August 19, 2011

The Weeklies #184

Nope, there's no audio this week. I'm blaming all-day meetings and a shit-load of work. So sorry.

The Weekly Beer. Heavy Seas' Loose Cannon. I had a couple at a restaurant not too long ago and figured out it was brewed in Baltimore. So I figured I must be able to get it someplace close. Damn fine beer, folks. Damn fine.

The Weekly Activity. Road trips!

The Weekly Vegetarian. News broke the other day that Bill Clinton has become a vegetarian. Welcome to the club. Now stay away from interns.

The Weekly Read. With all the meetings, road trips, work and other assorted things, I've got to admit that I haven't been able to finish a book this week. I'm reading a rather promising one but more on that next week.

The Weekly Movies. I was not prepared to like The Fighter. But I absolutely did. Nor was I prepared to think highly of The Lincoln Lawyer. But again, I did. Two excellent movies.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Michelle Bachman won the Iowa straw poll. We're all fucked. But Kate Plus Eight finally got cancelled. The lesson? The world is a weird, twisted place but ultimately karma's a bitch.

The Weekly Question. Political question that does not involve revealing your actual political persuasion - will Obama score a second term?

Posted by Chris at August 19, 2011 6:40 AM
Comments

All I can think about Clinton is that song "Mary Mo... She's a vegetarian..."

Posted by: alektra at August 19, 2011 7:14 AM

On Obama, probably, especially if we've seen the best the Republicans can come up with.

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 19, 2011 8:32 AM

I think he will due to splintering or conflict within the republican party. Though I think the Perry/Palin ticket may be pretty strong.

Posted by: beth anne at August 19, 2011 8:36 AM

I don't think he can. Especially if people like you ever want to retire. Watching the stock markets fall each day, and seeing the prices at the grocery store, not to mention to gas prices, rise, makes me think that there are a lot of very unhappy people.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 19, 2011 8:47 AM

I fear he won't, but hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: Fraulein N at August 19, 2011 9:03 AM

Chris,

No, I don't think that Obama will score a second term. In reality he didn't get the chance to show everything he could do... or bring the change he was hoping for the America ...or "We" didn't give him that chance.

I loved the Lincoln Lawyer and it was recommended by a friend. I was shocked how good it was and I have the Fighter in my Netflix so I will watch it for sure!

Jewels

Posted by: Julie Andel at August 19, 2011 10:37 AM

Chris,

Jewels

Posted by: Julie Andel at August 19, 2011 10:37 AM

Unless he's got a miracle or five up his sleeve, I don't think Mr. Obama will score a second term. I hope Im wrong but, we shall see.

I really dislike Christian Bale. However, his performance in the fighter was phenomenal.

I changed over to veganism, two months ago, due to health concerns and have not looked back. People can save their lives & the planet. /rant

Posted by: JJ at August 19, 2011 12:26 PM

I hope Obama gets a second term, but I fear he won't. Too many people refuse to realize the mess he was left and needed to clean up.

Posted by: Krush at August 22, 2011 1:47 PM

With Clinton's heart history, giving up meat is probably a good thing. I haven't seen The Fighter - I don't like boxing movies, in general, because boxing just...bothers me, for some reason. I did see The Lincoln Lawyer (on a plane!) and really enjoyed it. And not just cuz it had Matthew McConaghey (sp?) and Josh Lucas. Pretty, pretty boys.
Finally, Obama...I have no idea. The Republican candidates seem ludicrous to me, and there's not been much life on the democratic side, but there is a concern that the far, far right may win the day.

Posted by: Heather at August 23, 2011 2:34 PM

As for Obama, a small part of me doesn't care. He sold out on so many things.

I came around to voting for him because I thought he believed strongly on certain core issues and would stand his ground. He has been a big disappointment as he caves on everything that matters.

That being said, I can't see voting for the other side ever in my lifetime as they are too nutty and far right for me to seriously consider voting for them.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at August 24, 2011 3:00 PM

I enjoyed The Fighter as well and thought Christian Bale was incredible. Obama getting another shot, unlikely, though I do not care for him, I certainly do not care for any of the others so I am not really hoping, anticipating, for much of anything in 2012 other than the recycled promises and lies we always get during election time from any and all parties. Find me one not mixed up in all the BS and I will cast my vote for them.

Posted by: Shannon at August 25, 2011 7:57 PM