June 2, 2011

Discourse

Opinions are like assholes - everyone's got 'em. I get that. And I certainly don't begrudge anyone their opinions nor would I ever tell anyone what they should and shouldn't believe. But some people either cross the line or share way too much. Case in point, the car I was behind on the freeway this morning.

It was a white SUV with Colorado plates. Sandwiched between the Terrorist Hunting Permit and No You Can't bumper stickers was one that truly frightened me. Black text on a white background, it read, simply, Doctor Kevorkian for White House Physician.

There's a difference between expressing a political opinion and wanting someone dead. One is a right, the other is irresponsible. But its indicative of the sorry state of politics. Instead of talking about issues, we just call each other names in the hope that one off them sticks. I'm rubber, you're glue. Those of us who give a damn get shafted out of real political discourse. Fucking disgraceful is what it is.

Am I off-base? Does a bumper sticker like that cross some sort of line?

Posted by Chris at June 2, 2011 7:42 AM
Comments

It's tacky, stupid, and messed-up ... but unfortunately what's free for one (speech) is free for all. I did think there was some kind of moratorium on threats against the damn President. Doesn't the Secret Service frown on shit like that?

Posted by: Fraulein N at June 2, 2011 8:03 AM

Yes, to me, it definitely crosses a line. I reported the FB page awhile back that said something like, "Dear Lord, this year you took my favorite actor, my favorite... (blahblahblah)... I'd just like you to know my favorite President is Barack Obama". People will never admit it, (okay, some will, and proudly) but my own personal opinion is that deep down, it still scares the hell out of some 'white folks' to have a man of color in such a position of power and authority.

To the point of being unable to discuss politics without resorting to the name calling and worse, I hear ya. It's everywhere, and I will not usually discuss politics. However, I am crushing on an old high school chum I've 'rediscovered' lately who dislikes Obama with a passion, but we don't take each other's political views too seriously, we e-mail each other with POV articles that are in line with our own views, and call it 'tweaking each other's nose', and we can civilly discuss politics and agre to disagree, and it's amazing. He's amazing. Okay, that's off topic, but I just had to toss it in there!

Posted by: Julee at June 2, 2011 9:31 AM

It would be over the line even if the former unlamented President were the current President. I don't know how far someone can go without legally crossing the line though.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at June 2, 2011 10:07 AM

Totally crossed the line. I find it extremely disrespectful. I don't understand these type of people who will profess to be "patriotic" and then they say truly horrible things about our President. How is that patriotic? How does that make them the ultimate American? I think its disgraceful.

Posted by: Debbie at June 2, 2011 11:28 AM

Didn't you have a George W Bush t-shirt once with something on it.... I dunno was it a gunsight? I dont remember exactly but I dont think it was flattering. It's just a way to express their stupidity, stop being so sensitive.

Posted by: linda at June 2, 2011 12:00 PM

I am so lucky to read your post!thank you!
Milan Lucic Jersey

Posted by: NHL Jersey at June 2, 2011 12:13 PM

Well, I'm in the free speech camp, but I find that bumper sticker distasteful. I also find the majority of today's political "dialogue" distasteful. So much of that conversation is not about actual Americans and the hardships they are enduring.

Posted by: Brooke at June 2, 2011 1:07 PM

Only worse one I can think of is one I saw on a beater down in redneck Florida "Your Daughter is in the Trunk"

Posted by: Jesse at June 2, 2011 1:54 PM

Klassy.

I agree, it just makes reasonable discussion impossible.

Posted by: Jess at June 2, 2011 2:07 PM

I absolutely hate it when people make comments like that. It's so irresponsible and intolerant. I'd say let's get rid of those people, people that cannot fathom others with a different point of view. We're not all going to agree, in fact, disagreements are part of who we are: different & unique from each other, but when a disagreement reaches the point of wishing personal ill on another human being? That's my boundary.

Posted by: Carmen at June 2, 2011 4:15 PM

That bumper sticker is out of line - it was like awhile back when people were copy/pasting that status update on Facebook about wishing Obama was dead... You don't have to like the guy, that's fine. You can disagree with the man and his politics - but to wish him dead? It's DISGUSTING to me. I have *HATED* several other politicians... and I'd sure love for them to never be in the media again... but I'd never wish 'em dead.

It's just... yuck.

Posted by: sarah at June 2, 2011 8:12 PM

distasteful is one word for it. embarrassing is another. as in, i am truly embarrassed that i live in a country that has so many people like that taking advantage of their "right to free speech". ugh.

Posted by: kati at June 2, 2011 9:45 PM

I agree, it is out of line, it sums up what we have become as a society, just ugly, hateful and mean. We do a whole lot of arguing, but that is about it. Politics has become "agree with me or I hate you and hope you die because your a moron" than anything else. It is beyond depressing and thus far pretty freaking unproductive.

Posted by: Shannon at June 2, 2011 10:39 PM

Wishing him out of office is reasonable...wishing him dead? Absolutely crossing a line.

Posted by: Heather at June 4, 2011 10:00 AM

I get so pissed off when I see some of these redneck bumper stickers. And I'm sorry, that's what they are. The pro-life ones are some of the worst!

Posted by: Stephanie at June 5, 2011 10:10 AM

Let me first say that wishing anybody dead is bad.

However there is a clear double standard when it comes to wishing presidents dead. Where is the outrage about the movie actually showing W getting killed?

So bumper stickers bad, while "a thought-provoking critique of contemporary America" is just fine.

Posted by: Drew at June 6, 2011 10:33 AM