows and just spend some time with the family. There will be a BBQ in there somewhere too. There are some things going on in town for Memorial Day as well, and we are hoping to partake in a few of those things as well. Hope everyone has a safe and great weekend.

Posted by: Jen at May 27, 2011 12:44 PM

Well since I live in Indy, I'm gonna listen to the race on the radio, yea that's right radio, it's always been blacked out on tv here, so it's an Indy tradition. My sister and my niece and nephew arrive Sunday eve so really looking forward to their arrival. Hope you guys kick back and relax and tell Beth I said hi!

Posted by: karen at May 27, 2011 1:13 PM

Lisa Lampanelli is kind of mean funny, but not my cup of tea. However, she fucking rocks for what she did. Eat that, Phelps!

It's supposed to rain here all weekend. The only thing I have planned is baby-sitting an almost 9-month-old tomorrow. And maybe some shopping!

Posted by: Stephanie at May 27, 2011 5:49 PM

Wow... $50K! That's awesome!

My plans are pet sitting for my bestie while she, her fiance, and his three kids spend the weekend at Disneyland.

Posted by: Debra at May 28, 2011 5:13 AM

My husband, when forwarded tea-party-ish emails from the conservative wing of his family, replies:

"since you know I disagree with you on this issue, for every email you forward to me I will donate $50 to [diametrically opposed charity]."

Awesome, and usually effective.

Memorial weekend plans: attend a parade, see the famdamily.

Posted by: Laura Gato at May 28, 2011 10:19 PM

I am so lucky to read your post!thank you!Milan Lucic Jersey

Posted by: NHL Jersey at June 2, 2011 12:15 PM