July 27, 2011

Fed Up

I'm...something. I guess dismayed is the right word for it.

Many people avoid politics, talking about it, debating it, paying attention to it. I can understand to some extent. It's sometimes pretty tough to see just how actions that the White House or Congress take impact you in a real, individual way.

The debt ceiling issue is dominating headlines. Folks are either passionate about it or dismissive of it. It's divisive. Everyone has opinions about our country's fiscal responsibilities and how we should handle our money. But we're talking about trillions of dollars. That's hard to relate to. So we tune out. But we shouldn't because this is one issue that directly impacts each of us in a real way. And we shouldn't let the politicians use our future as a tool for grandstanding.

You know I'm liberal. I favor the democrats. It won't surprise anyone that I think the Republicans take the majority of the blame. If I'm to be completely honest, though, it's the Democrats too. Hell, it's the system. And in this fight, no group is coming out smelling nicer than another.

In a really well-done piece, Simon Johnson from Slate summarized the issue the best:

The House and Senate Republicans who do not want to raise the debt ceiling are playing with fire. They are advocating a policy that would have dire effects, and that would accomplish the opposite of what they claim to want. A default would immediately make the government more, not less, important. The only law that Congress cannot repeal is the law of unintended consequences.

The question isn't what's wrong? We know the answers to that - money, power, special interests, ego. The question is who can lead us out of this mess?. Obama doesn't seem to have the balls for the job and there's no democrat who could touch him in an election. And the only Republican contenders who have any sort of voice are ultra-right wing nutballs who try to rewrite history with every speech and can't admit when they're wrong.

I am very rarely hopeless. It's not in my nature. But it is impossible for me to be hopeful about politics in America right now. I fucking love this country in the most blue-blooded of ways. I'm thankful that I was born an American. I can't believe my luck. But what's happening now? It just ain't right.

Posted by Chris at July 27, 2011 7:56 AM
Comments

Agreed. What frightens me is the decisions made this week will set up our country for either a rebuilding or a continued down turn for many years to come. The rest of the world is watching. I really believe the life of our country is at stake. Unfortunately, the one's in DC (minus you) are so short sighted they can't see passed their ability to be re-elected.

Posted by: Debbie at July 27, 2011 8:11 AM

For once, you and I agree on politics. This country is going in the wrong direction fast because there isn't a leader that can stand up and fix things. I have never really fit into one side of the other as some of my views are liberal and some are extremely conservative but I agree with you that Obama doesn't have the stones to do this job but there doesn't appear to be anyone right for the job on the Republican ticket as well. What the hell is this country going to do??

Posted by: Darren at July 27, 2011 9:05 AM

It isn't about the deficit; it's part of a nationwide plan led by the Koch Bros and a group called "ALEC" http://alecexposed.org/wiki/ALEC_Exposed to 1) destroy Obama no matter what it takes (including bringing the country down around our ears) and 2)destroy Democracy as we know it. The dozens of almost identical restrictive bills being passed in the states, beginning with Wisconsin, are their handiwork.

And don't forget Grover Norquist and his "no tax, no matter what" pledge. Personally I think that any politician who swears an oath to an individual in order to be elected should be ridden out of town on a rail.

Meantime, I cross my fingers and hope I'm not homeless by this time next month.

Posted by: ann adams at July 27, 2011 10:55 AM

Yup. My Facebook status yesterday was sadly:
"I have lost faith in my government."

Posted by: Heather at July 27, 2011 11:07 AM

Word.

I am so disappointed with Obama and I haven't the words to describe how I feel about the Republicans. I'm sick to my stomach watching the country swing from the middle to the far, extremist, right. There is so much misinformation being reported as fact.

The thing is, I don't think that we, the people of the United States are THAT far right or left. I think most of us hover in the Clinton middle.

Keeps me up at night.

Posted by: Beth at July 27, 2011 12:47 PM

Very well said - I agree! I am just sick over this - it seems as if folks on both sides have confused what the folks that elected them ACTUALLY want with their ideal of what is wanted.

