July 8, 2011

The Weeklies - The Audio Edition

Once upon a time I gave audioblogging a shot. And then I stopped. Why? Well, there was the inevitable time commitment but that was pretty minor. What really stopped me was two-fold.

Fold 1 - I sound like a dork.
Fold 2 - I'm not all that funny when I don't have the benefit of hiding behind a keyboard and some heavy editing.

But I've put all these things aside at least for this week. I give you The Weeklies Podcast.

Now pardon me while I go cringe.

(If you don't see the little Flash player above, feel free to download the file.)

Posted by Chris at July 8, 2011 7:46 AM
Comments

I liked it. Although you don't sound like I expected (and don't ask what I expected, 'cause I don't really know), but you definitely don't sound like a dork. I liked your musical selection too and agree that the summer is flying by.

Posted by: Elizabeth at July 8, 2011 8:28 AM

Sweet - it's kind of nice to put a voice with the post. I actually liked it!!

Posted by: kfrag at July 8, 2011 8:31 AM

You def don't sound how I expected lol but I'm digging it :D

Posted by: Kris at July 8, 2011 9:18 AM

Ok, who is it by?

The biggest downside to podcasts is that I actually have to listen to everything instead of just skimming over the bits that I don't find as interesting.

I liked that more than half of the podcast was a song. A nice song, too!

Posted by: Hannah at July 8, 2011 9:29 AM

Strangely, you sounded like I thought you would! I agree with you that the summer is flying by and I am just not sure I'm ready for it to end (which I know it will do before I know it!).

Posted by: Maribeth at July 8, 2011 9:37 AM

loved it...I REALLY wanna know what book you are reading!

LOVE the song. Yep, also can't believe it's already July. But am looking forward to my vacation in a week! Then I'll be sad that the summer is half over!

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: cyndy at July 8, 2011 9:37 AM

Don't cringe--I actually put my sorry-assed attempts at cover tunes up on the interwebs for people. I rather enjoyed this. And I now have another song to look up. Thanks. :)

Posted by: Martin at July 8, 2011 10:08 AM

Very enjoyable! PodCactus!

Posted by: James Proffitt at July 8, 2011 10:52 AM

Can't listen at work :(
I'll be the dissenter here and say I like to read blogs. I'm a visual person. I can't do podcasts or audio books because I don't pay attention. My mind wanders, I need to be doing something else and then I have no idea what was said for the past 15 minutes.

Posted by: Lisa at July 8, 2011 10:57 AM

Yeah, I really didn't expect you to sound like that. But I'm with Lisa - I'm definitely a reader.

Posted by: Heather at July 8, 2011 11:08 AM

I'm totally digging that song! Happy Friday.

Posted by: Claire at July 8, 2011 12:56 PM

I agree with Hannah...I like reading so I can skim what I'm interested in without having to pay attention to it all.

Have a great weekend!!

Posted by: Krush at July 8, 2011 1:09 PM

ahh , dont stop writing . I read you at lunch

Posted by: michelle at July 8, 2011 1:29 PM

I think we ALL have some degree of 'dork' in us, so if you put that aside, you sounded 'normal'!!!

While I'm used to listening to pod casts (my husband listens to Kevin Smith's pod casts religiously), I do like to have the text of what you're listening to or reading so I can reference them without needing to listen or re-listen. Speaking of which, I *need* to know what book you're currently reading -- no keeping us in suspense! ;o)

Overall, not a bad idea (pod cast), and I would not have listened to that song on my own... (I don't know how you find some of these bands!) but I liked it.

So, rock on with your dork self, and I'll do the same. ;o) Have a great weekend!

Posted by: ironic1 at July 8, 2011 1:32 PM

I liked hearing your voice! I'm with the others by saying your voice is not what I expected but digging it.
Thanks for the new music!

I'm a reader but hearing you every once in a while is cool!

Posted by: kali at July 8, 2011 3:34 PM

Why did I think you would be much more nasally...and uptight (just because you vaguely resemble Jon Cryer doesn't mean you will sound like him. Thank God.)? I didn't expect you to have such a deep voice and soooo mellow sounding. Loved it. And the song too. I think this is great and fun to do every now and then.

Posted by: Debbie at July 8, 2011 5:48 PM

The comments are fairly split between those who thought your voice would be different and those who thought you sounded as they expected. I'm in the latter group and I have no idea why people have expectations of these things, but we do and here we are. :-)

So how do I go about adding you to my Goodreads friends list? Is that weird? I usually go there anyway to find out more about books you mention and then add them to my 'to-read' list (or not, as the case may be). Being "friends" would make it a lot easier.

Have an excellent weekend!

Posted by: shan at July 8, 2011 5:52 PM

AUDIOBLOG FOREVER!!!! How happy am I right now? HAPPY. And I had a BITCH of a week.

And Beth and Mia and Owen should do the same. ;)

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Also, if you do have a random dresser kind of thing, HAPPY to buy it from you.

Posted by: alektra at July 8, 2011 11:34 PM

Oh, and Spock's Beard? Have you given up and decided prog-rock is the only way to go? ;)

Seriously, long, busy, hard week (still love my job, just so damned busy and a little lonely). THANK YOU!

Posted by: alektra at July 8, 2011 11:36 PM

LOVED it. And the song was ace. It frightens me how fast time goes by.. makes me very sad, actually.

I like reading, but would love a podcactus once a week or so.. :)

Posted by: Jen at July 11, 2011 10:16 AM

I probably said it another time you posted an audioblog, but your voice is just a bit deeper than I expect and it throws me off. (Not that I expect you to sound like a squealy little girl or anything, just more tenor than bass or something haha.)

Posted by: Heather at July 12, 2011 4:02 PM