May 13, 2011

The Weeklies #175

The Weekly Odd Business Meeting. I attended a meeting this week with a woman who looked exactly like Paul Simon. Just noodle that through for a while.

The Weekly Sporting Activity. Tennis

The Weekly Agricultural Activity. We had our backyard gutted. The gardens that once looked lovely but quickly became overwhelming? Gone. We're planting grass. And, if the weeds return, we're going with astroturf. You think I'm joking.

The Weekly Read and Music. Unsurprisingly, given the fact that my calendar is completely out of control and the weather is now absolutely gorgeous, I didn't manage to make it through a book this week. Nor did I manage to absorb any musical brilliance. I know. I clearly need to focus on the important things.

The Weekly Medical Miracle. The headline says it all - Motorist Impaled by Pole Through Head Survives.

The Weekly Greatest Celebrity Story Ever (That I'm Not Making Up). True story. In the immediate aftermath of 9/11, Michael Jackson, Marlon Brando and Liz Taylor fled New York for Ohio in a rental car. Apparently they got along fabulously though Taylor and Jackson became somewhat annoyed at Brando's insistence that they stop at every KFC they saw. (Seriously, I'm not making this up.)

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Will Smith's "trailer" for the next iteration of Men In Black raised some eyebrows in NYC. Justifiably so. It's 53 feet long, two stories high, has marble floors, a giant master bedroom, a theater with 100-foot screen, and offices for his personal assistants. It got toed yesterday. His "workout trailer" (seriously) didn't. Whew.

The Weekly Question. You are forced to lose one of your senses. Which to you choose?

Posted by Chris at May 13, 2011 6:54 AM
Comments

taste -- maybe I'd finally start losing weight.

Posted by: Nancy at May 13, 2011 8:09 AM

Oh, definitely taste. Much of what we describe as 'tasting' is directly related to our sense of smell (which is why everything tastes like cardboard when we have a cold), so that's a no-brainer.

Posted by: J at May 13, 2011 8:25 AM

Taste. Then I wouldn't have to go to Weight Watchers anymore. As it is, I'm a Lifer.

Posted by: Maribeth at May 13, 2011 8:56 AM

I choose 'common'. It's the one I have least of.

Posted by: Martin at May 13, 2011 9:37 AM

Martin, LMAO! Too funny, but I think I'd agree with you there! And for the same reason.

Wow. Just wow at the dude with the pole through his head. He was so unbelievably lucky to survive that!

Chris, on your blogroll, please change my link from Tragic/Beautiful to PrettyCanHurt.com. Next month the tragicbeautiful URL is being sold to a girl who runs a business of that name selling pretty awesome alt/goth fashions.

Posted by: Debra at May 13, 2011 9:53 AM

Paul Simon is supposed to be the musical guest on SNL this weekend. Maybe they were filming a Digital Short with him in drag. Did you notice any cameras? Was Andy Samburg lurking nearby? Were there any laser cats around?

Posted by: Mike at May 13, 2011 10:14 AM

I'd probably go with taste. It would make eating so much less of a fuss. I could just eat based on texture and nutrition. I could maybe learn to love shrimp and beer!

Posted by: Brooke at May 13, 2011 11:44 AM

Oh, so much HATE for TASTE! I'm okay with losing my sights as long as I can feel, smell, taste, and hear. It'll be hard to cook, but I still can eat AND to hear music. My imagination can take care of the rest, I'm sure.

As for the grass, artificial grass these days look great and save you water. Look those up if you're serious.

Posted by: oakley at May 13, 2011 12:10 PM

I have to choose taste also. My mother-in-law lost most of her hearing in one ear and it was shocking how much that affected her quality of life.

Good luck with the yard.

I saw a story on Will Smith's trailers on The Today Show. Shockingly, wickedly excessive. Hard to imagine why he feels the need to travel with these wherever he goes.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at May 13, 2011 1:23 PM

I will give up my sense of REASON...it's pretty much all gone by now anyways.

Also, was that woman who looked like Paul Simon named Cecelia? Was she a Boxer? The Only Living Boy in New York?

Okay, I'm done now.

Posted by: Procrastamom at May 13, 2011 2:23 PM

I would give up my sense of smell. I'd miss out on smelling good stuff, but then I wouldn't have to smell bad stuff. LOL :)

BTW - the woman my dad married after my parents divorced looks exactly like Bob Dylan... imagine THAT.

Posted by: Manda at May 13, 2011 3:32 PM

I am legally Deaf. Wouldnt take it back for the world. Long story (some find compelling) if youd even care to hear (no pun) it. LOL
Hugs

Posted by: Cheryl at May 14, 2011 12:34 PM

One: smell. I know lots who do fine without it.

Two: Concrete. And. Paint. Even less worry, you can just sweep it.

Posted by: alektra at May 14, 2011 3:41 PM

Smell, there are many things I would rather not smell anyway. I want to see, hear, touch my family, I don't care what they smell like

Posted by: Shannon at May 16, 2011 12:09 AM