July 19, 2011

The End of an Era

We've been in our house for three years next month. Most of it is just the way we want it though there are some things we want to change. Like gutting the kitchen. But there are a couple of things we'd like to do that don't involve demolishing half our downstairs area and eating dinner in the garage for three months. One of them is a basement office for me.

More and more, I find myself working from home. While I have an office area secluded from the house in the basement, it's a far cry from a real office with dedicated working space, lighting and, well, a door. So my music room is becoming an office and since I've managed to rip every CD I own, all but my most precious CDs are going into boxes.

This is slightly traumatic.

I've always loved my CD collection. It started in junior high school (though admittedly, I started feeding my habit with cassettes) and continued to grow throughout high school, college and beyond. Now most of my purchases are digital and downloaded and my entire collection sits on a regularly backed up hard drive about the size of a small hardback book. Time marches on, I suppose, but I do miss flipping though album artwork, reading the liner notes, seeing who played on the album. That said, they're bulky and really don't fit well anywhere. The 21 beer boxes I've filled with CDs attest to that...as well as the fact that I might drink too much beer.

Posted by Chris at July 19, 2011 7:43 AM
Comments

This move, I left my CD cases at home. Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm *separate* from my *CD's*! This is, in a word, shocking to me.

Ten years ago, I think if I had to chose between fighting a guy with a gun for my CD's or giving them to him knowing I'd survive, it'd be a close call...

Posted by: alektra at July 19, 2011 7:49 AM

I know what you mean. I used to have almost 1200 CDs, but finally decided a year ago to sell most (except about 100 favorites) to a used CD store because they were all ripped to my iTunes and frankly, I needed the money to pay some medical bills.

Posted by: Heather at July 19, 2011 8:30 AM

Oh, I hear ya. I had stacks and stacks of CDs that I ended up selling years ago. Even though they were all ripped, and it had been a while since I had played a physical disk, it was still painful to get rid of them. They did help pay for a good portion of my wedding and honeymoon, however.

Posted by: J at July 19, 2011 9:10 AM

I still have my CDs but I let go of my vinyl collection when I moved 4 years ago. Almost broke my heart but I needed the space. Did keep the player though; just in case.

Don't listen to the CDs all that much. Most of what's there I can find on YouTube which is simpler. I've though about copying them all to the computer but it's very time consuming so I don't.

Posted by: ann adams at July 19, 2011 10:22 AM

I hear you, loud and clear! The last CD I bought was Daughtry's Leave This Town -- only because I wanted to be able to play it in my car without having to connect my iPod to my car radio. (Also? I didn't feel like burning my own CD with .mp3 files. Call me lazy.)

However, I'm not sure I'll ever buy a CD again, as I've definitely gone the way of downloading my music. The vast majority of my CDs are in large CD wallets -- with just the cover booklet and the CD -- I had to debulkify (new word) my collection a number of years ago, before downloading music was where it's at, so I opted for that option and got rid of the majority of the jewel cases. Perhaps a bad move, perhaps not, but it can't be undone now.

I'm having a slightly similar experience with books right now... I now have a Kindle (which I totally *heart*), but there IS something I miss about the look, feel, and smell of the actual books. Granted, I don't miss the bulk of the books (or when they hit me in the face because I fell asleep while reading in bed -- the Kindle isn't nearly as harsh when it meets my face), but I think you know what I mean.

*sigh* It's hard growing up, no???

Posted by: ironic1 (Gina) at July 19, 2011 11:07 AM

I'm still impressed that you ripped ALL of your CDs. That's amazing.

As for your beer consumption, clearly you HAD to drink that much so you'd have enough boxes for your CDs.

Posted by: Dawn at July 19, 2011 1:07 PM

So, my confession.

My cds are all in cd books. All of them. The summer project was to rip them all. I have yet to start.

The cd jewel cases are all in boxes. And I can't part with them. They have been in boxes for years. Lover is starting to call the boxes of cd jewel cases "your hoard."

OUCH.

Posted by: Mindy at July 19, 2011 1:10 PM

I miss album art as well. Maybe the information on a CD is the same as for an album, but something feels different. The cover USED to be such a THING and now? It's not. Sure, CDs are easier to carry in the car, but....there's something about an album that makes my generation feel very lucky to have had them.

Posted by: Schadenfreude Warehouse at July 19, 2011 3:30 PM

Still a total Luddite here - no iPod, never had any kind of MP3 thingy, so lots of CDs and I still listen to a handful every single day. I do have an iTunes account, and I have downloaded (I think) 3 albums on special offer that I couldn't afford to treat myself to in CD format, but that's it (you have to remember that without iPods etc. anything downloaded can only be listened to on the computer which isn't practical for me). I also sucked it up and created two playlists on my brand new Spotify open account yesterday, but I can still only listen to them on the computer, so it's not a great advantage.
I love CD notes and artwork, the photos and lyrics... I can't imagine going "all download" at any point in the near future!

Posted by: Kirsty at July 19, 2011 4:14 PM

I keep thinking about selling all my old cd's i have them all ripped on itunes and have not touched a physical disc in years i must have 1000 albums if i only got £1 per disc thats still a lot of cash.

Posted by: jon at July 19, 2011 4:46 PM

Hey, we just redid our kitchen. Not down-to-the-studs, but all new full-custom cabinetry (great cabinet shop nearby - designed my own door style!) and a few new appliances. Day 1 - remove old kitchen cabinets and appliances and send off to Habitat for Humanity. Remove floor tiles. Remove door frame. End of day one - empty, echoing kitchen with some new electrical outlets.

Day nine? Finished. Completely. No kidding. I hired the cabinet maker as the GC, and he was in and out with some of the most professional, quality subs ever.

It can be done! Do all your homework, make all your choices and have all the appliances ready with the specs to the GC. We made a few minor changes in the midst - like a keyboard sliding shelf for our toaster....

Oh, and the best part? About what I would have paid for any manufactured cabinets, off-the-shelf. I just sat back and wrote checks....

Posted by: bhd at July 20, 2011 1:11 AM

Whether it is a customized announcement or more home-made fun and crafty announcement, it's really important that the two of you get involved of this together as it would be the first time your friends and family witness this collaboration.

Posted by: save the dates magnets at July 20, 2011 1:53 AM

Die Produktion der verschiedenen Materialien nutzt japanischen Stoff gemeinsam mit Ramie.

Posted by: Cheap Tory Burch Flats at July 23, 2011 8:40 AM

Posted by: Cheap Tory Burch Flats at July 23, 2011 8:41 AM

There are just about a good deal of styles of watches with diverse rates, some are even acceptable. Some amass wrist watches no make a difference how expensive they are and this is why Cartier see selling price is intended for.There are plenty of tactics to acquiring incredibly fashionable as properly as lavish cartier glasses and it is dependent on your personal fiscal standing. It is also fundamental that you believe about the worth that you' will receive for that volume of income a particular person offers and 1 low-cost strategy to attain the cartier eyeglasses is often to get a reproduction as they are inexpensive and look like the special merchandise. Nonetheless, you might want to cease as well as acquire into account the higher excellent linked connected with materials which are utilized and the common is heading to be a scaled-down sum in contrast to the initial see and the bulk of replications aren't provided possessing a guarantee that could flip out to be pricey about time. Between the best strategies to be a Cartier proprietor, if you fail to shell out for to acquire a replacement would be to lookup for utilized or even pre-owned cartier watch since a fast make an online research employing the exact model no. provides you with some great results but observe out for cons as very well as really check out the supply that you're getting via prior to delivering nearly anything.

Posted by: cartier bracelet at August 10, 2011 6:11 AM