July 15, 2011

The Weeklies #180

The Weekly Option. Read or listen.

The Weekly Beer. 400 Pound Monkey.

The Weekly Technology Obsession. As I mentioned a while back, I bought a Mac. It's taken some time but I think I'm over the learning curve. And I love it. It's actually ruined me for all computers including the slow, bloated work laptop I have to use everyday.

The Weekly New Technology. I really have no earthly idea what I should do with Google+. That's not going to stop me from using it though.

The Weekly Read. James Patterson is undeniably the world's most prolific writer, churning out thriller after thriller, sometimes flying solo, occasionally teaming with other authors. I've read a lot of his books none ever blew me away. They're entertaining - like an action flick or a Train album - but they're not deep or particularly thought provoking. Until now, that is. Kill Me If You Can, due August 29th, is a solid, brilliantly plotted and well-executed thriller. Of course, it helps that it was co-authored by Marshall Karp who is not only one of my favorite writers but also a friend. But when I try to be completely unbiased, the book holds up well. It's a much different book than what you expect from Marshall if you've read his Lomax & Biggs books. This difference, however, makes it abundantly clear just how good an author he is. Kill Me If You Can reinforces the fact that Marshall doesn't have to rely on one-liners and witty cop banter to craft a good, solid story. This is, without doubt, the best Patterson book I've read. The difference? Marshall Karp.

The Weekly Music. I've always been a big Gomez fan so I was pretty pleased when I heard they had a new one coming out. But when I listened to it - Whatever's On Your Mind - I couldn't help being a little disappointed. Why? Well, when I bought the first Gomez album many years ago, I thought man, these guys would be great if they put a little more polish on their albums. Since they've become more mainstream they've done just that, producing slick, polished albums that retain just enough roughness to sound authentically Gomez. But Whatever's On Your Mind goes too far. It's not bad, it's just too mainstream, too slick. Gone is some of the band's personality which is a shame because they certainly have a big one.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I'm a little concerned about the debt ceiling. Granted, I'm not totally sure what the debt ceiling is but I have the feeling we're all going to suffer for it.

The Weekly Question. What's the best thing you're listening to right now?

(The Weekly Song, for those of you not listening to the podcast, is Without Love by Satchel featuring one of my favorite vocalists of all time, Shawn Smith who has a voice that wraps you in a warm blanket and makes you love music all over again.)

Posted by Chris at July 15, 2011 7:47 AM
Comments

I LOVE THE INTRO. My uncle and I used to listen to Peter Gabriel's "So" on my grandparents' tape deck sound system when I was little, and we would BLAST that part.

I thought you had already commented on Gomez? Or am I just psychic? I even remember the same words.

Audioblog - I have the same passion for it that I did before. Of course, it's a no brainer to me if I, God forbid, had to pick between blind and deaf. Please, please, please keep doing it. It's really awesome. If I could audio-comment, I would. I might write a song to audioblogging greatness, if that's what it takes.

Hope you guys are doing well and birthday plans for Mia are shaping up. Like I said, the Boy will be in town that weekend, so let us know if you have the time. We will be renting (gasp) a car for part of the weekend, at least.

Posted by: alektra at July 15, 2011 8:18 AM

I still love the podcasts. Reading is great because it's polished and proofread and perfect. I like hearing your voice and the little bits and pieces you include off the top of your head. It's easier to hear when you are finding something frustrating or silly when you are speaking as opposed to writing. I really do like the podcasts for a change. Happy weekend!

Posted by: kfrag at July 15, 2011 8:48 AM

I suspected that the Patterson/Karp book was what you were referring to last week. I love Patterson, alone or teamed. You describe it perfectly - not earth-shattering great, but fun reads. I've enjoyed most, I've a few I think he could have done better with. I'll be picking up this book soon (I'm about three JP books behind right now...I almost wish he'd slow down!).

As for what I am listening to these days...Matt Nathanson, Foster the Children, Peter Bjorn and John. And some oldies I re-discovered: Jesus Jones and Soup Dragons.

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: cyndy at July 15, 2011 9:39 AM

Multiple Items:
- The beer made me laugh
- I'm curious on your PC-to-Mac conversion
- I cannot figure out Google+ either. So far? I think it's dumb.
- "I will talk to you on the flipside. WOW that sounded cheesy..." I laughed. Out loud. At my desk. It bordered on embarrassing.
- I love that you're including a song at the end. Totally rad.

Posted by: Emily at July 15, 2011 10:40 AM

Wow. I missed last week and I listened today and it blew my mind up. I didn't realize I had an expectation of what your voice would sound like until I heard your voice. And that was not it.

Besides the fact that my brain can't calibrate that's what you sound like, I love the podcast idea. I kind of want to steal it, except I hate the sound of my voice. And I have no idea how to do it.

I got a Mac three years ago and my hard drive already died. I didn't even realize it b/c my work computer is so slow I just assumed all computers, even Macs eventually lost speed. Also the dying hard drive made no noise (when my PC died there was a grinding noise that was unmistakeable). But the hard drive indeed crashed. I also still am not 100% clear on how to do everything even though it's been 3 years.

In general I like it, but it hasn't blown my mind. Biggest pet peeve, no right click to close option for things open and minimized in the dock. I have a tendency to leave many things open and forget about them. When it comes time to clear that out I have to systematically re-maximize each thing to hit the red x button. So much useless mousing. It makes me mental.

Posted by: Tracy at July 15, 2011 4:25 PM

Okay. All these years. Almost 10, actually.

I did NOT have your voice sounding that way in my head!!! Almost a whole decade and now my brains are scrambled because I listened to the podcast!

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at July 15, 2011 5:53 PM

Yay Marshall props ;-) I put a hold on it from the library. (I bought two books for the plane ride(s) home from Dublin, read both in the first leg of my trip and realized, oh right, I really can't afford to buy books...)

Posted by: Heather at July 15, 2011 10:05 PM

The ceiling concerns me as well. Even though I'm not sure what it means, unless you're talking about the one in my house. I'm wasting my Sunday in a frightful way. And you?

Posted by: Schadenfreude Warehouse at July 17, 2011 3:34 PM

Love the option to listen or read, although you sound different to what I thought you would :-) But great job on the podcast & I love that you include a song at the end - very cool.

Posted by: Delia at July 17, 2011 9:33 PM

Oh, it has been some time since I have heard Satchel.

I love the podcast -- one major request, never break out the telephone poles recordings....never ever.

Scott

Posted by: at July 18, 2011 9:20 AM

Whether it is a customized announcement or more home-made fun and crafty announcement, it's really important that the two of you get involved of this together as it would be the first time your friends and family witness this collaboration.

Posted by: save the dates magnets at July 20, 2011 2:02 AM