June 13, 2011

On Your Marks

Mia's time trials for swimming were this weekend...and with that starts the summer swimming season.

Saturday mornings this summer will all play out the same way. We'll be up at six, furiously packing up everything we need for the long day ahead. We'll have the is it too hot for coffee, oh hell no it isn't debate. We'll throw on our team shirts. Invariably I'll bitch about something because this is an activity that requires me to be social and I don't like being social especially first thing on a Saturday morning. Then we'll head out the door, pack a neighborhood swimming pool, and cheer for our kids. And the entire team will gaze in wonder as Owen tries to eat a donut the size of his head.

Wednesday nights will be similar, complicated by the fact that I'll be freshly home from work and dinner will be something of an issue for all of us. We'll shove something marginally nutritious into our kids or just hope the pizza the home team snack bar ordered is decent. Then we'll cheer for our kids. When all is said and done, it will be dark and we'll be racing to get our kids clean before they fall asleep.

It'll be an interesting season. On Saturday, Mia - five years old, almost six - smoked some other kids in the eight and under category. I smell some blue ribbons. If not, there's always the fun of being with family and friends...not to mention those head size donuts.

What are you most looking forward to this coming summer?

Posted by Chris at June 13, 2011 6:40 AM
Comments

May I suggest Iced coffee? Tassimo's is pretty good. I buy the unflavored unsweetened T-discs and they are good.

Posted by: jodifur at June 13, 2011 7:40 AM

I'm going to be touring colleges with my son. Holy crap! I have a kid old enough to be thinking about which college he wants to go to. My daughter will be gone 2-3 weekends a month traveling with the VA State Horse Judging. Not really excited about my 15 year old daughter being away that much this summer, but somebody told me we have to let them grow up eventually. However, I will be spending a lot of Friday and Sundays driving to and from wherever it is in the state that we need to drop her off for the weekend.

Posted by: COD at June 13, 2011 8:29 AM

Funny I feel the same way about spring and fall soccer, but its all fun once I get there. I am sending my two daughters to camp for 3 days twice this summer. Except for the grandparents they have never been away from me, I am just about dying right now. Thats all I do is let go.

Posted by: Linda at June 13, 2011 8:55 AM

Fresh veggies from my garden and fresh fruit from my trees!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 13, 2011 9:06 AM

I'm just looking forward to things slowing down a bit. I'm the coordinator for our local soccer club and that keeps me hopping. Our current session ends in two weeks and I'll get a bit of a respite until the next session starts in August.

Our big vacation isn't until September - Disney! - so I guess that doesn't qualify as summer, but I am REALLY looking forward to it! The kids would be too if they knew about it ;)

Posted by: Elizabeth at June 13, 2011 9:30 AM

I'm looking forward to having some Me Time before I participate in a momentous event in July: birthing my first child (a boy)! Then, I'm off of work until Oct. 3rd. All in all, LOTS to look forward to this summer! :-D

Posted by: ironic1 (Gina) at June 13, 2011 9:39 AM

You guys are just awesome parents.

Posted by: Heather at June 13, 2011 9:51 AM

I'm kind of like that about the competitive gymnastics season. sigh.

I'm looking forward to my trip to SF to walk 39.3 miles to fight breast cancer (this includes a mosey across the Golden Gate Bridge - and even though it's beautiful, bridges are a fear of mine and I am hoping to not throw up).

Beyond that, I look forward to taking lots of pictures and either finding a job or actually getting a photography business off the ground. We'll see.

Posted by: Sarah at June 13, 2011 10:14 AM

Trying to come up with activities interesting enough to get 9 and 13 yr old g-kids off computer et al and out of the house. Vacation to U P to visit Zoo that was on Animal Planet last winter. My daughter n husband went there this spring. It is a more intimate zoo that lets you interact with the animals easier. Daughter (31) got to hold baby chimp. Saw a tiger from only 5 ft away, in more narural enviroment. Great experience for kids! Hint, hint, hint.

Posted by: joss is boss at June 13, 2011 11:40 AM

We do the same thing every Saturday during the spring for my son's wrestling. Because we live so far out of the city, we are normally up my 4:30 or 5:00. Always wonder what in the world we are thinking, but remember pretty quickly when he is kicking butt!!

Posted by: jj at June 13, 2011 3:09 PM

Seems crazy now but you'll miss it later on. I don't have to tell you to enjoy it while it lasts because it's obvious that you already do.

Posted by: Holly at June 14, 2011 12:10 AM

i'm a little jealous of your VA pool culture. my friend that lives out there, their summers are the exact same way. her daughter's time trials were the same day as mia's :)

the thing i'm looking forward to most this summer is introducing my kids to their great grandpa for the first time in iowa.

Posted by: kati at June 14, 2011 12:19 AM