Posted by: Sue R at July 27, 2011 1:17 PM

I agree also. I think the politicians are too worried about getting reelected to do what is right about just about anything.

Posted by: Beth Anne at July 27, 2011 1:40 PM

Agreed. Total ratf**k in DC these days. Too much politics, not enough business being done. It's disgusting, on both sides.

Posted by: cyndy at July 27, 2011 2:06 PM

I have to confess a certain amount of ignorance about all this (yes, I could find the information but... I'm tired, I'm overworked, I'm broke and I'm possibly quite naturally lazy...), especially as it has attracted pretty much zero attention here in France. What I do notice is that my few good friends in the US - essentially three, one in San Francisco, one in Brooklyn and one in Virginia - are all (without knowing each other) putting the same things, more or less, on their FB posts: so disappointed in Obama, so scared of the lunatics in the Republican party, so worried about the lack of alternatives and so stressed about the future.
It's scary to read - we all know that when bad shit goes down in the US, it inevitably hits here a short time later and I'm already in up to my neck in debt and stress and depression.
I have no idea what the solution is (which is normal, as I'm not really sure what the whole thing is about) but am praying that common sense can prevail so that we can avoid another cataclysmic economic downturn...

Posted by: Kirsty at July 27, 2011 6:02 PM

Voting doesn't mean a thing anymore. At least the Republicans make it clear that they want to drive us off a bridge... just too bad about the person assisting them behind the wheel, but the back seat does have doors.

Posted by: Looking2travel at July 27, 2011 7:28 PM

Ironic isn't it? Since Obama won the election with a campaign of hope... and now there seems to be less of it than ever.

What has me flabbergasted and frustrated is the way politicians on both sides, but particularly Republicans, keep spouting rhetoric about "It's clear that what the American people want is..." or "The American people sent us here to..." when it's SO OBVIOUS that they aren't listening to a damn thing the American people are ACTUALLY SAYING.

It's like they think they're supposed to tell us what we want, instead of listen to it. What kind of democracy is that?

Posted by: Amy at July 27, 2011 10:02 PM

Yep. I too am fed up with all politicians. I used to care so much and believe that the right people could make a difference. Now I've lost faith in Obama and the Democrats and I'm horrified by the likes of Michelle Bachmann and John Boehner.

Posted by: hillary at July 28, 2011 10:35 AM

With luxe style, some [url=http://www.shopmoncler-online.com/]Moncler 2011[/url] pieces are designed with sumptuous fur-trimmed hood. Put ultra-warm [url=http://www.shopmoncler-online.com/]Moncler Doudoune[/url] on your back to stop winter chills. Wear [url=http://www.shopmoncler-online.com/]Moncler Online[/url] down jackets in midwinter. You will love practical and luxurious jackets from [url=http://www.shopmoncler-online.com/]Moncler Outlet[/url].

Posted by: Moncler Outlet at August 17, 2011 5:19 AM

With luxe style, some Moncler 2011 pieces are designed with sumptuous fur-trimmed hood. Put ultra-warm Moncler Doudoune on your back to stop winter chills. Wear Moncler Online down jackets in midwinter. You will love practical and luxurious jackets from Moncler Outlet.

Posted by: Moncler Outlet at August 17, 2011 5:21 AM

Je l'ai fait .... Je suis s?r! Keep it up!

Posted by: Moncler Outlet at September 8, 2011 3:35 PM

Some jackets at North Face Outlet are highly waterproof. And some are great windtight ones. Well, the articles at The North Face Outlet are all splendiferous. In a nutshell, you should have one North Face Outlet Sale if you often stay outside in cold weather.

Posted by: The North Face Outlet at September 10, 2011 2:09 AM

Moncler brief coat are generally founded for at the same time sexes and really moncler jackenare a evidence on the process brute within of the baby, that will be substantially prized by all. every particular person and all people who are the owners of a moncler jacketsMoncler crown knows just what exactly process is actually and holding these forms of apparels is usually a marking from the classy and also sassy man or woman.

Posted by: moncler jackets at November 25, 2011 10:50 PM