June 9, 2011

Field Day

Mia's annual Field Day/Bring Your Dad To School Day was this week. And of course, being a hopelessly devoted father to my little Bean, I took what I could of the day off and went. During the course of the day, I realized (or in some cases reconfirmed) several things.

Thing One. I have an almost phobic aversion school. I love Mia's school and adore her teachers but being back in a school setting, being part of the daily routine, having attendance taken, made me just a bit anxious. This isn't something new. I've avoided school like the plague since I graduated from college. I was always something of a reluctant student. Still am.

Thing Two. Kids are freakishly hilarious especially as a group. Going into Mia's class I felt how old explorers must have felt when they explored the Amazon basin and found a tribe of people who'd previously had no exposure to the outside world. They had a language and set of social rules and mores all their own. I caught on but got the feeling I was only scratching the surface.

Thing Four. Teachers - good teachers like Mia's this year - are horrifically under appreciated. Watching Mia's teacher teach was like watching a tennis pro return a serve or a doctor operate. Especially impressive since Mia's teacher is approximately 14 years old and shouldn't be nearly as good as she is.

That's what I learned from my kids this week. How about you?

Posted by Chris at June 9, 2011 6:24 AM
Comments

Watching my son this week get up every day to go to his summer Spanish class (taking 1 and 2 so he can graduate college on time next year), cook a healthy breakfast and pack a lunch for work right afterwards, come home go to the gym to work out AND be home at night at the time I ask all without a grumble makes me realize - I did alright! That's what I learned this week.

Posted by: NancyB at June 9, 2011 7:39 AM

The list of all the things I have learned is way too long but your #2 is definitely true and I love the explorer analogy. :)

Posted by: Claire at June 9, 2011 8:43 AM

My daughter, who just finished 1st grade, had a first year teacher this year and I was very worried. She turned out to be amazing! I wish she could come to second grade with her! I think some people are born to teach.

Posted by: linda at June 9, 2011 8:52 AM

I've learned it's going to be a looooong summer around these parts!

Posted by: Kris at June 9, 2011 8:58 AM

I learned that I never want to own a convertible, as my daughter's convertible topped car got stuck when she was trying to open it, and go home. Four hours later, her boyfriend picked her up and it'll be several hundred dollars to fix.
Nope, no convertible for me!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 9, 2011 9:15 AM

My kids have taught me to always bark at squirrels. :)

Posted by: Heather at June 9, 2011 11:23 AM

I did a bunch of field trips since leaving my company - and I learned #2 BIGTIME.

HOLY FREAKS.

Posted by: Aimee Giese | Greeblemonkey at June 9, 2011 6:29 PM

I was reminded that there are major differences between teenage girls and boys. My son is about month away from 16 and it is all about girls. He can't keep his mouth shut about them. Growing up in a household of just girls, I find the whole thing odd and hard to relate too.

Some things mothers really don't want to know.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at June 9, 2011 7:14 PM

I didn't learn anything new from my students at school this week, but I literally laughed out loud at this:

"Thing Three. The people who try to organize massive amounts of elementary school kids around twenty-something games are hopelessly optimistic people who have never tried to herd cats, or have tried but dont mind the sense of mild defeat."

I experienced something like that today -- our PTO organized a 'carnival' of games/prizes for the kids to attend this morning in our gym for the last day of school. It was, as you put it, like trying to herd cats. Fun to step back and watch, since we teachers were just there for behavior problems (crowd control). The parents ran the show. We had a few giggles amongst ourselves...

Posted by: ironic1 at June 9, 2011 7:53 PM

The neighbour of the kids I sit is amazing, she's a teacher and she just communicates with the kids so well and is really good at tantrum intervention ;-)

Posted by: Heather at June 10, 2011 11:28 AM

Not having kids, I can't comment on your question. But I can say thank you for realizing how under appreciated teachers are. Both of my parents teach, and I have such great respect for the profession. I personally think they're both great, and I know they don't get the recognition they deserve. I wish more parents would be like you!

Posted by: Stephanie at June 10, 2011 7:16 PM

I also learned Thing Three. I volunteered at my son's field day and helped run the games for his Kindergarten class. Total. Anarchy.
I guess that wasn't enough, though, because we then had 11 of them at our house the next day for a birthday party. I need a vacation.

Posted by: akofaolain at June 13, 2011 9:59 AM