June 10, 2011

The Weeklies #179

The Weekly Work Annoyance. Five hour meetings. Especially two them back to back.

The Weekly Sign of the Returning Summer. Swim team is back. Mia's already getting tan and blonder. Time trials tomorrow!

The Weekly Infestation. There was a mouse in our house. We know this because it got caught in a glue trap intended for insects. Poor guy. I'm more disturbed by the fact that he was killed than the fact that he was in our house to begin with.

The Weekly Read. Steve Hamilton - noted mystery author - crafted something truly special when he wrote The Lock Artist. I've never read anything else by the man so I'm not sure if it's an anomaly but I'm positive that it's the output of a talented author. The Lock Artist tells the fascinating tale of a safe cracker. It's rife with tales of his jobs but the more poignant tale is his own personal one - the one that made him stop talking at age eight. The story is really well told, utterly captivating, and instantly likable. High marks for this one.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Twitter-Perv Anthony Wiener in the Weekly Schadenfreude.

The Weekly Music Question. In the absence of any musical discussion this week, I have to first acknowledge that I'm in something of a musical rut. So, what are you listening to lately?

Posted by Chris at June 10, 2011 7:55 AM
Comments

Mumford and Sons.

Posted by: Debbie at June 10, 2011 8:54 AM

Ah, music...I've been on a music kick for the past couple of months!

Some of my favorites right now: Adele, Matt Nathanson, Paul Simon (always a favorite!), Foster the People. I'm listening to a lot of classic rock (I'm taking guitar lessons, so listening for songs I want to play) and alternative radio. I'm loving a lot of the new stuff I'm hearing.

Posted by: cyndy at June 10, 2011 9:08 AM

Oh, and I second Debbie...Mumford & Sons are awesome!

Posted by: cyndy at June 10, 2011 9:09 AM

Decemberists

Posted by: J at June 10, 2011 9:10 AM

2nd on Mumford and Sons.....

Chris, when in a musical rut, it is time to change it up a bit. Grab Business Time by Flight of the Conchords.

Buke and Gass is a difficult but rewarding listen.

Maybe it is time to break-out a little Gentle Giant -- The Power and the Glory still makes me appreciate everything else in my collection a little more...

Scott

Posted by: at June 10, 2011 9:15 AM

Musically, I have done a bad bad thing: I went to the dark side and started listening to Country music. BUT, to its credit, there are some good bands out there. Specifically, Zac Brown band and the Eli Young Band. Also, Josh Turner.

Posted by: Claire at June 10, 2011 10:56 AM

I too have enjoyed Mumford and Sons. I'm also listening to Owl City's newest, and Adele.

Posted by: Heather at June 10, 2011 11:12 AM

BON JOVI!!
I am Deaf and lost my hearing at age 12. I wear cochlear implants and can hear music..BUT I listen to ALL 80's music since that is what I remember pre-deafness. My 3 year old can sing the entire "You Give Love a Bad Name" I am a proud Old School Momma!

Posted by: Cheryl at June 10, 2011 11:18 AM

Death Cab For Cutie's latest, Codes and Keys, is excellent. My wife and I have tickets to see them here in Toronto in July. I am also liking the Decemberists latest and their back catalog as I have only just discovered them. I am on a bit of a Black Crowes bent lately as well as I was listening to the radio in my car one day and heard one of their songs and realized that I did not have any of their stuff on my iPod. Another one out there is Devotchka. I really love their diversity. My wife always gives me strange looks when I play them however. And there are a ton more but I can't recall them right now.

Posted by: Mike at June 10, 2011 11:31 AM

You know it's Weiner, not Wiener, right. I mean, it IS Weiner's wiener that showed up on Twitter, so I can see how people get confused.

This week I'm listening to Barcelona's "Absolutes" and The 88's, uhhhh, newest record (both on iTunes). On the way to see my friends in the the Hard Ponys at the Cat Club on Sunset last Friday, we stopped in at the Hotel Cafe, and these two bands were playing. Good indie stuff, heavy on the acoustic guitars and piano. They were great live.

Posted by: Brooke at June 10, 2011 12:00 PM

Weiner made for excellent vidcaps, though:

The latest from Fleet Foxes and Foo Fighters are pretty spectacular. Paul Simon's latest is impressive, to no one's surprise. That dude just gets better with age (like a fine cheese). Gomez has a new one releasing later this month, as well. If you've never had the pleasure, I highly recommend them and could DropBox you some of their stuff as a primer if you're interested.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at June 10, 2011 12:15 PM

i am sitting in a starbucks doing some editing. while at the counter, i just bought the new eddie vedder ukelele songs. i have no idea if it's good or not. i considered just checking it out and buying a song or two online instead. and then i thought about the irony, as a girl who grew up in the 90s in the NW listening to eddie vedder and pearl jam and who never thought he would have "sold out" (even though, i'm in a starbucks, clearly i don't have too many concerns about selling out) and here he is... i just had to buy the full CD and support him. it seemed like the right thing to do :)

Posted by: kati at June 10, 2011 1:44 PM

Haven't had time. Been busy, working.

Posted by: Maribeth at June 10, 2011 2:35 PM

have a new baby in the house so the music I get to listen to is whatever hubby is playing on his PC. The current favourites are Rammstein (primarily their albumn called Mutter - has some of their best stuff), 3 Days Grace, Alter Bridge and the Queen of the Damned soundtrack.

Posted by: Delia at June 11, 2011 2:06 PM

In a rut as well so my current play list is something similar to what a rock station in the 70s pumped out. I blame it on the young kids in my house who have left me doing anything possible to chase away the sounds echoing from their room, currently Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and cover your ears.....Justin Beiber

Posted by: Shannon at June 13, 2011 12:06 AM

Im listening to Adele, Paloma Faith, and Duffy.

Posted by: Elizabeth Hernandez at June 13, 2011 9:41 AM

New Arctic Monkeys. (and old Arctic Monkeys).

Posted by: akofaolain at June 13, 2011 9:56 AM